What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:56 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:29 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:25 pm [

Beer and wine are healthy water or tea substitutes :) Full of vitamins and morale boosters.
Seriously, there's a good place for beer and wine kits in a stash. A bit expensive though.

After the initial outlay kegs barrels etc. Based on a £15 kit and a bag of sugar / malt. And a few co2 bulbs Your looking at about 45p per pint ... Cheaper than a can of coke from the corner shop :lol:

Being alcohol it's lightly antiseptic and wheat , barley , hops are 3 of your 5 a day :tinfoil
We tried kegs, but now use bottles with re-usable flip lids for beer. Easier to pace yourself. 45p per pint makes great beer. One could probably to something acceptable for 30p, all in. Country wines can cost less than £1.50 per bottle and even a classic red can be less that £2.50 from kit.
You don't NEED expensive equipment. Just regular cooking utensils, a bucket, some 5l water bottles and a bit of syphon tube from B&Q.
Our wine and beer stash has been priceless during lockdown.

Wine is even cheaper if you use the hedgerows :lol:

This book is the Bible so much so the original one my dad possesses literally fell to pieces...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283992967054 ... tPEALw_wcB

Think it was one of my now fellow mods who posted me his spare newer copy out about 4 years ago it's got pride of place in his allotted kitchen cabinet to this day :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:07 pm Wine is even cheaper if you use the hedgerows :lol:

This book is the Bible so much so the original one my dad possesses literally fell to pieces...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283992967054 ... tPEALw_wcB

Think it was one of my now fellow mods who posted me his spare newer copy out about 4 years ago it's got pride of place in his allotted kitchen cabinet to this day :lol:
OMG. Recognised that straight away. C J J Berry. 30p lol. I haven't seen my copy in 40 years, somewhere in the loft. Dead right. Blackberry or elderberry wine is damned near free. Never really tried other wild fruit, being a townie.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

120 lollipops is totally acceptable for a stash sweet treat when you have 3 kids... Right?
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Totally! I have a big bag of treat size chocolate bars, normal chocolate bars, and ingredients (other than cream) to make trifle. Also honey/syrup/oats for emergency flapjacks.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

I've got biscuits in my stash and lots of oats and honey(honey for sweetening porridge and also for sore throats)

But my kids are sweets mad so know that is the first thing they would miss
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The only way to keep sweet treats uneaten in this house is to keep them as the raw ingredients and make as needed. We are gradually adding more recipes to the treats list. The latest is marshmallow.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

I hide mine at the back of my storage cupboard which is also blocked shut by some unassuming boxes

Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Woohoo 8 jars of peanut butter, 14 packets of chicken noodles and a kilo of soya beans arrived today

I

peejay

Post by peejay »

Helped with some charcoal production today in a retort at our local wood fuel community. Quite an interesting/therapeutic process, just a pity it really needs to be done a reasonable distance away from neighbours but I'll probably start using their charcoal (or even producing my own using my own firewood) rather than buying more commercial stuff now.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

peejay, that's great - I bought some locally produced charcoal a few years ago for various prepping reasons, and it took ages to find something that didn't have additives in to help it light.