What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jansman »

Le Mouse wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:41 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:10 pm My own get- home -yomp is 13 to 14.5 miles, depending upon the route taken. I have a get home bag ( GHB). It is all contained in a military surplus rucksack- be about 20 litre I reckon- in black so not to stand out. Not that the bag matters. I have focused upon equipment to preserve core body temperature. 6’x4’ ‘proper’ heavy reusable space blanket ( orange one side , reflective silver the other), it has brass grommets to make a shelter with if needed. Paracord to go with that! 2 foil blankets, and 2 black bin bags- good, heavy ones. They have many uses. Wool hat ( baseball cap for Summer to protect my hairless head), work gloves, socks, lightweight waterproof jacket and trousers. Shemagh, double up as towel, scarf, sun shade for head, water filter etc. Also, there is a military poncho ( again with grommets), which can be used as a poncho/ basha/ or camouflage cover to sleep under. Emergency foil sleeping bag. Not to forget the most important item, a telescopic umbrella. I also have a golf umbrella, in case I am waiting for the RAC at the side of the road.

Next is water. I always have bottles of water in the car, but in my bag there is a US army canteen -1 litre- and aluminium cup in a case. In a WIDE mouth Nalgene bottle ( wrapped in duct tape for repair emergencies) is a Sawyer mini water filter kit and purification tablets. The wide mouth means shallow water can be scooped up if needed- and shallow is the only game in town. A metal mug sits nicely on top, and the void is filled with my favourite Yorkshire tea bags.

In a separate Trangia mess tin with lid is a Dragon Fire army stove, fuel, 2x cigarette lighters, lifeboat matches, and ferro rod, along with tumble drier tinder. Oh yes, and a tea light candle.

Then there is an LED torch ( with flashing light - mode) and batteries, LED headlamp ( with batteries).Anker battery pack for charging phone. Swiss Army knife. That ain’t gonna get me arrested. Map and compass in case I have to go as the crow flies. Clipped to the outside of the bag is an emergency whistle and photon button light. Oh yes- small, basic first aid kit. Plus two trauma bandages.Notebook and pencil/ pen/ sharpie.

I have in there energy/ breakfast bars, 2 pouches of Mexican rice ( boil in the bag in army cup), Snickers, pot noodle - you get the idea. Tea bags of course!

I also have a telescopic hiking pole, as I have bad back/ knees/ hip, and it can also be used to fend off wild animals if I encounter them! ;) I always wear comfortable work boots anyhow, and my army style cargo trousers always contain my Leatherman multi tool, wallet with * cash*, phone, folding Stanley- type work knife, LED Lenser torch and bandana.

When Winter comes, I put in a sleeping bag and folding shovel too. Hope that gives you a few ideas.

PS the bag only weighs 12lb- and that is with the water.
That's very comprehensive Jansman! Reassuringly, I have a lot of that list in my house already. Some already in my handbag. I do like the idea of a walking pole. I would need a lot of extra support walking that distance. The walking route according to Mr Google Maps is about 13 miles and should take just over 4 hours. I would be a bit less confident than Mr Google and say 5 hours is more likely for me and would take into account any diversions that may be needed. Crikey! 5 hours walking! :shock:

I think I have a project for my week off soon!
Of course, you must use what you have ( the most sensible thing and the most economic) , it is what I do. The walking poles are quite reasonably priced too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

