What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Le Mouse

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Le Mouse »

I've now moved house (after far too many trips) and my task is to work out where to put everything. I actually think I have to put physical preps on hold for a bit as I have far too much stuff!!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's a real issue, isn't it - its no good storing stuff if you literally don't know where it is. When I moved house in 2010 it was a downsize, and I'd got rid of lots of stuff already, but the first two years here, I was continually taking stuff to the charity shops. Then in 2017-18 I needed to make space for an influx of more stuff - a few pieces of legacy furniture, but loads and loads of kitchen stuff and fabrics and sewing equipment. I'm having a bit of a reality check this spring, about my ability to grow from seed, and my ability to prosper in any serious global collapse a la meteorite/emp/aliens :mrgreen: type thing, and I continue to use what remains of lockdown to catch up and organise and get new skills and new space in the house (which is then filled with preps :mrgreen: ). Still not done!

2nd vaccination this afternoon.

Herbs I bought last year are packed nicely away right next to salt and pepper type grinders.

Decided how to use the harder nuts I have in stock (I fear for my older fillings if I eat them as is): soak overnight, use a 0.25ml pyrex jug as a mortar, and use the granite pestle from my mortar and pestle set to bash them. Granite mortar can go to the charity shop.

The little camping stove I posted a pic of recently has breathed its last - I practically submerged its joints in oil, and nothing moved, so I can get rid of the 4 cartridges for it, probably via olio, as they have a non-food section.

Found a very reputable online nursery that sends out seedlings of perennials, I'll order from them once I know I'm not out for the count with my vaccination. (Nursery is sarahraven.com, no connection to me).
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Keeping on top of the seedlings this weekend.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

We finally got our new peat bank allocated to us, so we have spent many hours over the last 2 weeks up there. Digging peat for winter fuel is heavy work at first but well worth the effort.

We normally burn wood that I can source almost for free, but peat burns better and for longer. Hopefully we can lower our heating oil bill by using peat.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
jansman

Post by jansman »

Britcit wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:00 pm We finally got our new peat bank allocated to us, so we have spent many hours over the last 2 weeks up there. Digging peat for winter fuel is heavy work at first but well worth the effort.

We normally burn wood that I can source almost for free, but peat burns better and for longer. Hopefully we can lower our heating oil bill by using peat.
Your post caused me to read up on peat burning.Absolutely fascinating! May I ask where you are located?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Afternoon all

Still receiving all the bulk food purchases from amazon. Cheaper than over here and great for my preps. Teenager will live well during the apocalypse as I have massive stocks of instant mash...
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:03 pm Afternoon all

Still receiving all the bulk food purchases from amazon. Cheaper than over here and great for my preps. Teenager will live well during the apocalypse as I have massive stocks of instant mash...
Instant mash is great stuff. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:41 am
Britcit wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:00 pm We finally got our new peat bank allocated to us, so we have spent many hours over the last 2 weeks up there. Digging peat for winter fuel is heavy work at first but well worth the effort.

Your post caused me to read up on peat burning.Absolutely fascinating! May I ask where you are located?
Britcit's Location is given as "Shetland"

Is that the Right of Turbary ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

jansman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:21 pm
Jerseyspud wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:03 pm Afternoon all

Instant mash is great stuff. :D
It's very lazy of me but I rarely make mash from scratch now. Angry Teenager and feral son both love mash and its easier after work.

Middle slightly feral child hates mash. She would live on beans on toast
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Having a chuckle at the feral ones :) in this context, feral is good :)