What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by diamond lil »

Jenny, what do you do with dehydrated beetroot?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:31 pm Jenny, what do you do with dehydrated beetroot?
I'm still exploring possibilities, because frankly these are probably the easiest crop to grow. I have a glut.

Two main uses so far:-

As a colourant and filler in veggie fake seekh and shami kebabs.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15975&p=200364&hilit=kebab#p200364
Those were fun and almost realistic. My local Indian takeaway makes strangely purple lamb kebabs :)

Beetroot crisps. Unblanched. Shaved with a mandolin, sprinkled with vinegar and dried overnight. Bagged in freezer ziplock bags and salted when opened. That worked with cucumber too.

I expect to pop some in with dry broth mix from Home Bargain to add a little something.
Might also try powdering some to make colourful smoothies.

I might pickle some of the ones I didn't dehydrate or make some chutney. But truth is, pickled beetroot is already cheap.
Undehydrated beetroots can last a long time, too. We can even leave them unharvested for a few months, though they can burn up their own sugar to survive winter.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Ah ok - I haven't done anything like this and just wondered :)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Had a birthday...... Now I qualify for a free 'flu jab :D

One of my gifts was a Bialaddin 305 (1955 M.O.D.) , BB reconditioned it before he gave it to me..... Now he's got to teach me how to light the thing.
Thats a good addition to the lighting preps, just got to get in some more Kero as I've burn all the last lot in the blowtorch
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:07 pm Had a birthday...... Now I qualify for a free 'flu jab :D

One of my gifts was a Bialaddin 305 (1955 M.O.D.) , BB reconditioned it before he gave it to me..... Now he's got to teach me how to light the thing.
Thats a good addition to the lighting preps, just got to get in some more Kero as I've burn all the last lot in the blowtorch

Happy cake day

This any help?

https://youtu.be/S31mEP3TzK8

Kerro.... Home bargains reduced section £1 per litre bottle disguised as BBQ lighter fluid (the gell is in the same bottle so read the label)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:56 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:07 pm Had a birthday...... Now I qualify for a free 'flu jab :D

Happy cake day

This any help?

Kerro.... Home bargains reduced section £1 per litre bottle disguised as BBQ lighter fluid (the gell is in the same bottle so read the label)
I found that vid, thanks for the link so I can find it again.

Home Bargains ? A short trip out may be happening ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:51 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:56 pm

Happy cake day

This any help?

I found that vid, thanks for the link so I can find it again.

Home Bargains ? A short trip out may be happening ;)

And b+m same price though went into our local and the rack was stripped :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
hanhan

Post by hanhan »

Hi all,

This week I am focussing on medicines/over the counter stuff that is handy to have in, especially if it becomes less accessible. I have a separate first aid/trauma kit, but for the medicines kit I was thinking that the following would be useful:

Cough syrup, cough lozenges, zinc lozenges, vitamin C tablets, sore throat sweets, Fisherman's Friends, Olbas inhalers, menthol crystals, Lemsip sachets, Eyewash, Deep Heat cream, Ibuprofen gel, migraine relief gel sheets, Olive oil ear drops, nasal strips, Rennies, Immodium, rehydration sachets, Allergy relief tablets, Bonjela, Dentogen (tooth pain), Daktarin (skin infection), Eurax cream (itchy skin), paracetamol, aspirin, ibuprofen, heat relief pads, deep freeze spray.

Hope this is helpful to someone. Is there anything here you think I might have missed, or anything you wouldn't be without?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

hanhan wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:54 pm Hi all,

Hope this is helpful to someone. Is there anything here you think I might have missed, or anything you wouldn't be without?
If TSHTF, expect stress related issues, so...
Zovirax or similar Cold sore lotion, Thrush treatment, Fungal nail infection treatment, Athletes foot treatment, Hydrocortisone cream for stings and bites (Tell the pharmacist it's for lower body eczema)(Fucibet* is a marvelous prescription only treatment for many skin infections), Clove oil for tooth pain, Stronger painkillers like Co-Codamol, Zantac which is great for treating hangovers.

And.... Though it's a bit naughty and not so easy nowadays, try to acquire or set aside some antibiotics*.

* I'm not getting into morality issues and I hope i don't get flamed for that. There are legitimate online pharmacies that do online consultations. Indeed online doctors consultations proved essential a few times during lockdown. Made me realise how bad certain infections would be without treatment available.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Remember that the own brand versions of Immodium for example are a lot cheraper when stocking up.
I woud add Vicks or equivalent (We use this for athletes foot too) Also some Tea Tree oil and maybe some treatments for nits, worms etc depending on your personal risk profile.