What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jansman »

Now we are getting more consistent daytime temperatures, I shall start ( thinking) about sowing squash, beans, corn etc. My dad always sowed beans on St George’s Day. Since his time our climate has changed and the growing season is rather skewed; starts that bit later, and finishes later these days.

Talking to to neighbours, we were discussing changes locally to rubbish collection. We have brown garden waste bins, which we have to pay for, and it has gone up. My two neighbours both have two bins each, one of which they both fill with grass cuttings. I suggested that if they bagged it and left it on my path, they could do away with a bin each and save some money. I have no grass, but I can use it in one of my five composting bins. Win win!

The council are also reducing the size of the general waste bins as they get replaced. Therefore we recycle more. That’s the theory. I commented that composting vegetable waste is reckoned to save up to 20% bin space. However, those neighbours are not really gardeners- they just have huge expanses of lawn, so don’t compost. One of them has a family who are all vegetarian, and he told me that they get loads of veg waste. So, I have supplied him with two lidded 3 gallon buckets ( I get loads from work) so he can fill one, leave it on my path, I clean it and return. I use literally stones of compost in my no- dig garden, and I am making my own seed compost again.

Staying on the theme of recycling ; There is a chap in our village who builds all kinds of things from pallet wood. On the off chance I stopped by yesterday and asked him if he gets much in the way of off cuts. He nearly bit my hand off! He generates loads and cannot get rid. Four car loads later, he told me there will be more today. He is going to leave two dustbins on the front, and I will collect when passing, which is everyday. My multi fuel burners won’t go hungry. :lol: All fuel prices are rising fast, and this will do both of us a favour.

It proves that there are resources out there for the asking and a bit of organisation. My prepping thoughts these days are not about zombies and asteroid strikes, nor bugging out to the woods. It’s all about the coming societal change that is happening as government pushes towards different transportation/ fuel/ energy policies as a result of global climate change. I truly believe we are going to be forced towards a more local lifestyle as a result.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman, thats absolutely brilliant, well done you! Supplying the neighbours with containers is a brilliant idea. Local use of local resources, permaculture in action.

I'm trying to research eco cleaning at the moment - bicarbonate of soda etc - I think I'm actually over researching, but I'm trying to cut through that today. Meantime, I restored some trellis to its original place: the fixtures were still in the wall, and I wasn't sure how to use them, so I used the holes for nails/screws and threaded through some paracord. Reef knots learned at Brownies came in very handy :mrgreen: patio chairs and table are properly clean, garden hose has been dug out of the rubble and available to be used.

Current problem with my seedlings: the seeds were so tiny, now that some of them have sprouted, they're about a millimetre apart ... I'm going to spray them with water and see if inspiration strikes.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:43 am jansman, thats absolutely brilliant, well done you! Supplying the neighbours with containers is a brilliant idea. Local use of local resources, permaculture in action.

I'm trying to research eco cleaning at the moment - bicarbonate of soda etc - I think I'm actually over researching, but I'm trying to cut through that today. Meantime, I restored some trellis to its original place: the fixtures were still in the wall, and I wasn't sure how to use them, so I used the holes for nails/screws and threaded through some paracord. Reef knots learned at Brownies came in very handy :mrgreen: patio chairs and table are properly clean, garden hose has been dug out of the rubble and available to be used.

Current problem with my seedlings: the seeds were so tiny, now that some of them have sprouted, they're about a millimetre apart ... I'm going to spray them with water and see if inspiration strikes.
Let the seedlings grow bigger until you can handle them. Plants are slow coming on this year because of the prolonged cold. Keep them damp, but not waterlogged.Seeds really do want to grow.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Anyone doubt the need for an emergency bag....

Town near ours.... Big fire ongoing now...
Screenshot_20210418-181953.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Holy shit that's a big fire
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
peejay

Post by peejay »

I decided a few years back to use the Weber starters as they seem to have far less chemicals than others starters (or fluids) but when they run out I'll probably just stick with these which I use for the log burner & work REALLY well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Today we diversified where we hide our preps in the house
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:59 pm Holy shit that's a big fire
200m from a big amonium nitrate fertilizer factory! Few twitchy bums tonight
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:59 pm
Jerseyspud wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:59 pm Holy shit that's a big fire
200m from a big amonium nitrate fertilizer factory! Few twitchy bums tonight
Erm yes I bet there is!!

jansman

Post by jansman »

Gradually sorting my Get Home Bag ( GHB). Down the years I have fluctuated between ultra light and medium heavy. Yesterday,because of an RTA I was in a jam for an hour . I am currently ultra light. I really could have done with a brew! Sure,I had water... so I am now going back to my original Belgian Army Rucksack kit. And the Hexi stove is going back in!

Robert Frost.

Me.