What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:33 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:46 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:41 pmGot a couple of solar "street lights £16 for 2 on eBay
Bargain. I ordered some too. At that price, what's not to love. Might even use them as regular backup lamps if they can stay charged from ambient lighting. E.g left hanging in the garage turned off.
Will be interesting to see what batteries they use. I'm hoping it's 3 x 18650 cells.
2x 18650 ;)

I pre charged them before they went up
They arrived. Two for £16. I got the ones with remote controls.
I'm both impressed and amused.
The solar cells are pretty big
The LED's are not overly bright. Each of the 6 lamps has 25 tiny elements. I've yet to see them light up the drive in practice.
These are still good value for money, but it's clear they are built to a tight budget and are pretty flimsy.
Like Yorkshire Andy, I opened them up to charge the unlabelled unbranded batteries. In so doing, I found one to have a broken battery strap and snapped mounting pillar. I handled one of them just a little roughly and promptly snapped off the mounting part of the case. They are very thin hard plastic and I expect a sparrow perching on it will break it again. Fixed ok with Bostik. Also, I figure that the lack of any rubber seal will mean that these are as rainproof as a pair of fishnets :) Mine will get a bit of vaseline applied round the seams before they go up. No, the lamps, not the fishnets :lol: :lol:
The remote controls seem universal, so I can keep going round to Yorkshire Andy's house and turning his on and off :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

So you going around to Andy so in your fishnets covered in ky .

What sort of forum is this .😨

So glad I joined 💏 👅.
Fill er up jacko...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I'm worried :lol:

On the remote front we noticed our old local pub bad the same RF fan remote as in my parents conservatory... We drove the landlord mad one night :lol:

They are not the best quality but £8 you can't grumble the case overlaps from the top so water shouldn't run up hill :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:03 pm I'm worried :lol:
No need to worry.... Unless your lights flash 3 times then again 1 minute later.

Incidentally, There's an SOS button on the remote. Supposed to strobe it, but doesn't seem to do anything.
Amazon reviews of the same product are pretty scathing.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-review ... filter-bar
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:03 pm On the remote front we noticed our old local pub bad the same RF fan remote as in my parents conservatory... We drove the landlord mad one night :lol:
Wicked. But if the opportunity is there, you just have to. It's the law.
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:03 pm They are not the best quality but £8 you can't grumble the case overlaps from the top so water shouldn't run up hill :lol:
I agree. Happy to overlook the build quality at this price. Have tried them outside at night now. They have wide illumination beam but are quite dim. If (and it's a big if) the battery charges enough to get them through the night, I'll be getting half a dozen more. In spite of the Chinese instructions, they don't seem to have an 'always bright' setting, so no good as stand alone torches.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:43 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:03 pm I'm worried :lol:
No need to worry.... Unless your lights flash 3 times then again 1 minute later.

Incidentally, There's an SOS button on the remote. Supposed to strobe it, but doesn't seem to do anything.
Amazon reviews of the same product are pretty scathing.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-review ... filter-bar
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:03 pm On the remote front we noticed our old local pub bad the same RF fan remote as in my parents conservatory... We drove the landlord mad one night :lol:
Wicked. But if the opportunity is there, you just have to. It's the law.
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:03 pm They are not the best quality but £8 you can't grumble the case overlaps from the top so water shouldn't run up hill :lol:
I agree. Happy to overlook the build quality at this price. Have tried them outside at night now. They have wide illumination beam but are quite dim. If (and it's a big if) the battery charges enough to get them through the night, I'll be getting half a dozen more. In spite of the Chinese instructions, they don't seem to have an 'always bright' setting, so no good as stand alone torches.
Yes saw the reviews about the SOS Button not doing anything..

Mode 3 is supposed to be bright always but is dimmer than the mode 2 dim until motion is detected

I'm running mine on 2 a few give good background lighting for our small garden then when you go out they come on bright. Guessing it'll eek some longer life out the battery..

If you want something with a bit more output I got one of these from a flea market

But it needed a pole

https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/240w-234-l ... d=18710815

It's big :lol: I got mine for £10 from a flea market :lol:

B&m are flogging those solar fence lights

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265151069726 ... olid=11000

Utter pants the solar panel is small as is the light output for £8 each if they last the winter I'll be happy

As with all lithium cells if it starts getting dim and not charging turn the light off for a few days to recover or bench charge the cells guessing they are not protected the protected cells cost more than the lights :lol:

PreppingSu

Post by PreppingSu »

Always had 2 oil lamps stashed away but no lamp oil so purchased some this week.

We did a quick inventory of alternative cooking and luckily have 2 big gas bottles stored away.

We have also bought items ready for Christmas, food and pressies.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Processing more firewood today.I am so glad that I went for broke this Summer where solid fuel was concerned.I was talking to our local solid fuel merchant yesterday,and he told me that he is rammed with orders for the next few weeks as people realise they have fireplaces. He said anyone ordering logs next week is on a loser, as to quote him,”They are as rare as rocking horse sh£t right now” :lol:

It’s situations like we have all seen this week ,that make you realise you need to keep stocked up on all the stuff you use regularly,as you never know when it won’t be there.

I have also tidied/ rationalised my GHB ready for when I get my own car back next week. When I cleared it,it took two wheelbarrow loads!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:52 am

I have also tidied/ rationalised my GHB ready for when I get my own car back next week. When I cleared it,it took two wheelbarrow loads!
:lol: did mine about 3 weeks back when I emptied the car boot to take the lad to university mine was a similar amount of stuff. Currently stripped back into a large ammo tin with the trolley jack stacked on top all ratchet strapped to the boots load lashing points to stop it moving in a accident just the full winter kit to sort out at some point

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:57 am
jansman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:52 am

:lol: did mine about 3 weeks back when I emptied the car boot to take the lad to university mine was a similar amount of stuff. Currently stripped back into a large ammo tin with the trolley jack stacked on top all ratchet strapped to the boots load lashing points to stop it moving in a accident just the full winter kit to sort out at some point
That’s exactly the way I stow my gear.Makes it easier to pick up windfall firewood and load fishing kit. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well. After giving away most of my Brexit stash cos we moved into this wardrobe, I've now rearranged the whole microscopic kitchen and refilled the cupboards. But stashing everything in any space, it isnt ideal. Tealights jammed in with dried fruit and sugar cosying in with candles. However, I've got it and that's what matters.