What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jennyjj01 »

Nothing exciting. A few more batch cooking sessions to fill the freezer. I just love Al's kitchen for Indian Restaurant style recipes
One shelf of assorted starters and one shelf of meal components (samosas, kebabs, base gravy, precooked lamb and chicken, assorted prepared curry sauces in ziplock bags.)
Currently soaking some chickpeas, mung beans and other pulses. The last lot, I had big trouble with mould because I did it all wrong. Gotta get used to processing these long term stash pulses, no use waiting for the apocalypse.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I'm curious. How did you manage to send them mouldy? Please let me learn from your mistakes so I don't make them too.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:54 am I'm curious. How did you manage to send them mouldy? Please let me learn from your mistakes so I don't make them too.
Similar with mung beans and turtle beans.

My wrong way:-
Somewhat old beans.
Rinse them and leave them just wet with maybe a 5mm puddle in a plastic microwave pan. Cover with kitchen towel, on the kitchen worktop. Each day, rinse and replenish the water. Forget the odd day. They sprouted ok, but a furry mould pretty suddenly appeared on the top layer. I think the big mistake was missing the long rinse and soak stages. That and missing the odd day.

What I should have done:-
A thorough initial rinsing. A long overnight soak in deep cold water to have them swell and get going. Thorough daily rinse without fail.
https://www.masterclass.com/articles/ho ... an-sprouts.

This site also shows the right way and mentions what causes mould.
https://nutritionrefined.com/guide-to-s ... sprouting/
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Made some strawberry jam, ok only 4 pots but better than nothing. Hope to have enough for another batch soon. Strawberries seem a bit small and not over juicy this year. Probably because I was ill through the worst of the heatwave and couldn't water them.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Thanks Jenny. I think the old beans bit is key as I did have trouble trying to do some pea shoots from old peas but the fresh ones were fine. It was just too tricky to try to remove all the peas that didnt shoot and then they went slimy. My lesson learned is old beans are for casseroles and fresher ones for sprouting.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We are off on holiday for a few days soon. Mrs.J. has sorted ‘internet’ lightbulbs for security purposes. I do have to say,it is a rather impressive set up ( I cannot be bothered,as technology bores me),and she can light various parts of the house with her phone. We also have an Alexa ,which she can turn on and off in the same way,in order to put music or talk on randomly. When I walk the dogs,I notice houses that are suddenly vacated etc. and I am not a crook.So the local ne’er do wells certainly do! On my drive to work today,I noticed caravans that had been moved from front gardens ( it’s school holidays here now).

I shall put extra security measures on the outbuildings too,and make sure that shovels etc. that hang on walls are put away. My back/ hip and dental problems have flared up again,so I am popping painkillers. I have made sure there are plenty of those in my car first aid kit.

Daughter will be briefed on looking after the cockatiels,poly tunnel and container plants. Unfortunately she doesn’t have to worry about my four remaining fowls. Unfortunately I had a fox attack two days ago.I let them have a roam during the day,and I have an automatic door that lets them out at about 6am ( I start work before then) and that’s when the sod nailed them.That issue will be dealt with before I restock - if you get my drift?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

So sorry to hear about the fox attack, jansman, and the pain you're in.

OTOH, very impressed with mrs jansman's use of the lighting, and even Alexa.

Have a lovely time away, the both of you.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:38 pm So sorry to hear about the fox attack, jansman, and the pain you're in.

OTOH, very impressed with mrs jansman's use of the lighting, and even Alexa.

Have a lovely time away, the both of you.
Thanks Arzosah. Regarding the fox issue,it’s a country- type-issue.We have ways of sorting predators out here in the boonies. :D The health issues are something that are becoming part of life, unfortunately. I ain’t the rough, tough ,bloke I used to be.But that ain’t unique.

Mrs J has added yet more smart bulbs it seems. According to local social media, there has been a spate of local burglaries.She’s on it,what a woman!

Anyhow, holiday is upon us,and from a prepping point of view,it will be a change of scenery,and very good for mental health.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

Many houses in our road had small transparent stickers placed on the front doors today advertising locksmiths. Apparently this is an indication that would be burglars have been scouting the houses to see if they are vulnerable. If challenged, the scout can claim to be distributing advertising materials. But the phone number is fake. They come back round a few hours later to see who has not taken the sticker off the door, suggesting that the house is empty
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Have a nice break both of you Jansman. I'm another one who doesnt like foxes and I don't like to see folk in towns feeding and encouraging them, it's not their habitat and they shouldn't be there.