What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by diamond lil »

Arzosah I got two big tubs on amazon.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Aha! I realise I got my original pump spray (that lasted about a week) on Amazon too. I need something in the next few days though, Lil - I found two alive in the house today. I haven't yet used the diatomaceous earth, my supermarket delivery arrived and it takes all my energy to clean and process it.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Nurseandy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:26 am I think all your slugs are in my strawberry patch :lol:
You're more than welcome to keep them :D
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

My back is playing up quite badly this weekend so the garden jobs I had planned have to be shelved. I'm currently sat in a co-codamol haze so my preps have been research related.

I've been trying to work out a safe route walking route from work to home - this is quite a mission as it's a 15 mile trip and there's a massive dual carriageway in the way. Although the only real reason I'd be walking home would be terrible snow or something like that, so I guess there'd be less traffic anyway. Another part of this is developing a GHB for the car, but this is an ongoing endeavour. I have a backpack that I can use, I just need to put useful stuff in it! I'm finding posts on here a wonderful resource for this :)

I've also been researching pickling and preserving. I've found this website: https://www.healthycanning.com, which I'm finding very useful in terms of the safety side of preserving. I don't want to give myself botulism!
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I was in the same boat, LeMouse, when I was commuting to Central London. I ended up with a multipronged approach to the risk of the 15 mile walk home if public transport failed.

1) Know ALL the different public transport routes home to include 3 totally different rail routes and the bus only option which is far to slow to use in normal circumstances. This knowledge is essential anyway to survive London commuting and was used about once a week.
2) Don't go home at all - know which local places might have a bed for the night and carry funds to cover the cost. This seemed the most appropriate for a single night with snow or torrential rain where a 5 hours walk might be hazardous because of the weather.
3) Rent a Boris bike or a Lime bike as far out as it goes to reduce the overall size of the walk. (Or even further and pay the fines for late return.)
4) Comfy flat shoes, blister plaster pack, appropriate outerwear, energy bar and water bottle. Basic map & plan to get me home and possible points where it might be possible to get someone to come pick me up or if an outer limits bus mght help.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:26 pm I was in the same boat, LeMouse, when I was commuting to Central London. I ended up with a multipronged approach to the risk of the 15 mile walk home if public transport failed.

1) Know ALL the different public transport routes home to include 3 totally different rail routes and the bus only option which is far to slow to use in normal circumstances. This knowledge is essential anyway to survive London commuting and was used about once a week.
2) Don't go home at all - know which local places might have a bed for the night and carry funds to cover the cost. This seemed the most appropriate for a single night with snow or torrential rain where a 5 hours walk might be hazardous because of the weather.
3) Rent a Boris bike or a Lime bike as far out as it goes to reduce the overall size of the walk. (Or even further and pay the fines for late return.)
4) Comfy flat shoes, blister plaster pack, appropriate outerwear, energy bar and water bottle. Basic map & plan to get me home and possible points where it might be possible to get someone to come pick me up or if an outer limits bus mght help.
Getting home was always easier when I lived in London. But since moving out of London, and then moving out of town entirely, the prospect of a yomp isn't great. I have to drive when I go into work as public transport here is rubbish and would take over two hours. Thankfully I always wear comfy flat shoes as I have dodgy feet so I'm up on that! :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Le Mouse wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:43 am My back is playing up quite badly this weekend so the garden jobs I had planned have to be shelved. I'm currently sat in a co-codamol haze so my preps have been research related.

I've been trying to work out a safe route walking route from work to home - this is quite a mission as it's a 15 mile trip and there's a massive dual carriageway in the way. Although the only real reason I'd be walking home would be terrible snow or something like that, so I guess there'd be less traffic anyway. Another part of this is developing a GHB for the car, but this is an ongoing endeavour. I have a backpack that I can use, I just need to put useful stuff in it! I'm finding posts on here a wonderful resource for this :)

I've also been researching pickling and preserving. I've found this website: https://www.healthycanning.com, which I'm finding very useful in terms of the safety side of preserving. I don't want to give myself botulism!
Some good recipes here, I use them myself: https://www.sarsons.co.uk/pickling/pickling-recipes
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:59 pm Some good recipes here, I use them myself: https://www.sarsons.co.uk/pickling/pickling-recipes
I like the idea of pickled garlic and pickled ginger! Thanks! :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

Le Mouse wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:43 am My back is playing up quite badly this weekend so the garden jobs I had planned have to be shelved. I'm currently sat in a co-codamol haze so my preps have been research related.

My own get- home -yomp is 13 to 14.5 miles, depending upon the route taken. I have a get home bag ( GHB). It is all contained in a military surplus rucksack- be about 20 litre I reckon- in black so not to stand out. Not that the bag matters. I have focused upon equipment to preserve core body temperature. 6’x4’ ‘proper’ heavy reusable space blanket ( orange one side , reflective silver the other), it has brass grommets to make a shelter with if needed. Paracord to go with that! 2 foil blankets, and 2 black bin bags- good, heavy ones. They have many uses. Wool hat ( baseball cap for Summer to protect my hairless head), work gloves, socks, lightweight waterproof jacket and trousers. Shemagh, double up as towel, scarf, sun shade for head, water filter etc. Also, there is a military poncho ( again with grommets), which can be used as a poncho/ basha/ or camouflage cover to sleep under. Emergency foil sleeping bag. Not to forget the most important item, a telescopic umbrella. I also have a golf umbrella, in case I am waiting for the RAC at the side of the road.

