What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Jerseyspud

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Jerseyspud »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:44 pm Mouse, that's great news - more rural too? Lovely.

Jansman - your description of the pigeons is brilliant :lol: I haven't yet read the latest consciousness of sheep post - I'll do that tonight.

Jerseyspud - I find my protein intake to be really crucial - I feel so hungry without it! And if I've only got carbs, I binge on them terribly, its not good.

Preps-wise for me, garden is getting better, I've put a piece of trellis back up, on my brick shed, so I can put a container on the patio and have it grow up the trellis. I keep chatting to the seeds I've just planted, hoping I haven't drowned them. More sawdust from the neighbour with the socking great chainsaw is creating a little path between container beds. I've found the lid to the compost bin :oops: I've been taking care of the finances, where they are and what the interest rate is. I haven't yet done the leaking-the-gaz-out-from-the-rusty-cartridge - I want to do that on Friday. Basically I'm doing lots of little jobs so I can start on another big prepping job.
See I find if I eat too many carbs I become tired and sluggish. Not good if shtf

Also I want it to be balanced as such as with three growing kids they will need a varied diet to grown up healthy. Or at least covering basic food groups!
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Definitely, jerseyspud, I agree with both those points (erm, for me, I don't have kids - I still want balance in my own diet, though!).
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Beans and lentils add moderate protein and store well. You could also add some dried egg and dried milk Dried full fat milk can apparently be used to make mozarella although I am yet to test the recipe I found for this.
We also keep some of the bodybuilding proteins (Soy/whey/collagen) for every day use which we buy in bulk so there is a bit of extra in case of emergency.
Dried egg is OK in pancakes, cakes etc for normal use and it all helps add to the daily protein count.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:14 pm complete with so**ing pigeons! So,Jansman being ever resourceful,I contacted the landlord of next door ( From whence the pigeons are gathering nesting materials!!) and then hopping into my garden for dinner. :( and I am now putting pigeons in the freezer for future consumption. At least I know they have been eating organically! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My mum used to play hell when I dropped the wood pigeons / magpies / grey squirrels in their big garden. And the regular visits from the police as someone didn't like the precious creatures being shot) .... Well I've been moved out 5 years and they are massively over run with them now pigeon crap every where .. (I plucked and gutted the woodies.) . next thing I know they vanished from the freezer turns out my sister lifted them for a "come dine with me" meal for her mates :lol:

Need to pot on my tomatoes this weekend but still getting some very cold nights so they can stay on the windowsill a few more days
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:56 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:14 pm complete with so**ing pigeons! So,Jansman being ever resourceful,I contacted the landlord of next door ( From whence the pigeons are gathering nesting materials!!) and then hopping into my garden for dinner. :( and I am now putting pigeons in the freezer for future consumption. At least I know they have been eating organically! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My mum used to play hell when I dropped the wood pigeons / magpies / grey squirrels in their big garden. And the regular visits from the police as someone didn't like the precious creatures being shot) .... Well I've been moved out 5 years and they are massively over run with them now pigeon crap every where .. (I plucked and gutted the woodies.) . next thing I know they vanished from the freezer turns out my sister lifted them for a "come dine with me" meal for her mates :lol:

Need to pot on my tomatoes this weekend but still getting some very cold nights so they can stay on the windowsill a few more days
When I lived with my parents as a teenager,I used to throw bread onto the roof to draw in starlings and crows,which I shot to feed my ferrets.I used to get regular visits from the law.In the end,my dad got fed up with it and I got a whack across the mush when I mouthed off at the copper. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Jerseyspud wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:48 pm
Also I want it to be balanced as such as with three growing kids they will need a varied diet to grown up healthy. Or at least covering basic food groups!
Tea, Grease, Starch, Stodge and Burnt Crispy Bits :lol:

Balanced= plate in one hand, mug in the other
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:10 pm
Jerseyspud wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:48 pm
Tea, Grease, Starch, Stodge and Burnt Crispy Bits :lol:

Tea is a very integral part of my diet 😂 coffee for the teenager
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:20 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:10 pm Tea, Grease, Starch, Stodge and Burnt Crispy Bits :lol:

Tea is a very integral part of my diet 😂 coffee for the teenager
Beer and wine are healthy water or tea substitutes :) Full of vitamins and morale boosters.
Seriously, there's a good place for beer and wine kits in a stash. A bit expensive though.

What was said of the need for protein is true. A mostly carbs diet is physically so unsatisfying. It has to be experienced to understand what I mean. Surviving on carb stodge is a roller coaster of headaches and emotional outbursts (and seems to knock your chemical/hormone balance for six). We need the 2kCal per day, but that really is just a base. I seem to recall that WWW1 infantry were fed 4kCal per day of whatever they could get.

Canned meats and fish as a protein source are pretty damned expensive. Dilute them (rather than try to replace them) with cheaper soya chunks or soya mince. Powdered egg and protein shakes are great, especially the egg, but they're stupidly expensive. Got to have them. Stash enough to survive long enough to learn how to hunt or trade?
GillyBee wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:43 pm Dried egg is OK in pancakes, cakes etc for normal use and it all helps add to the daily protein count.
OK in pancakes !!!! Dammit :) :) Dried eggs is the bees knees, pancakes, pastry, scrambled, fried, omelette. Well worth the cost of about £12 per kilo. Keeps for years past BBE.

Pulses are high in protein too. Possibly not something we Brits are generally into, but we should learn to embrace lentils and similar far more.
https://www.askaprepper.com/8-cheap-pro ... right-now/
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:25 pm [

Beer and wine are healthy water or tea substitutes :) Full of vitamins and morale boosters.
Seriously, there's a good place for beer and wine kits in a stash. A bit expensive though.

After the initial outlay kegs barrels etc. Based on a £15 kit and a bag of sugar / malt. And a few co2 bulbs Your looking at about 45p per pint ... Cheaper than a can of coke from the corner shop :lol:

Being alcohol it's lightly antiseptic and wheat , barley , hops are 3 of your 5 a day :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:29 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:25 pm [

After the initial outlay kegs barrels etc. Based on a £15 kit and a bag of sugar / malt. And a few co2 bulbs Your looking at about 45p per pint ... Cheaper than a can of coke from the corner shop :lol:

Being alcohol it's lightly antiseptic and wheat , barley , hops are 3 of your 5 a day :tinfoil
We tried kegs, but now use bottles with re-usable flip lids for beer. Easier to pace yourself. 45p per pint makes great beer. One could probably to something acceptable for 30p, all in. Country wines can cost less than £1.50 per bottle and even a classic red can be less that £2.50 from kit.
You don't NEED expensive equipment. Just regular cooking utensils, a bucket, some 5l water bottles and a bit of syphon tube from B&Q.
Our wine and beer stash has been priceless during lockdown.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong