What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Ara

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Ara »

Stocked up on ibuprofen before the first lockdown began. As sod's law would have it, Mr A and I now take heart meds which advise not taking ibuprofen or other NSAIDs. Oh well, I will give my supply to my sister although it may raise questions (Why on earth have you got so much?) but at least it won't be wasted.
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

If the Ibuprofen has a good date keep it. Could be used as a barter item down the road.
jansman

Post by jansman »

River is flooded,so no fishing today,aaaaaaargh! :lol: So,I started at first light this morning doing prepping- type stuff.First was the usual; sawing and stacking firewood- but then that is part of our personal economy,and right now we are nice and cosy. Got that done in double quick time.

Then I headed out to the farm to get straw layers pellets and concentrated rabbit feed.Got loads in stock now, so we can get to Spring without re- supply if needs be. Went from there to Sainsbury’s. A job I had about eight years ago meant I had to fill my van at Sainsbury’s,so I got a nectar card. Been using it since,and I realised I had a stack of money on it yesterday! Sooo…. I went and stocked up on stuff. At the weekend I reorganised our storage outbuilding. So I was able to see gaps in stores,which I filled today. Looking good.

On the way back I picked up another 30kg of coal too,and that will now see us good into next year easily ,on top of what is already there.But I will keep buying as I pass the merchant.Speaking of fuel, I turned some of the foundry bricks I have into a rocket stove,next to my barbecue. Just in case…
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Think I might get something I've never had before - an electric mini cooker/hotplate just in case the gas goes off :shock: :evil:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:01 pm Think I might get something I've never had before - an electric mini cooker/hotplate just in case the gas goes off :shock: :evil:

Go induction if you have steel / iron pans much more efficient and safer in terms of it cools rapidly once the pans off

Closest thing to a gas cooker the old electric ceramic rings are pants

I paid £30 for mine in Lidl but none coming up atm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-IH201840 ... B093H1SCWZ

Think I paid £60 for my double.. it even goes camping
Screenshot_20211102-203010.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That looks neat Andy, wouldn't take up much room.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Today opened a lidl strong Flour 1.5kg bag I vac sealed in Nov 19 with Jul 20 expiry. Made bread in breadmaking. Perfect
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:27 pm If it counts as a prep, I did a load of BIR curry batch cooking. Almost a whole freezer dedicated to prepared Indian restaurant meal components. Base gravy, precooked meats, assorted samosas, sheek and shami kebabs, some blanched okra. etc. etc. Should save us a fortune on take-aways. Also replenished some mason jars of herbs and spices, from local Asian supermarket.

Dehydrated a mass of beetroot.

Defrosted and inventoried the last of the garage freezers, which led to a rather weird evening meal.
I thought I'd found a portion of leftover minced beef and onion, so I mashed up some spuds and made a shepherd's pie. Hmmmmf!

I've never had a Seitan Chicken Dopioza Shepherd's pie before!!! :D

The re-heated seitan dopiaza was ok, if a bit spongy. Didn't really work with mashed spuds. :lol:
Very useful in the event of extended blackout. Less time and effort preparing meals
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
hanhan

Post by hanhan »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:09 pm Remember that the own brand versions of Immodium for example are a lot cheraper when stocking up.
I woud add Vicks or equivalent (We use this for athletes foot too) Also some Tea Tree oil and maybe some treatments for nits, worms etc depending on your personal risk profile.
Yes, I've found that Superdrug own brand stuff tends to be good and a lot cheaper than the original equivalent. Never thought of using Vicks on athletes foot. How did you discover that worked?
hanhan

Post by hanhan »

Winterprep wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:10 pm If the Ibuprofen has a good date keep it. Could be used as a barter item down the road.
Yes I've got some that have 2026 on. Well worth stocking up.