What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:10 am Hi Jansman

Are your tomatoes in the greenhouse? How are you keeping them warm? I have not quite started mine yet as last year they outgrew the windowcill before the greenhouse was warm enough and paraffin was not to be had for love or money for my rather cr@p heater.
Hi GillyBee.Yes, they are in the greenhouse. I start them in an electric propagator,and then move them into an unheated one,with a low paraffin heat at night.I make good use of horticultural fleece too. If I lose them, there is still time to go again- but it usually puts me ahead of the game.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Ive got tomatoes, chillies and bell peppers germinating in the store room and husband has made some very nice staging from scrap wood for the new greenhouse as I wasnt willing to pay shop prices and it hasnt cost us a penny. I ve grown chillies and bell peppers from seed before, but last year I think we were a bit late with them and didnt get a decent harvest. Ive never grown tomatoes from seed so we shall see how they do. Having a few issues with my monthly online supermarket shop at the moment, 15 different items, mostly fresh veg not available at my supermarket of choice so have had to do an additional shop at another supermarket.
Growing old disgracefully!
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Medusa; You should do well with tomatoes as they are a lot easier than chillies and bell peppers, mostly as they have slightly lower heat needs and a shorter growing season.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I'm doing a quick check and stock up on meat, fish and meat products as the first UK grace period ends on April 1st. After that animal products will all need the correct documentation for each consignment arriving in Great Britain, including import forms and health certificates signed by vets.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Lemne wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:02 pm I'm doing a quick check and stock up on meat, fish and meat products as the first UK grace period ends on April 1st. After that animal products will all need the correct documentation for each consignment arriving in Great Britain, including import forms and health certificates signed by vets.
Thanks for that - I'm assuming that cheese is counted as an animal product? Though who knows ... anyway, my feta cheese comes from Greece, and I rely on it, as a vegetarian allergic to cow's milk. Got a supermarket shop coming next week, so I'll do a massive stock up.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Lemne wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:02 pm I'm doing a quick check and stock up on meat, fish and meat products as the first UK grace period ends on April 1st. After that animal products will all need the correct documentation for each consignment arriving in Great Britain, including import forms and health certificates signed by vets.
Yes, thanks for this. I'll start a list on what I get in. Even more Aldi parmesan!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Oh , believe me, meat prices are shooting up! We are paying horrendous prices ( wholesale), and there is no end in sight.I am afraid Brexit is having the effect that all intelligent people knew would happen.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Meanwhile pig farmers can't sell their pigs because they have grown too big for the meat processors:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-55997320
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:26 pm Oh , believe me, meat prices are shooting up! We are paying horrendous prices ( wholesale), and there is no end in sight.I am afraid Brexit is having the effect that all intelligent people knew would happen.
Jansman, thanks a lot for the heads up on that. We are possibly in a sweet-spot where retailers are struggling to sit on the prices, though I did notice today that the per kg prices of Ribeye and other steaks, in the supermarkets are way up and a bit all over the place >£20/kg in Lidl!.
Asda trays of steak in the old 3 for £10 offers were very much smaller than I remember.
Oh hum, best we can do is fill the freezers with the best value we can find. Ongoing, we will all be a bit, well rather a lot, meat poorer.

Well, I guess less meat consumption will be appreciated by some, but not in this house.

Longer term, this will be classic inflation, which the government cannot hide forever. Zod forbid we get double digit inflation, just as this pandemic wanes.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:07 pm Meanwhile pig farmers can't sell their pigs because they have grown too big for the meat processors:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-55997320
WT actual F?
Hey Jansman, want to get in a bit of overtime if the rest of us buy up some unwanted over-size porkers? :D
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong