What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by itsybitsy »

It's almost Flying Ant Day - flamethrowers at the ready! :mrgreen:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I've never had ants before, do they all fly or only certain kinds? These ones are wee black things. All over the paths and patio and on the steps but not seen any inside the house yet.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:19 pm I've never had ants before, do they all fly or only certain kinds? These ones are wee black things. All over the paths and patio and on the steps but not seen any inside the house yet.
Most ants nests have LOTS of ordinary little workers that hatch early. They just service the ones that will be queen or male consort and can fly. But then there's usually one HOT day where every nest just opens up and masses of flying ants fly out. The flying ants can be 8mm to 15 mm or so with wings longer than their bodies.
Had a colony in my cavity wall insulation at the previous house. They may still be there.
https://www.natgeokids.com/za/discover/ ... ying-ants/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1476024/flying-ants-what/
Locally we have brown ants and black ants. Don't know what else is different.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

I noticed ants starting to move yesterday in our yard. It’s actually quite a phenomenon.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

As i mow a number of lawns i get to see more gardens than just my own. I've noticed more of the mounds of soil the ants raise in the grass. Seems to be more commonly the reddish brown ants rather than the black ones. Doesn't seem to be a huge problem though.
On the subject of seeing things in the garden there seems to be far less slugs in our garden this year.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

I think all your slugs are in my strawberry patch :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Hot dry weather is bad news for slugs.
peejay

Post by peejay »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:39 am Hot dry weather is bad news for slugs.
Yay! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

The main crop of flying ants were a fortnight ago down here - they hatched underground and crawled up to the surface, I found them when I moved the wheelie bin for the rubbish collection.

My NATO chemical warfare unit not yet put to use :lol: Asda delivery arrived :lol: and I forgot to order the glass cleaner, and they'd run out of ant powder! I may have to go into a shop! Actually, I'm returning some sliders to Mountain Warehouse this week, so I could hop into Robert Dyas, or even Poundland, see what they've got. I need something ready mixed for emergencies :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:16 pm The main crop of flying ants were a fortnight ago down here - they hatched underground and crawled up to the surface, I found them when I moved the wheelie bin for the rubbish collection.

My NATO chemical warfare unit not yet put to use :lol: Asda delivery arrived :lol: and I forgot to order the glass cleaner, and they'd run out of ant powder! I may have to go into a shop! Actually, I'm returning some sliders to Mountain Warehouse this week, so I could hop into Robert Dyas, or even Poundland, see what they've got. I need something ready mixed for emergencies :mrgreen:
I noticed ant powder on a dedicated stand in our local co op
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.