What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Smudge

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Smudge »

Ordered my wood and coal (smokeless) for the winter, adding a bit more to the cupboards after seeing some local price hikes, continuing with gym, starting new job today.
Attachments
20211017_104629.jpg
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well. I'm a bit stuck. I have in the past filled a big kitchen with tins and dry goods and then had to give away loads because of illness forcing change of diet. Now living in this wee house, I spent months sorting the cupboards out so I could have more space, got them filled, and husband's diabetes seems to have taken a lurch onwards. His BG is going steadily up and nothing we're doing is helping. so I think we have to go right back to basics and hit the Newcastle diet for a while. Bleugh :evil: I will cheat, because I'm not diabetic, but it still means cupboards full of food will lie uneaten. And every tiny thing matters - right down to the gravy you use. It's a PITA.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:31 am Well. I'm a bit stuck. I have in the past filled a big kitchen with tins and dry goods and then had to give away loads because of illness forcing change of diet. Now living in this wee house, I spent months sorting the cupboards out so I could have more space, got them filled, and husband's diabetes seems to have taken a lurch onwards. His BG is going steadily up and nothing we're doing is helping. so I think we have to go right back to basics and hit the Newcastle diet for a while. Bleugh :evil: I will cheat, because I'm not diabetic, but it still means cupboards full of food will lie uneaten. And every tiny thing matters - right down to the gravy you use. It's a PITA.
Lil, I'd genuinely never heard of the Newcastle diet ... is that recommended by the Diabetics Society people, or GPs generally? And as for the tins you have in stock ... nothing easier than 2 people eating different things, if tins are involved. Horrible to have to throw away food. And horrible for him with his diabetes getting worse, of course. The grandfather who lived with us when I was little had diabetes, but I don't remember anything about the management of it, it can't have been a very severe case, I don't think. I have vivid memories of him taking out his glass eye to wash it with soap and water :mrgreen: but that was because of a motorbike crash back in the day :cry:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Smudge wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:25 am Ordered my wood and coal (smokeless) for the winter, adding a bit more to the cupboards after seeing some local price hikes, continuing with gym, starting new job today.
Good luck with the new job!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My preps: Hmph. I brought the makings of my first cup of tea up to bed last night - one of the enormous 'piders with fangs/green slime/breathing fire made its way into the house - I got it to leave via the vacuum cleaner, but sprayed so much insect killer around the living room it'd be kind of toxic to sit in :oops: :oops: :oops: So today my preps are rescuing the vacuum attachment that was left outside all night :oops: , airing the house, and using some sealant underneath the living room radiator to block the huge gaps between the wall and the top of the skirting board.

I'll get my coat. I'm frustrated with myself and my habit of slowly killing myself with adrenaline overload on sight of said 'piders :roll:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

LOL arzosah I feel your fear :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: But I have to say, you need special spray for pppiders. I got it on amazon but it cost £15. You spray it along the threshold of the doors to stop the sods coming in. And round windows. I sleep better now that it's done. Hope no more got into the hoover outside overnight... :twisted:
I dont have many tins, it's mostly dry goods like porridge oats dried fruit or crumble mix and he can't eat any of that now.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:07 am LOL arzosah I feel your fear :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: But I have to say, you need special spray for pppiders. I got it on amazon but it cost £15. You spray it along the threshold of the doors to stop the sods coming in. And round windows. I sleep better now that it's done. Hope no more got into the hoover outside overnight... :twisted:
I dont have many tins, it's mostly dry goods like porridge oats dried fruit or crumble mix and he can't eat any of that now.
Linkie please, on the pppider spray! Thank you!

Gotcha about the dry goods - I know that in Scotland, it's sacrilege to put stuff into your porridge, but dried fruit goes very well in it. And if it's in the microwave (I know, more sacrilege) it doesn't take any more faff to use it up. My morning porridge has oats (any sort, depends on what's cheapest per kilo at Asda), ashwagandha powder (Indian ginseng type herb), organic turmeric, cinnamon, seeds (currently sesame), peanut butter and a little bit of honey :mrgreen:
Ara

Post by Ara »

Arzosah, I'm with you on the arachnids. Someone I know reckons conkers in the corners of rooms keep them away but I've never tried them. Son no 1 was a useful tool in getting rid of them when he lived with us as he can pick up even the ones with legspans the size of dinner plates IN HIS HANDS! If I'm on my own in the living room of an evening, I need to have the vacuum cleaner plugged in and ready for action.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Smudge wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:25 am Ordered my wood and coal (smokeless) for the winter, adding a bit more to the cupboards after seeing some local price hikes, continuing with gym, starting new job today.
[expletive deleted] OMG 340g corned Beef for £4.10!! I thought it was dear at £2.30 in Asda.
I see it's a Nisa store, but still, what the heck!
Food prices just seem to be leaping ahead, even at the big supermarkets. Staples like bread and milk going up tens of pennies at a time.
Time to raid Home Bargain again, but even their prices are going up to mainstream supermarket levels.

Anyway, preps this week:

Defrosted 3 of the 4 freezers and serviced the gennie, which I proved can run them.

Bought a composter and started to fill it.

Bought some seeds from premierseeds direct. Got some Crimson Crush tomato seeds. supposedly blight resistant.
seeds were stupidly dear with only 10 seeds in a pack for £2.38! :shock: Compares badly to the 1,500 beetroot seeds in a pack!

Can anyone tell me how well tomato seeds would work from the tomatoes that I grow. Or is there something special about these 23p 'magic beans' that won't let next generation seeds be any good? I read that seeds from f1 hybrids are hit and miss.

Using home harvested seeds? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23gT5g4k400

My border is now overgrown with beetroot and chard. I literally grew much more than I could eat in just 90 days
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

duplicate deleted?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong