What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jansman »

Bosworth wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:06 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:55 pm Also stocking up on bagged bituminous coal. My merchant has stopped delivery of 50kg open sacks,as he finds more profit in tipped loads of logs and bags of smokeless coal.Also at 60+ he doesn’t want to lift it..can’t fault him. I can get 20 kg of bituminous for £6.50, smokeless for £8.80. Big difference. I have enough for next Winter ( legal to burn), so we shall heat next year at this year’s price.The Eco- guilt- trippers may baulk at that,but the way I approach it is that wind turbines,solar panels and electric cars need fossil fuels to be produced and maintained ( and battery technology also relies on FINITE minerals). The very existence of mankind itself - just breathing and farting- creates greenhouse gas,but that is a convenient oversight.But I digress.
I live in London and unashamedly raid skips for scrap wood. All heat is good heat!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nothing wrong with up cycling.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:04 am Ability to carry 25 litres, with 3 means of resupplying camelbaks at a time.

Camelbak Squadpak.jpg
Just been fettling:

With a Source water bottle converter, just added my Sawyer filter.... Now have the ability to add questionable water to the Squadpak if required
Camelbak Squadpak (2).jpg

Source: https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/accessorie ... ion-system

Sawyer: https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/sawye ... SMQAvD_BwE
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

started clearing an area of birch and holly trees where drug dealers have been peddling their wares in work today,so 1st transit pick up load of logs dropped off at home today,still alot more trees to fell next couple of days so a few more loads to come home,i do like the perks of my grounds maintance job for the local council and might have to think about building another log shed this summer :D :D :D
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Tomorrow I have urgent repairs to do to on my poultry housing.It’s a timely reminder this week,that I make sure I have enough timber,spare fence posts,sand,ballast,cement and fixings in storage.A year ago I was furloughed for 6 weeks and was able to do a lot of repairs because I have what my wife refers to as,” a builders yard” :lol: As I always tell her- you never know when vital repairs may need to be made in an emergency.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but it has bothered me for a while that I have everything on google without paying any attention to what information is being shared. I've started this week and am going to be removing one thing at a time. I'm starting with email and am deciding between FairEmail and Proton Mail. I'd rather pay a small monthly fee and be more private. Next will be a good search engine. I already use Go Go Duck occasionally but need a good all round alternative that works.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Haven't done alot this week of prepping. Don't have the funds to do alot this month. But I'm working on my fitness instead
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:36 pm Haven't done alot this week of prepping. Don't have the funds to do alot this month. But I'm working on my fitness instead
Great! prepping isn't just having a cupboard full of tins. You've the right idea, fitness is just as important. I too have to budget for my preps and this week I had some spare cash so decided that it was time to boost food supplies as I haven't been shopping often and have been using stores more than usual. I took a trip to a bigger town so that I could get a poundshop and farmfoods. ( only have Tesco in my local town). Was horrified to find that there was a lot less for £1 in said shop. Perhaps because I hadn't been there since last year, I noticed more than regular shoppers. Prices in farmfoods had shot up too. I did however manage to get my freezer restocked and tinned soups a sack of onions (almost out of homegrown) and pasta. Toilet rolls that were 4 packs for £10 are now£12. that's a 20% hike. Life is getting expensive even for the basics. Whilst unpacking. I cast an eye over my stocks - at todays prices, replacing it would cost a fortune. Thank goodness I have it!
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:36 pm Haven't done alot this week of prepping. Don't have the funds to do alot this month. But I'm working on my fitness instead
Great! prepping isn't just having a cupboard full of tins. You've the right idea, fitness is just as important. I too have to budget for my preps and this week I had some spare cash so decided that it was time to boost food supplies as I haven't been shopping often and have been using stores more than usual. I took a trip to a bigger town so that I could get a poundshop and farmfoods. ( only have Tesco in my local town). Was horrified to find that there was a lot less for £1 in said shop. Perhaps because I hadn't been there since last year, I noticed more than regular shoppers. Prices in farmfoods had shot up too. I did however manage to get my freezer restocked and tinned soups a sack of onions (almost out of homegrown) and pasta. Toilet rolls that were 4 packs for £10 are now£12. that's a 20% hike. Life is getting expensive even for the basics. Whilst unpacking. I cast an eye over my stocks - at todays prices, replacing it would cost a fortune. Thank goodness I have it!
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

izzy_mack wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:53 am
Yes I've found the same over here. Even the teenager points out how much more expensive everything is now. I have a 12 days worth of food for me and 3 kids in the cupboard storage and a weeks worth between fridge, freezer and kitchen cupboards so far and 3 days of water minus what is in the tank. So it's not alot but it's a start. I'm trying to cover all aspects on a week by week basis so one week food bits, one week water and one week extras like meds, batteries etc
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:07 am
izzy_mack wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:53 am
Yes I've found the same over here. Even the teenager points out how much more expensive everything is now. I have a 12 days worth of food for me and 3 kids in the cupboard storage and a weeks worth between fridge, freezer and kitchen cupboards so far and 3 days of water minus what is in the tank. So it's not alot but it's a start. I'm trying to cover all aspects on a week by week basis so one week food bits, one week water and one week extras like meds, batteries etc
You are in a better position than many,so well done! :D It does seem easier to build storage when you already have a bit behind you. We have been prepping for many years,but we caught a ‘cold’ during the first lockdown last year. Last child left home,and we deliberately ran our stores down to get through them. Then of course,the shelves got stripped,didn’t they? We genuinely ran out of toilet paper! :lol:

I agree that restocking is getting more expensive.All the more reason for keeping a stock of stuff in.

Robert Frost.

Me.