What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by diamond lil »

Wee trip up to Costco, filling the freezer to bursting point this weekend. Also stock up on vitamins.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:44 am Wee trip up to Costco, filling the freezer to bursting point this weekend. Also stock up on vitamins.
Grapes are full of vitamin c :lol:
san-jose-ca-december-6-260nw-1586957041.jpg
san-jose-ca-december-6-260nw-1586957041.jpg (47.31 KiB) Viewed 691 times
I'm off to get some more shelf stables freezer is fairly full as it is

Need to top my Jerry can up but I'm holding off until the fuel drama eases....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:37 am
Zedsdead wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:53 pm Nowt fancy going on here, just keeping makita batteries and power banks topped up. And staying hydrated :D
That's one way to stay hydrated :lol:

Screenshot_20211001-103400.png

Joking aside have you got the Makita or compatible usb adaptor?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ICEFIRE-Batter ... 354Y&psc=1
Ha, my mate has the coffee maker. It’s not very good.

And yes I have the USB adapter. Handy thing, especially as I have 15 batteries. Also have the torch/lantern
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Zedsdead wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:43 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:37 am
Zedsdead wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:53 pm Nowt fancy going on here, just keeping makita batteries and power banks topped up. And staying hydrated :D
That's one way to stay hydrated :lol:

Screenshot_20211001-103400.png

Joking aside have you got the Makita or compatible usb adaptor?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ICEFIRE-Batter ... 354Y&psc=1
Ha, my mate has the coffee maker. It’s not very good.

And yes I have the USB adapter. Handy thing, especially as I have 15 batteries. Also have the torch/lantern

Sparky who came to work had one said it saved him a fortune in Costa stops :lol: didn't half gobble batteries but as he said he just charges them up when on sites no one questions a tradesman charging drill batteries... If they do well the job won't be getting done :lol:

I've been quiet impressed with the latest Lidl parkside
battery offerings 3 year Warranty ... Ok it's not DeWalt or Makita level stuff by a long shot but it's diyer level and providing you don't bray it it should last ...

We had a old red parkside SDS Drill / rotor stop chaser .. bar been hammered as a drill it did at least 4x diamond 4" extractor fan holes in grade 2 engineering brick plus another in a factory slab concrete manhole inspection chamber ... it finally died with stripping a 20ft X 6ft hot tar pour concrete slab flat roof at my parents with about 2sq ft remaining when the armature gave up the ghost and it looked like bonfire night :lol: it went back to Lidl and we got a refund then bought another next time they came round had the replacement about 10 years now doesn't get used often but it's handy to have for those big jobs

On Their battery tools I've seen to amassed

The chainsaw (great for trimming trees)
Angle grinder
Usb charger
Torch
Pressure washer (it's not a patch on my Stihl but good for washing the chicken coup out)
And the strimmer no match on a petrol one but great for whipping round the garden

Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

I’m just too invested in makita now to use anything else.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Zedsdead wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:58 pm I’m just too invested in makita now to use anything else.

Can't fault Makita stuff :D

I've a DeWalt combi drill it's great but it's "friends" are expensive.. if I was using them for work I'd have better but the odd branch on the allotment or odd drop link on the car the kit is good enough . The 1/2" nut runner cracked off my 280nm hub nuts .. must admit I was supprised . that and if my shed gets broken into I've not lost a massive amount.... Mate "lost" about £1,5k of tools out of his works van last week :shock: dark nights are here and the druggies and no gooders are our in force :evil:

Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Touch wood I’ve never been robbed. Like you my mate got done years ago. Scum bags
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I suffered tool theft some years ago. I got paid out by the insurance but that's not really the point. Two bits of advice i would give. Firstly don't leave tools in a van overnight or for that matter don't load all the tools into the van , just put in what's needed on the day. Ok so there might be the odd occasion when you could do with , say a jigsaw , and it's sat in your home but it generally makes sense. Some complain that it's not practical to remove tools at night but frankly it's a poor excuse in most cases.
The other piece of advice is to dump the nice blow moulded cases the tools come in and replace with a cheap looking plywood box. I use shuttering ply boxes with rope handles complete with dinks , dents and paint splashes. From experience thieves climbed over these boxes to get to something else. If i buy a new tool one of the first things i do is put the plastic box on ebay and get a few quid for it. There will always be those who want to buy these boxes with steal me , sorry i mean Makita or dewalt written on them.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Planning next year’s edible garden. I am moving more towards perennial veg these days. Less work,ever-reliable,and generally pest and drought resistant. Climate change makes crop management a chore. Just taken delivery of my latest guest; Egyptian Tree Onions. That now gives me three varieties of perennial alliums, those,Welsh onions and chives. My garden contains whiterot,and conventional onions don’t thrive.It doesn’t touch these.

Yet more firewood processing today. We are burning each evening now,and soon rattle through it.My coal merchant tells me that logs are starting to creep up in price,as supply is getting tight with the high Winter fuel prices we have to bear. He tells me that people are looking towards their fireplaces.I stay 18 months in front anyway,and I can only see supply shocks ahead.

I shall make sure the outside slammer is properly lagged. It still has an original cast iron overhead cistern,and I would hate to lose it to the cold,although we don’t seem to get such temperatures these days.Famous last words! :lol: Enough paraffin too,for the anti frost heater. I love the smell of that stuff.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

My firewood stocks have dropped a little and there hasn't been as much available to me , meaning free basically. Last week , however , i was on a roofing job and will be there again on monday so will come back with a load of rafter offcuts , pallets and suchlike ( untreated of course) . Not as pretty as nice oak logs ( seriously i have a friend that only likes pretty looking logs next to his woodburner) but either way it burns and keeps us warm.