What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:01 pm Jansman if ever there was a time for serious food prepping then this is it. Every single thing on the Sainsbugs regular list is up. Today it was double cream up to £1.10. Used to be 85p! I'm loading up this week on tins for us and cat kibble for Beegles.
Mrs a has hit the Amazon / pre black Friday. Sales

20kg of cat biscuits

Years worth of shampoos, soaps , dishwasher tablets now where to stash it all :lol:

Going to have to get a plastic bin for the cat biscuits Fleatard has already been nibbling on the sack
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Where to store is a genuine issue, even for me (living alone in a small 3 bed house) but a few things have gone up by more than 50%, and even my GF fusilli at Asda are almost back up to their old price: having spent months at 45p a pack, its suddenly gone up to 60p. Bound to happen, given the price rises of commodities, but the more we can buy now, the more delayed the impact will be.

I have a confession to make: I needed to buy some nice wine, for presents, so I spent nearly £40 at Waitrose :oops: :oops: :oops: and then it told me I had a £10 off deal if I spent £80 ... organic honey, and marmite, are the same price as at Asda, so I really, really stocked up :lol: My normal Asda shops are going ahead too. I'm recovering from the booster jab an assorted credit card nonsense, so I'm going to get my dehydrator running again.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Arrgghh thanks Andy, I need soap powder and shampoo!
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

We planted garlic and onion sets today, a few weeks later than normal, but presume that they will be ok. The leek seeds which we planted this year turned out to be white onions and actually grew better than the sets, so less sets and will plant a few more seeds in spring. The greenhouse is empty right now and will be used to store some of our overflow wood stores once its chopped (tomorrows job if it isn't raining). I am starting a new job in December which will give me a better work life balance, no shifts, no weekends, no bank holidays etc and a few less hours each week but have taken quite a cut in wages. I keep telling myself its for the best, but money will be tight for a bit until our last debt is gone. I have been looking for gaps in my preps for this reason and we should be ok as long as I continue to be thrifty.
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:01 pm Jansman if ever there was a time for serious food prepping then this is it. Every single thing on the Sainsbugs regular list is up. Today it was double cream up to £1.10. Used to be 85p! I'm loading up this week on tins for us and cat kibble for Beegles.
Cat food has gone daft,hasn’t it? I am of the view that the buying power of your money is now being seriously eroded, so anything stored now has to benefit later. As a society,we have had a very good run I think. Stuff has never been as cheap,but that all seems to be changing - and fast.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Having been a prepper for a while, I hardly ever run out of things, can't remember the last time that happened. So it came as a surprise when, after the electric co. had been working replacing poles, three of my light bulbs blew when they switched on and I discovered I had one bayonet fitting bulb. Plenty of screw fitting etc. Have sorted the problem but made me look at my "other" preps, it's so easy to become complaicent
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I moved to bulk buy for as.many cleaning things as I can a while ago.Arsozah: If space is tight look for concentrates and the eco refills if you can. Solid soap, shampoo & conditioner is also space effective. I now fit pump dispensors on almost everything after seeing the size of "squeeze" my son's were using. That one change alone halved the amount we were using and hence need to store
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Spent the weekend winterizing the house / car / garden

Touched up some loose silicon sealent round the house windows,..

Repaired the kids playhouse the little beggers found the plastic windows had gone yellow / brittle and have kicked / bashed 3 of them out. £13 for a 4'x2' sheet of styrene "perspex" :o

Cleaned out the bank way guttering

Put the Christmas outside light's up whilst it was mild and the ladders were out (they've not been turned on yet)

Car got a check over screenwash boosted up with a stronger mix. Tyres checked for tread and pressures adjusted .. lights checked too along with all the levels .

Gas Boiler service booked for next week

Next few days will see the chicken run altered for winter and the impeding bod lockdown due to avian flu .. it's already kicked in less than 10 miles north as an immediate lockdown in North Yorkshire so might as well be ahead of the game

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... -influenza
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

My car too,is now ‘Winterised’ in a similar way to Yorkshire Andy.Folding shovel and sleeping bag in there too .GHB has been updated with plenty of brew- making kit in there! Refreshed all the batteries in torches,smoke alarms,emergency lighting ,portable radio etc.

Too cold ( for me) to fish today,so I have a shelving project to complete in our storage outbuilding.Got to do it,as there’s stuff waiting to go on them! :lol: Always something to do…
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

jansman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:23 am My car too,is now ‘Winterised’ in a similar way to Yorkshire Andy.Folding shovel and sleeping bag in there too .GHB has been updated with plenty of brew- making kit in there! Refreshed all the batteries in torches,smoke alarms,emergency lighting ,portable radio etc.

Too cold ( for me) to fish today,so I have a shelving project to complete in our storage outbuilding.Got to do it,as there’s stuff waiting to go on them! :lol: Always something to do…
Yes, re-stocking my GHB with tea and coffee sachets - I seemed have used a lot of them out this year on various forest school training days and other stuff. I have re checked my spare clothes in the holdall in the car and realised I have no hat in there anymore - 2 pairs of gloves, spare socks but no hat. Glad I checked. I also bought some screen wash that goes down to -10 ( not that it gets that cold down south here but we can hope for a bit of the white stuff.) Think my car is prepped now. Will only put the shovel in if it looks like snow is possible or I'm going somewhere muddy.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)