The above posts are very relevant to me ... I'm finally going to buy a car :cry: I've avoided one for so long, but for a variety of personal and family reasons, I think it's essential now. There'll be a charming GHB in the boot, of course :) It will be a hybrid, and an automatic, which never occurred to me, but literally everyone I've spoken to has recommended it, since I'm a new driver at my age :? . I'll need the bug home routes I've already worked on, though I've not updated them for a few years.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:40 pm The above posts are very relevant to me ... I'm finally going to buy a car :cry: I've avoided one for so long, but for a variety of personal and family reasons, I think it's essential now. There'll be a charming GHB in the boot, of course :) It will be a hybrid, and an automatic, which never occurred to me, but literally everyone I've spoken to has recommended it, since I'm a new driver at my age :? . I'll need the bug home routes I've already worked on, though I've not updated them for a few years.
Welcome to The Dark Side! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:40 pm The above posts are very relevant to me ... I'm finally going to buy a car :cry: I've avoided one for so long, but for a variety of personal and family reasons, I think it's essential now. There'll be a charming GHB in the boot, of course :) It will be a hybrid, and an automatic, which never occurred to me, but literally everyone I've spoken to has recommended it, since I'm a new driver at my age :? . I'll need the bug home routes I've already worked on, though I've not updated them for a few years.
Yay! Go Team Automatic! :lol:
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Re Walking poles/sticks. These are dual use if chosen well.

T'other half needs to use one and has noticed that this makes him a target in the eyes of some. Problem seems to ave been solved solved with some Canemaster practice. Someone who clearly knows how to use said stick defensively has the local low lifers suddenly changing direction if he twirls it as they start on a converge and intimidate manoeuvre.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Make sure the warranty is still valid my mate bought a ev Kia was 2 years old ex Kia demo owned by them . Advert: full service history 5 years warranty remaining....

Well he's had it 2 years paid for a Kia service and something between the charger and battery pack dies ... Rings them up ... It's missing 2 services sir warranty is invalidated by failing to keep up servicing.. he still had a printed copy of the advert from the dealership... Lots of stamping and stropping and involving his credit card co to issue regulation 100 for the full purchase price they suddenly decided there was a computer issue :lol: £2500 the bill came to :shock:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks jansman, thanks mouse :mrgreen: the dark side it is, then :twisted:

Andy - that's a good point on dotting i and crossing t - I hadn't even got to thinking about that, yikes.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We seem to have acquired a BOV - bugout vehicle. Again. :mrgreen:
Attachments
ABIKE.jpg
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:24 pm Thanks jansman, thanks mouse :mrgreen: the dark side it is, then :twisted:

Andy - that's a good point on dotting i and crossing t - I hadn't even got to thinking about that, yikes.
Car dealers are better than they used to be ( social media has seen to that) , but *some* are still a little bit sharp, shall we say? What I will say is this: if ,as a woman ,a salesman ( and they usually ARE men) ,talks down to you,stand up and walk out. We tend to buy new motors for Mrs.J,then at three years old,I will have it and she has a new one.I accompany her ,quietly,and ask pertinent questions when necessary. Apart from that I stay schtum.We make it clear that the customer is my wife from the start. On two occasions,the salesmen started to talk to me. I pointed them in the proper direction.Still they directed the conversation to me. Now my wife is a six foot tall ,striking redhead,with a temper to match! NEVER,EVER,belittle her! She simply stands up and says **** you! Once ,the salesman was dumbstruck,end of. Second time,he chased us out of the showroom with apology and discount. She told him straight- “I am a person,not my husband’s chattel , so learn how you just lost a 15 grand sale”. What a woman! She is a Vauxhall fan, and we found a dealer that is very customer friendly . Just my 15 grands worth! :lol: :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:36 pm On two occasions,the salesmen started to talk to me. I pointed them in the proper direction.Still they directed the conversation to me. Now my wife is a six foot tall ,striking redhead,with a temper to match! NEVER,EVER,belittle her! She simply stands up and says **** you! Once ,the salesman was dumbstruck,end of. Second time,he chased us out of the showroom with apology and discount. She told him straight- “I am a person,not my husband’s chattel , so learn how you just lost a 15 grand sale”. What a woman! She is a Vauxhall fan, and we found a dealer that is very customer friendly . Just my 15 grands worth! :lol: :lol:
I love that :lol: :lol: :lol: The sales part of the motor industry seems to be stuck in the 1950s sometimes, it's astonishing. Vauxhall. Right. I haven't started ringing around for refresher instructors yet, let alone looking at what car, but I'm soaking up all this new information, thanks.

LIL! I've just seen that photo! Oh my :mrgreen: