What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
izzy_mack
Posts: 455
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by izzy_mack » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:17 am

Made the last of the plum jam yesterday, had more plums than I thought. Going to start on the bramble and apple today, have collected some brambles and may find time to get more, apples in short supply this year, not a good crop, so will have to make the jam more bramble heavy and less apples.

GillyBee
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 am

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by GillyBee » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:56 am

We have done a deal with our neighbour who has a huge Bramley tree and doesn't use the apples. It started as swapping bags of windfalls for jars of apple jelly but we now have permission to pick direct from the tree using our trusty pole and fizzy wayer bottle picking tool. They are not maintained so a bit too rough for backed apples but make fine apple jelly and apple butter once I cut the dodgy bits out.
I am thinking of sticking a note through the door of another neighbour who has a loaded pear tree but am not sure I can face the work needed to process another tree.

Ara
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Ara » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:11 am

Over the weekend, OH and I considered our fruit and vegetable successes and failures over the past year.
Successes: runner beans - the freezer has loads and we are still eating them every day
courgettes - always do well
onions - lots of them which we grew from seed
carrots - the first time EVER that we have managed to grow them to a sensible size
beetroot- good sized and lots of them
kale - outside this year and has done very well
sunflowers - I try and grow these for seeds but this is only the second successful year
purple sprouting broccoli - I always grow too many plants but we are still getting a harvest and the bees enjoy those
that are flowering
Failures: tomatoes - grown in polytunnel but late to take off and none ripe yet
red/black/white currants - blackbirds got into the fruit cage and snaffled the lot
peas - hardly any
butternut squash - suffered from the cold spring and will not ripen this year
cucamelon - recommended by a neighbour but plants didn't thrive for us
apples - deer ate all they could reach before they were ripe (but they have left us some cookers)
Time now to tidy up the garden, find where the blackbirds were getting in and plan next year's crops

User avatar
hobo
Posts: 2395
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Beside the seaside, North Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by hobo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:58 pm

Thanks Ara, similar here, though we’ve no deer to scrump the apples :D Also, thought the tomatoes would never ripen but they’re finally making it, albeit very small. Silly amount of squash…having to be adventurous as we’re already fed up with soup!
Ara wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:11 am
Over the weekend, OH and I considered our fruit and vegetable successes and failures over the past year.
Successes: runner beans - the freezer has loads and we are still eating them every day
courgettes - always do well
onions - lots of them which we grew from seed
carrots - the first time EVER that we have managed to grow them to a sensible size
beetroot- good sized and lots of them
kale - outside this year and has done very well
sunflowers - I try and grow these for seeds but this is only the second successful year
purple sprouting broccoli - I always grow too many plants but we are still getting a harvest and the bees enjoy those
that are flowering
Failures: tomatoes - grown in polytunnel but late to take off and none ripe yet
red/black/white currants - blackbirds got into the fruit cage and snaffled the lot
peas - hardly any
butternut squash - suffered from the cold spring and will not ripen this year
cucamelon - recommended by a neighbour but plants didn't thrive for us
apples - deer ate all they could reach before they were ripe (but they have left us some cookers)
Time now to tidy up the garden, find where the blackbirds were getting in and plan next year's crops

User avatar
diamond lil
Posts: 7923
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:42 pm
Location: Scotland.

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by diamond lil » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:14 pm

Stocked up today on tealights and matches.

jansman
Posts: 9671
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jansman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm

Emptied the car today. Was in a shunt a couple of weeks ago,and the insurance company are picking up on Wednesday.Two wheelbarrows,and Mrs J reckons I need to re evaluate my gear!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 5546
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:41 pm

jansman wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm
Emptied the car today. Was in a shunt a couple of weeks ago,and the insurance company are picking up on Wednesday.Two wheelbarrows,and Mrs J reckons I need to re evaluate my gear!
How's your back & neck :lol: :tinfoil

If you have a towbar fitted and you got rear ended get it replaced if they won't get them to put it in writing it's safe and undamaged :twisted:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

jansman
Posts: 9671
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jansman » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:23 am

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:41 pm
jansman wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm
Emptied the car today. Was in a shunt a couple of weeks ago,and the insurance company are picking up on Wednesday.Two wheelbarrows,and Mrs J reckons I need to re evaluate my gear!
How's your back & neck :lol: :tinfoil

If you have a towbar fitted and you got rear ended get it replaced if they won't get them to put it in writing it's safe and undamaged :twisted:
I am fine.So is the other guy.Low speed collision.I was waiting at the junction to the lake I’d been fishing,and it’s a tight bend.The other fella misjudged the turn with his caravan,and clocked my front end.It’s no biggie ,and it’s what insurance is for. Best of it is ,we are insured with the same company,and both vehicles are being fixed at the same time.Very good service.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

User avatar
diamond lil
Posts: 7923
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:42 pm
Location: Scotland.

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by diamond lil » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:07 am

Stocked up today on cat kibble and more coffee. The very thought of shortages of coffee can make me panic :mrgreen:

Arzosah
Posts: 4997
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Arzosah » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:53 pm

Lil, I can't imagine how disapproving your cat would be if you didn't provide kibble regularly :lol:

I've just got my 2nd big Asda delivery in a fortnight, fewer cancellations and substitutions, thankfully. Very glad to get it too - systemic risks are definitely ramping up. And I'm definitely trying not to take shortcuts by using pasta, or tinned carbs, when I can easily cook ordinary rice. Plus I'm trying to keep up to date with laundry etc - very unpleasant to head into a long power cut with no clean clothes - I'm not expecting the apocalypse just yet, but there are standards :mrgreen:

Post Reply