What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Medusa

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Medusa »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:48 pm I've got a food shop being delivered tomorrow, and I was adding to it tonight - but not nearly as much as I wanted. All sorts of things were showing as available, but it wouldn't let me add them, "no online stock". Jam, soy products, maybe a dozen things, I've never had that before. There'd trouble at t'mill.
I do a monthly online shop and top up fresh stuff inbetween as required. Last month 22 items were missing and I ended up doing an additional online shop with another supermarket. Ordered my shopping last night for delivery next week and once again lots of stuff out of stock, lamb was an issue as were some cooked meats and some fresh veg and candles. Bleach is finally unrestricted. I could probably get them if I walked into the shop, but I hate shopping in person and not just because of Covid. I'm feeling a bit deflated generally at the moment and that includes prepping :(
Growing old disgracefully!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great, Medusa. All this about the vaccines is very jolly (until yesterday, when it suddenly got real in terms of production processes) but there's another wave brewing out there, ecological issues are intensifying, financial issues are off the charts, several other crises are bubbling along ready to have their day :(

Honestly, I think of the main issues, and I'm still trying to use this time to catch up on things: my finances, my garden, my fitness (effort is needed most there, but ... ), and my broader prepping efforts. I don't have any control over the macro events level, all I can do is take care of the micro that actually faces me day by day.

As far as shopping is concerned, I don't do it in person either, since long before Covid. It would take all my energy, I wouldn't be left with anything spare, so while I *can* get online shopping, I will. I've ordered a click and collect to try to get some goats cheese, but actually, I'm going to turn that into a delivery order with another supermarket.

Infection rate round here is really low now - dipping under 20 per 100,000, though when I looked around the country, I saw a few cities were still over 100 per 100,000. But one thing I'm going to try really hard to do, when it opens again, is join my local "miniature rifle club" - it's just about walking distance, and if my plan to buy an electric folding bike turns out well, it will be even closer. I went to an open evening one time, and it really put me off - started at 6.30, and because there was a group of schoolchildren there, no one even spoke to me till 8.30, when I *eventually* shot 5 pellets. But I've found out that they give tuition during the day, and have air pistols and air rifles to use there - that'll be great, as I can make a knowledgeable choice on what to buy. What really concerns me is pest control - the little local nature reserve (it follows a stream, its 5 minutes walk to cross it) is a huge reservoir of rats - I've had them in the house twice, and both times it was really difficult to get hold of any pest controller. Poison in the attic works fine, eventually, but I want something more proactive. And if push came to shove, I'd certainly be able to abandon my vegetarianism to go out shooting rabbits (probably on the same little nature reserve! Or the playing fields around it, either will do).

Medusa, is there something local to you you'd be able to do this summer? Or a new "hobby" that would help prepping wise? Or am I teaching you to suck eggs :oops: ? Sorry if so!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Ug, and thinking of getting rid of vermin, here's Australia's current problem: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -australia
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Weather warming up over here so plants have been repotted and in the greenhouse. Potato's planted. Kids are happy
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Spending time getting the garden ready for this year's veg.
I have also made enquiries with the local Laird about being allocated a peat bank. We used to 'cast peats' a few years ago but moved house and havnt sorted a new bank yet. Fingers crossed its sorted soon and we can start digging fuel for this next winter.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Britcit wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:54 pm Spending time getting the garden ready for this year's veg.
Ditto. as my back can testify :cry: Will have to be a bit more paced today. Have just done a shop and replenished some stores so feeling happier about that. Dug up a shrub that was past it's best and planted rhubarb in it's place, slowly turning a flower/shrub bed to a fruit/flower/herb plot.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I'm having my own personal SHTF at the moment. I've been told that I have to move out of my little bungalow. I'm being given plenty of time, but I still have to move on. So preps are looking microscopically at my finances (I might sell my tiny stash of gold), working out how much I will need for bills (my rent is currently all inclusive), and try and find somewhere to live where I can also comfortably work from home as it looks like that's going to keep on for quite a while after lockdown ends. So far I have been boggled by how expensive everything is! :(
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Le Mouse wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:54 am I'm having my own personal SHTF at the moment. I've been told that I have to move out of my little bungalow. I'm being given plenty of time, but I still have to move on. So preps are looking microscopically at my finances (I might sell my tiny stash of gold), working out how much I will need for bills (my rent is currently all inclusive), and try and find somewhere to live where I can also comfortably work from home as it looks like that's going to keep on for quite a while after lockdown ends. So far I have been boggled by how expensive everything is! :(
A horrible situation to be in Mouse, I hope all goes well for you, maybe you'll be lucky and the move will be to a better place for you. I dread being told to vacate my home as prices since I moved in have gone through the roof and frankly I can only just manage my - now - cheaper rent. Where I live there is also a desperate shortage of properties, every one that comes up to rent, even at the horrendous rents they're asking, are fought over by dozens of people. Oh for the halycon days of council housing :?
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

izzy_mack wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:16 am
A horrible situation to be in Mouse, I hope all goes well for you, maybe you'll be lucky and the move will be to a better place for you. I dread being told to vacate my home as prices since I moved in have gone through the roof and frankly I can only just manage my - now - cheaper rent. Where I live there is also a desperate shortage of properties, every one that comes up to rent, even at the horrendous rents they're asking, are fought over by dozens of people. Oh for the halycon days of council housing :?
God yes! This area is dominated by student housing (both neighbours are students), so I will be forced to look further afield. I always knew I'd have to do that anyway. My parents are (separately) in council accommodation and I am currently very jealous of them!

I'm trying to see it as a positive, and I will do all I can to make the move a good one, but I am a bit worried it will end up being a backwards step and I'll end up in a rubbish flat or something.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

So sorry to hear that, Mouse :( that's come along very soon, I think? Hope you can find somewhere that feels right for you.