What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by diamond lil »

That's a pain arzosah. I've cut Sainsbugs from weekly to monthly and I'm going to be miffed if half the stuff is not available..
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Last time I went to my local Sainsbury's I noted that there were a lot of gaps on the shelves. Fresh foods seemed fine but the canned/bottled/packets all seemed to be having trouble. I could get everything I wanted but not always the right brand/price. I dont know if it was a one off as I too have cut my shopping trips to about every 3 weeks.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

It's really tricky, especially for people with allergies and intolerances like me (I'm such an intolerant person :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ). As a vegetarian who has lots of low level allergies, plus I'm allergic to cow's milk and gluten, being short of options can mean I can't buy anything at all. And my shops are once a month too now. Last time, there was no sheep/goat cheese (I'm sure there was, somewhere in the shop, but they substituted with cow's milk). It's the combo of fewer options and deliveries that's the clincher.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I feel your pain Arsozah.
If we ever found ourself on a rationing system I think we'd starve. The staple foods of Wheat/Gluten Potatoes and hen eggs are all off menu as are corn/maize, chicken, beef, and several others oddments found in many processed foods.
Our diet is healthy but looks very odd to outsiders.
The symptoms caused by indulging are both real and very unpleasant. This is one very good reason I try to keep a healthy stash to smooth any bumps in supply.
Thankfully gram flour has stayed available throughout and has proved a good substitute for normal GF flour which we can no longer eat.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Got my prep cat food today for my cats. Then got some extras on my food shop to put in the prep cupboard. Then will be focusing on water when I go to the shop at the weekend.

Eldest is planning a scout expedition this Weekend and is planning to list her BoB as her plan
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jerseyspud wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:04 pm Got my prep cat food today for my cats. Then got some extras on my food shop to put in the prep cupboard. Then will be focusing on water when I go to the shop at the weekend.

Eldest is planning a scout expedition this Weekend and is planning to list her BoB as her plan
We have to consider the animals too. More so than ourselves. A year ago it was a nightmare when the UK went on The COVID Supermarket Sweep! :lol: :lol: We have two dogs and two cats, and aviary birds,and fowls...

Water. I store tap water in barrels,and change it every six months. You can do the same in empty ,clean pop bottles. Just a thought.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yep, for water storage, the 2l bottles (of water, if you like! I don't drink pop :mrgreen: ) are great - easy for arthritic nitwits like me to carry and open, and if they break, its not 10l of water or whatever gushiing over the floor, its 2. Always good.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Ah cool. I wasn't sure about storing tap water in bottle and was buying 5l bottles for a couple of quid when I went to the shop but thst works as well! Yes I'm sure the teenager eldest would happily drink more fizzy drinks in the aid of prepping
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Jerseyspud wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:10 pm Ah cool. I wasn't sure about storing tap water in bottle and was buying 5l bottles for a couple of quid when I went to the shop but thst works as well! Yes I'm sure the teenager eldest would happily drink more fizzy drinks in the aid of prepping
I run the tap until I can smell chlorine then fill the clean bottle all the way to the top.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:02 pm Yep, for water storage, the 2l bottles (of water, if you like! I don't drink pop :mrgreen: ) are great - easy for arthritic nitwits like me to carry and open, and if they break, its not 10l of water or whatever gushiing over the floor, its 2. Always good.
I make sure we have two litre bottles for Mrs J as she struggles to lift things. As the years progress, that is the way we will go,as I don’t want to lift 25 litre barrels.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.