What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
GillyBee
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 am

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by GillyBee » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:50 pm

Used the last of the apples from the neighbour's tree to make spiced apple butter and gave them a jar to try.
Had an opticians appointment and spent a fortune on new glasses. Which is a prep as I'd be stuffed without them..
Bought a stash of basic fabrics with an eye to making some covers & quilts for cold weather and to make & repair clothes.
Prep fail. I bought about 20kg of gram flour 18 months ago. Most of it has been used but I had to throw 2 bags away today. When opened they were visibly mouldy along one edge. The last 2 bags were fine. I did find some (condensation) damp in the storage cupboard they were previously in but that was the other corner of the cupboard so thought they had escaped. Lesson learned. If storing in a cupboard with an outside wall in an older house watch out for damp!

User avatar
Smudge
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Smudge » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:48 am

GillyBee wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:50 pm

Prep fail. I bought about 20kg of gram flour 18 months ago. Most of it has been used but I had to throw 2 bags away today. When opened they were visibly mouldy along one edge. The last 2 bags were fine. I did find some (condensation) damp in the storage cupboard they were previously in but that was the other corner of the cupboard so thought they had escaped. Lesson learned. If storing in a cupboard with an outside wall in an older house watch out for damp!
If you store your flour in airtight containers or mylar type bags with an oxygen absorber it'll keep for years.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.

GillyBee
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 am

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by GillyBee » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:51 am

Yep. Lesson learned the hard way
I wasn't trying to keep for long term storage, just deep pantry (6-12 months) so did not justify the expense of mylar bags but this has shown that at least a little extra protection is needed. I think I will start keeping my bulk oats bags to recycle. They are mylar type and may help for this intermediate type stuff.

User avatar
Le Mouse
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 am
Location: Area 4

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Le Mouse » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:52 am

So I keep an eye on my parish council website as they are my landlord. I read the meeting papers for their next council meeting and its recorded that my garden is 'unkempt' and that they will be reporting it to the letting agent. I'm rather cross as nobody has spoken to me and they go and publish this on a publicly accessible site. I've decided to see this as a prep as it's made my decision that I won't try and renew the lease when it comes up and it gives me the time to go through my stuff and chuck what I don't need in case I have to seriously downsize in my next move. I've also been out today weeding which I'll do in stages to protect my dodgy back (the reason I haven't done that much weeding of late! :roll: )

I've also been living more on my preps to try and save money, which given the situation above, I'll need to do more of. This isn't a hardship though - the jam I made last month with some tired frozen fruit is absolutely stunning! :D

Zedsdead
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:57 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Zedsdead » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Just everyday stuff here. Nothing spectacular

jansman
Posts: 9777
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jansman » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Le Mouse wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:52 am
So I keep an eye on my parish council website as they are my landlord. I read the meeting papers for their next council meeting and its recorded that my garden is 'unkempt' and that they will be reporting it to the letting agent. I'm rather cross as nobody has spoken to me and they go and publish this on a publicly accessible site. I've decided to see this as a prep as it's made my decision that I won't try and renew the lease when it comes up and it gives me the time to go through my stuff and chuck what I don't need in case I have to seriously downsize in my next move. I've also been out today weeding which I'll do in stages to protect my dodgy back (the reason I haven't done that much weeding of late! :roll: )

I've also been living more on my preps to try and save money, which given the situation above, I'll need to do more of. This isn't a hardship though - the jam I made last month with some tired frozen fruit is absolutely stunning! :D
I would ask for the parish council complaint procedures. If they have a problem with terms of your tenancy, then that is between you and them. Start quoting’data protection’ and see what happens! It is a serious matter.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

User avatar
diamond lil
Posts: 7986
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:42 pm
Location: Scotland.

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by diamond lil » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:56 pm

What Jansman said ^^^ The best form of defence is attack - go for them. They have no right to do that and they are at fault. Also kick up a fuss about how disabled or older tenants get no help with their gardens. Sods :evil:

jansman
Posts: 9777
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jansman » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:23 pm

diamond lil wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:56 pm
What Jansman said ^^^ The best form of defence is attack - go for them. They have no right to do that and they are at fault. Also kick up a fuss about how disabled or older tenants get no help with their gardens. Sods :evil:
Exactly. As lil says , go for them. At work , we have to take data protection really seriously. In your position, Le Mouse, the local council have made public their issue with you. Without getting bolshy, I would say you can start talking about public humiliation and embarrassment. They have breached rules.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

User avatar
Le Mouse
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 am
Location: Area 4

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Le Mouse » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:29 pm

Thank you jansman and lil, I'll look into the complaints procedure. I suspect it's sending an email to the lady who writes the meeting papers and minutes, but it's worth a go! :lol:
jansman wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:23 pm
Exactly. As lil says , go for them. At work , we have to take data protection really seriously. In your position, Le Mouse, the local council have made public their issue with you. Without getting bolshy, I would say you can start talking about public humiliation and embarrassment. They have breached rules.
This is exactly what I've been thinking, but couldn't put into words! Thank you! I might sleep better tonight - this was swirling round my head all night.

jansman
Posts: 9777
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jansman » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:36 pm

Le Mouse wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:29 pm
Thank you jansman and lil, I'll look into the complaints procedure. I suspect it's sending an email to the lady who writes the meeting papers and minutes, but it's worth a go! :lol:
jansman wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:23 pm
Exactly. As lil says , go for them. At work , we have to take data protection really seriously. In your position, Le Mouse, the local council have made public their issue with you. Without getting bolshy, I would say you can start talking about public humiliation and embarrassment. They have breached rules.
This is exactly what I've been thinking, but couldn't put into words! Thank you! I might sleep better tonight - this was swirling round my head all night.
Do it! Take ‘em to the cleaners. I’d even look for some form of compensation- everyone else does it. You have rights under civil law.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

Post Reply