What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
GillyBee

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by GillyBee »

The workshop roof has been refelted this weekend. The mid week rainstorm was more like a power washer and revealed some leaks. It should be good for another ten years now.
Mr GB and eldest son started and finished as as soon as it was light enough yesterday so that it was done before the heat struck.
The only downside is that the plum tree grown against the side now has some bitumen drips although most of the plums have escaped :evil:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:01 am
jansman wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:36 am Today,or tomorrow,before it gets too warm I am picking up new fowls. The last of my elderly flock expired,

We got 4 pullets earlier this week the last three old birds haven't laid an egg for 2 months ..... So will soon be for the chop no point feeding something that's not laying I refuse to see them as pets but they do get looked after and have plenty of space to be chickens on the allotment they've got a 1 to 2 meter run right round three sides of the 8x10 greenhouse plenty of things to entertain them but if they are not producing they are no good to me. .

Cost us 2lb of strawberries in exchange from a friend who has a cockerel and a incubator :lol:
Nice exchange that! Back in the day,once this lot had stopped laying,I would have ‘helped them along’ as it were. However,Mrs J actually takes an interest in them,so unfortunately (?) they are part of the family.

To be honest, if it were tough times,then my head would rule my heart. Some years ago,a chap in our village,Vince,a keen shooting and fishing man ,told me something: He said,” When you get past 50, you aren’t so keen on killing stuff ,you are nearer your death than your birth.If you are going to eat it,fair enough,but you’ll see.” At that time,I was shooting and coursing anything that moved! I am approaching 60 now,and I know what he meant…but I digress. The new birds are settling in nicely!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jennyjj01= wrote; Shopping for compost and soil and seeds now for my planters, rather cluelessly! I never realised dirt was so complex or expensive

It certainly give credence to the saying,’Where there’s muck,there’s money’! :D
Last edited by jansman on Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My focus since I came back from my few days away has been on stopping ants and flying ants getting into my house, and up to the first floor, it's revolting :( I'd operated on live-and-let-live in the garden, and even in amongst the stones of the patio, but they're really getting into the house now, crawling up an electric cable, and I'm not having it :(
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

This new house has loads of ants outside, all over the paths and steps. I think now I might get rid of them before they move in :shock:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:32 pm This new house has loads of ants outside, all over the paths and steps. I think now I might get rid of them before they move in :shock:
Some ‘natural’ ways to get rid: https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-kill-ants

Or you could just go full-on chemical warfare. :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's brilliant - I'm feeling a bit "hunted" by the ants - when I spray outside, the ones that are underground run away, under the tiling, and come out at a point where an electric cable turns from horizontal to vertical, and they're following it up.

Reading that post, I have diatomaceous earth, liquid detergent (but no glass cleaner - I have a delivery coming tomorrow, I can get some), lots of hand soap, lots of pepper (and mustard - that might do too?), tea tree oil, and I think some borax as well. A fair bit of malt vinegar - white is difficult to get hold of. Okay, I have hope. Thank you jansman!

And PS to Jenny - I can still remember the North Pole/Santa's jacket mnemonic for the compass :lol: woo hoo! Problem sorted.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:48 pm That's brilliant - I'm feeling a bit "hunted" by the ants - when I spray outside, the ones that are underground run away, under the tiling, and come out at a point where an electric cable turns from horizontal to vertical, and they're following it up.

Reading that post, I have diatomaceous earth, liquid detergent (but no glass cleaner - I have a delivery coming tomorrow, I can get some), lots of hand soap, lots of pepper (and mustard - that might do too?), tea tree oil, and I think some borax as well. A fair bit of malt vinegar - white is difficult to get hold of. Okay, I have hope. Thank you jansman!

And PS to Jenny - I can still remember the North Pole/Santa's jacket mnemonic for the compass :lol: woo hoo! Problem sorted.
Sounds like you have enough chemicals to supply the NATO alliance! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

jansman wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:02 pm Some ‘natural’ ways to get rid: https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-kill-ants

Or you could just go full-on chemical warfare. :lol:
That's useful, thank you. I think I have ants under my bath - weird piles of 'gravel' keep appearing just outside the bath baseboard and I think I've seen tiny ants. I hoover it all up and mop, but it keeps coming back. I have lots of white vinegar plus tea tree and lemon essential oils. I can give them a go.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I found it rather useful too. We have ants filing into the kitchen.

Robert Frost.

Me.