What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
hanhan

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by hanhan »

PreppingPingu wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:29 pm Got made redundant last week, the preschool was about to go into liquidation and suddenly got a loan at the 11th hour from from a company who is interested in taking it on, to keep it afloat. Us staff had meeting today with the potential new owners but the future is totally uncertain and we may not get taken over after all so we may get made redundant anyhow at Christmas. Sooooooo my preps this week have been checking finances, accepting the redundancy now not later,(not that I get very much at all just about 7.5 weeks worth of work it equates to,) and sending CV and letters out so I am in the best position going forward. (I have a job interview lined up already.) If I waited and took the risk and carried on till Christmas but got made redundant anyhow at Christmas, you tend to get a flurry of folks looking for work in January - New Year's resolutions and life re-evaluations etc over the festive period, so by looking for work now, I should beat the rush so as to speak. More chance of getting something now. So oddly enough, taking the redundancy now is preparing against the inevitable later on.

So other preps have been checking what food I have, and working out personal finances to see me through the next few weeks. As luck would have it, I am waiting on almost a grand to come my way from the pet insurance, (doggo had a CT scan a while back,) so that money will be used sensibly food wise and on buying a few Christmas food and basic gift items now in case.

Thankfully, I am reasonably prepared in the toiletries, dried and tinned food department, and I have already bought a frozen stuffed turkey joint for the day,(sorry Jansman - its one of those rubbish Tesco things from the freezer isle :lol: I can hear the butcher cursing now! ) but I bought that a month ago, just in case of supply issues.

That's my preps this week :)
Sorry this has happened coming up to Christmas but great that you are looking ahead and getting on top of it. Ace would be proud 'what a guy' :)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Smoke me a kipper :lol:

Textile snow chains ordered for the wife's car as the ones I had for her last one don't fit this one...

Been on with charging most of my rechargeable kit up again it's amazing how much you accumulate ... From rechargeable batterys (AAA AA c D and pp3 and some lithium cells) , to rechargeable power tools, to torches, power banks and car jump packs . Can't ever have too much power on hand if the power grid goes down be it storm damage or rota cuts....

Tomorrows job is pack my cars winter bag I've got the foundations but a update / check / refresh never hurts
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:54 pm Smoke me a kipper :lol:
Breakfast time soon :mrgreen:
Textile snow chains ordered for the wife's car as the ones I had for her last one don't fit this one...
Say again? Textile? If I want to buy a car next year, I have *such* a lot to learn!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:43 pm
Say again? Textile? If I want to buy a car next year, I have *such* a lot to learn!
I'll try and keep it simple :mrgreen:

I treated my good lady to a new car earlier this year 2 years old with 6k miles on the clock... Her last car which was falling to bits had proper all season tyres on it which I got put on as and when it needed new tyres

You've 3 major types of car tyres

Summer tyres

All seasons

Winter

All have their perks winters are crap in the summer

Summers are crap in winter so many European countries you swap them over as the seasons change

Newer to the market are all seasons which are a bit of both ideal for most of the UK ..

Bit like the analergy of

Trainers
Trail shoes
Hob nail boots

Modern all seasons tyres have improved since this video :

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... nter+tires

This currently has some summer biased tyres but are like new ( good year Dura grip) they do have some inkling of all weather shoes.... But her commute has JUST changed from a 40 mile per day do about 3 miles just in time for winter :mrgreen: . I was looking for some steel rims to chuck some winter tyres on but I've held off knowing she was moving rolls

... So until she kills the current tyres I got her some new socks for her car ;) all seasons / winter tyres have a different rubber compound and shape of tread to hook up in colder conditions and find grip where the usual high mileage low fuel consumption standard tyres lack ...

This is a good site for reviews bit like which tests but by the German AA / DVSA. it's obviously in German but Google translate helps ;)

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/tests/reifen/

I've had winter tyres in the past they were bloody fantastic 11 years ago but we don't see that sort of snow often ...
Screenshot_20211120-005640.png
But space to store / money isn't so readily available now unlike when there was living at home with no kids :lol: I had a full spare set of rims and tyres :geek:

Onto the chains or socks or bit of both

There's several flavours available ...

Up until about 10-15 years ago the "only" option was snow chains steel chains in a formed loop which you hook over the tyre then pull tight to provide grip on snow
KFZ_1861XX_1864XX_01.png
They can be a utter bugger to fit if your not practiced especially if it's cold the arches are full of slush and it's minus 15 been there done it .. it's just taken me 20 minutes to untangle these.. in the warmth of the living room

Screenshot_20211120-003257.png

Then you have the auto sock or similar a textile ring with elastic which you "simply" slip over your tyre drive forward 2 ft and hook the last bit on
550770960.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=auto+sock

Then the textile chains which are a cross over of both technology's

61VORpQhY+L._AC_SY580_.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... xtrem+grip

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Andy, that's so kind, thank you so much! That's amazing. I'm going to download that via Open Office, and make a pdf out of it. I'll keep the Open Office file too, so I can renew the pdf.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:00 pm Andy, that's so kind, thank you so much! That's amazing. I'm going to download that via Open Office, and make a pdf out of it. I'll keep the Open Office file too, so I can renew the pdf.

No problem

One issue I've found is with winter tyres having more grip than the average ford fiesta sailing close to the 1.6mm legal limit is you can stop but them closing up rapidly behind you probably can't ....

That bad winter 11 years ago I had a car riding my bumper into a set of sharp bends. ... I made it out the other end I saw him loose the back end pile into a tree.. why.. I had grip and he didn't you need to learn your own vehicles characteristics and not follow the little Italian super mini thinking your prestige lump of German metal is better when your on bog standard tyres :lol:

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Today's bits and bobs I've been down the allotment armed with the chainsaw and done some pruning of the fruit trees,

Greenhouse cleared ready for winter bar s couple of chillie plants

Done a big clear up of the front and back yard ready for winter and got the outside Christmas lights up whilst it's still mild :lol:

jansman

Post by jansman »

I am currently vac packing , Mylar bagging and oxy absorbing storage foods into plastic buckets. I am now going full- on long- term storage.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Just bought some more chicken food. Thought i'd get it before the prices go up again.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Jansman if ever there was a time for serious food prepping then this is it. Every single thing on the Sainsbugs regular list is up. Today it was double cream up to £1.10. Used to be 85p! I'm loading up this week on tins for us and cat kibble for Beegles.