What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Le Mouse

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Le Mouse »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:27 pm I just harvested the last of, and bulk of my beetroots and I'm pleased as punch! :D
very jealous! Mine were in the same time as yours and I just pulled them to find all leaf, no beet. Oh well. Trying to make beetroot leaf crisps instead.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Beetroot likes poor soil I think.
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:17 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:35 am We are continuing to vac pack white rice,pasta and tea bags too. We are putting in oxygen absorbers and silica gel packs too. I am fortunate to get 1 and 2 gallon lidded buckets from work,and these stack neatly in our store room.
With such long life extension do you still bother to rotate the rice and pasta? I confess I don't particularly.
After those items, we shall sock away some dehydrated mashed potatoes, and the various dried beans we like to eat too. We shall be looking at using the dehydrator more too ,and storing in the same way.
Do you have a favourite dried mash? Have you found a supplier of good value bulk packs of dehydrated mash?
We currently buy and use lots of Morrisons own brand sachets. No particular repacking as I guess the sachets are nitrogen filled.
I have yet to master dehydrating my own potatoes. If you figure that out, please show and tell.
I have been around prepping for 20 years easily now, and the American Long Term Storage Style has always been on my ‘to do’ list.I never saw the need to be fair.Now I do. One driving force is our youngest daughter,whom we are supporting after her divorce ( she was a prepper until she was made homeless), and our eldest has two step children. Our step grandchildren,which my wife particularly,loves. :D

My train of thought leads me to stock carbohydrates,as they are hard to find in Nature.To those you can add foraged or grown greens and vegetables,and whatever protein you can acquire.

In the past,I have stored rice and pasta in screw top plastic barrels to a year past Best Before,and they have been fine. The first buckets I will go two years,then three ,then five. They will be rotated.

As for dehydrated spuds,it’s whatever we lay our hands on. We would sooner buy individual packets,rather than bulk. I could buy bulk from work,but I reckon individually packed ones mean better portion control,and easily handled stock control.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:27 pm I just harvested the last of, and bulk of my beetroots and I'm pleased as punch! :D
This is the biggest crop of anything I've ever grown. I know. Pathetic*, aren't I, but I feel like a proper gardener now.
Have carefully rinsed them and set aside in a basket to let them dry out.
*Took a photo, but posting it just feels too lame. :)
Couldn't resist...
:D
IMG_20211128_133512.jpg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:54 pm
This is the biggest crop of anything I've ever grown. I know. Pathetic*, aren't I, but I feel like a proper gardener now.
Have carefully rinsed them and set aside in a basket to let them dry out.
*Took a photo, but posting it just feels too lame. :)
Couldn't resist...
:D
IMG_20211128_133512.jpg
I was going to get to the end of the thread and then ask you to post the photo :) they're brilliant. Good for you!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Just ordered my first set of FFP2 masks, sadly from Amazon - Lloyds Pharmacy website didn't want to give me the 10% discount they offered me off their own bat. Also got some steri strips, and then a little tub of Vaseline to get me over the free delivery limit (Martin Lewis has a link to a bit of software that can find little items like that for you, leading from the Amazon page on his website). £20.56 spent :)
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:06 pm Just ordered my first set of FFP2 masks, sadly from Amazon - Lloyds Pharmacy website didn't want to give me the 10% discount they offered me off their own bat. Also got some steri strips, and then a little tub of Vaseline to get me over the free delivery limit (Martin Lewis has a link to a bit of software that can find little items like that for you, leading from the Amazon page on his website). £20.56 spent :)
Thank you, you have reminded me to buy some masks as well. I'm buying a box of 50 as I'll share them with Her Mothership :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good stuff, Mouse!

In the interests of fairness, I should point out that the proper Lloyds discount code, for the full website, arrived today, so I'll be looking at that tomorrow.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Tyre man is putting 2 new tyres on the car tomorrow going for all season types good all year round ..

Bought a couple more pillar candles they won't go to waste I use them in the greenhouse in spring if it turns cold to keep the frost off to supplement the paraffin heater...

Keeping on top of charging stuff

Mrs A spent the evening in A&E I sat in the car for 3.5 hours the blanket and random dvd kept me warm and entertained... Oh and the part filled 4lt bottle of screenwash let me top the car up then use it as a urinal as no one but patients allowed in A&E and no public loos /supermarkets anywhere close to the hospital blanket over lap and once bladder empty I had a hot water bottle :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

I just ordered some more Cambridge Masks from ebay. Now have one each on our GHB, car and one for EDC. Best fitting masks I have found so far. I found out about them at a PPE exhibition recently.