Next is water. I always have bottles of water in the car, but in my bag there is a US army canteen -1 litre- and aluminium cup in a case. In a WIDE mouth Nalgene bottle ( wrapped in duct tape for repair emergencies) is a Sawyer mini water filter kit and purification tablets. The wide mouth means shallow water can be scooped up if needed- and shallow is the only game in town. A metal mug sits nicely on top, and the void is filled with my favourite Yorkshire tea bags.

In a separate Trangia mess tin with lid is a Dragon Fire army stove, fuel, 2x cigarette lighters, lifeboat matches, and ferro rod, along with tumble drier tinder. Oh yes, and a tea light candle.

Then there is an LED torch ( with flashing light - mode) and batteries, LED headlamp ( with batteries).Anker battery pack for charging phone. Swiss Army knife. That ain’t gonna get me arrested. Map and compass in case I have to go as the crow flies. Clipped to the outside of the bag is an emergency whistle and photon button light. Oh yes- small, basic first aid kit. Plus two trauma bandages.Notebook and pencil/ pen/ sharpie.

I have in there energy/ breakfast bars, 2 pouches of Mexican rice ( boil in the bag in army cup), Snickers, pot noodle - you get the idea. Tea bags of course!

I also have a telescopic hiking pole, as I have bad back/ knees/ hip, and it can also be used to fend off wild animals if I encounter them! ;) I always wear comfortable work boots anyhow, and my army style cargo trousers always contain my Leatherman multi tool, wallet with * cash*, phone, folding Stanley- type work knife, LED Lenser torch and bandana.

When Winter comes, I put in a sleeping bag and folding shovel too. Hope that gives you a few ideas.

PS the bag only weighs 12lb- and that is with the water.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:10 pm My own get- home -yomp is 13 to 14.5 miles, depending upon the route taken. I have a get home bag ( GHB). It is all contained in a military surplus rucksack- be about 20 litre I reckon- in black so not to stand out. Not that the bag matters. I have focused upon equipment to preserve core body temperature. 6’x4’ ‘proper’ heavy reusable space blanket ( orange one side , reflective silver the other), it has brass grommets to make a shelter with if needed. Paracord to go with that! 2 foil blankets, and 2 black bin bags- good, heavy ones. They have many uses. Wool hat ( baseball cap for Summer to protect my hairless head), work gloves, socks, lightweight waterproof jacket and trousers. Shemagh, double up as towel, scarf, sun shade for head, water filter etc. Also, there is a military poncho ( again with grommets), which can be used as a poncho/ basha/ or camouflage cover to sleep under. Emergency foil sleeping bag. Not to forget the most important item, a telescopic umbrella. I also have a golf umbrella, in case I am waiting for the RAC at the side of the road.

Next is water. I always have bottles of water in the car, but in my bag there is a US army canteen -1 litre- and aluminium cup in a case. In a WIDE mouth Nalgene bottle ( wrapped in duct tape for repair emergencies) is a Sawyer mini water filter kit and purification tablets. The wide mouth means shallow water can be scooped up if needed- and shallow is the only game in town. A metal mug sits nicely on top, and the void is filled with my favourite Yorkshire tea bags.

In a separate Trangia mess tin with lid is a Dragon Fire army stove, fuel, 2x cigarette lighters, lifeboat matches, and ferro rod, along with tumble drier tinder. Oh yes, and a tea light candle.

Then there is an LED torch ( with flashing light - mode) and batteries, LED headlamp ( with batteries).Anker battery pack for charging phone. Swiss Army knife. That ain’t gonna get me arrested. Map and compass in case I have to go as the crow flies. Clipped to the outside of the bag is an emergency whistle and photon button light. Oh yes- small, basic first aid kit. Plus two trauma bandages.Notebook and pencil/ pen/ sharpie.

I have in there energy/ breakfast bars, 2 pouches of Mexican rice ( boil in the bag in army cup), Snickers, pot noodle - you get the idea. Tea bags of course!

I also have a telescopic hiking pole, as I have bad back/ knees/ hip, and it can also be used to fend off wild animals if I encounter them! ;) I always wear comfortable work boots anyhow, and my army style cargo trousers always contain my Leatherman multi tool, wallet with * cash*, phone, folding Stanley- type work knife, LED Lenser torch and bandana.

When Winter comes, I put in a sleeping bag and folding shovel too. Hope that gives you a few ideas.

PS the bag only weighs 12lb- and that is with the water.
That's very comprehensive Jansman! Reassuringly, I have a lot of that list in my house already. Some already in my handbag. I do like the idea of a walking pole. I would need a lot of extra support walking that distance. The walking route according to Mr Google Maps is about 13 miles and should take just over 4 hours. I would be a bit less confident than Mr Google and say 5 hours is more likely for me and would take into account any diversions that may be needed. Crikey! 5 hours walking! :shock:

I think I have a project for my week off soon!