What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:22 pm Here is an article that explores, the naive belief that society can merely substitute one energy source for another- and carry on regardless.
https://consciousnessofsheep.co.uk/2021 ... ying-this/
I feel that is along the lines of what i was saying. Getting used to less travel , less consumption , it seems common sense really . But i find that a lot of people fall into two definate groups. There are those who think we can just replace all the fossil fuels with renewables and just carry on consumning as we are now and then there's the opposite group of people who argue renewables can't replace fossil fuels so we shouldn't try and just keep burning through a finite resource.
I was listening to a radio 4 programme recently and it had a report of the hydrogen hub that is planned in Anglesea. It's a larger version of what is currently operative in the shetlands. Wind turbines providing power but what happens when the wind doesn't blow? That's the clever bit. At the times when there is excess power being generated such as at night rather than halting the turbines the power is diverted to break down seawater to produce hydrogen. Some is exported but a good deal is stored on site to be used in flameless catalytic generators as a backup.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:03 pm Considering the national grid was at breaking point as it was in the early 2000s, I'm not sure how it would cope with people using it to charge their cars as well. Even renewable energy has its back ups
And with that thought in mind, a couple of years back, I invested in National Grid shares. I assumed then, and still do, that they would benefit from some government investment or tax breaks. Heck, the investment is surely needed. They did really well until the world closed down last March, and they have just started into what looks like an uptrend. Share price seems almost proportional to economic activity. At least that was my interpretation. YMMV.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

We will just set Muscat man on them again 😂😂
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jansman

Post by jansman »

Several posts I have made, I have stated that we will be forced back to an almost medieval existence. We shall see.We certainly cannot live as we do now, and that lifestyle is quite recent.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:23 pm Several posts I have made, I have stated that we will be forced back to an almost medieval existence. We shall see.We certainly cannot live as we do now, and that lifestyle is quite recent.
I concur. But globally, that's not going to be acceptable to anyone. Resistance would lead to populist, hawkish governments, especially in militarily powerful nations. Those that have tasted modern life will not give it up without uproar. That leads me to one of two outcomes:
1) The powerful states will try to seize enough resources for their countries and probably destroy much of those resources in the process. A majority would need to DIE Probably via war or deprivation. But success would be short lived.

2) We muddle along until global warming or pandemic thins us out A LOT.

In either scenario, or any that I can imagine, we end up with a much reduced global population. Since there's no Earth2. that needs deaths.

Yes. I'm suggesting apocalypse, one way or another! :tinfoil :tinfoil :tinfoil

Not saying it will be soon, but the clock is ticking. I think really 'we will see' in our lifetimes.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:43 pm
jansman wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:23 pm Several posts I have made, I have stated that we will be forced back to an almost medieval existence. We shall see.We certainly cannot live as we do now, and that lifestyle is quite recent.
I concur. But globally, that's not going to be acceptable to anyone. Resistance would lead to populist, hawkish governments, especially in militarily powerful nations. Those that have tasted modern life will not give it up without uproar. That leads me to one of two outcomes:
1) The powerful states will try to seize enough resources for their countries and probably destroy much of those resources in the process. A majority would need to DIE Probably via war or deprivation. But success would be short lived.

2) We muddle along until global warming or pandemic thins us out A LOT.

In either scenario, or any that I can imagine, we end up with a much reduced global population. Since there's no Earth2. that needs deaths.

Not saying it will be soon, but the clock is ticking. I think really 'we will see' in our lifetimes.
Agreed. Governments KNOW we won’t give up our lifestyle. That is why the placate us with their platitudes.

Like the start of the fall of the Roman Empire; Give the people bread and circuses.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:34 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:43 pm Not saying it will be soon, but the clock is ticking. I think really 'we will see' in our lifetimes.
Agreed. Governments KNOW we won’t give up our lifestyle. That is why the placate us with their platitudes.

Like the start of the fall of the Roman Empire; Give the people bread and circuses.
Well Jansman, That's a cheery tone for the weekend. What's your estimate on timescale. 5, 10, 15, >20 years?

We could have a wager payable in Bitcoin :)

Back in Nov 2016, I would have wagered 4 years That's when I started prepping :) I was happy to be wrong all that time. Long may I/we continue to be wrong.

Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

I have to agree with you both. The planet can not sustain life as it is. Energy, climate change all of it will end in some sort of apocalypse whether it be pandemic, war or anything else
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:00 pm I have to agree with you both. The planet can not sustain life as it is. Energy, climate change all of it will end in some sort of apocalypse whether it be pandemic, war or anything else
Oh hum.......

So to recap...... 3 of us anticipating apocalypse. no-one shouted us down yet. Someone... Anyone????

Realistically, now we have to prepare.... Hmmmmm. Apocalypse is a bit out of scope for my plans. Prepping has its purpose but also has its limits. Sod 'surviving'. My plan is to live as well as possible for a while, which for me involves food.

Only one thing for it.... Enjoy the now!

So. Getting back on topic. "What preps am I doing this week?" Where's that drink? What shall I cook? Who can I hug?

Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Can hug me if you want. Never say no to a hug!