What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by diamond lil »

I'm finding out it's a lot cheaper to make your own everything. Bread cakes biscuits puddings yoghurt pies, the lot.
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:38 pm I'm finding out it's a lot cheaper to make your own everything. Bread cakes biscuits puddings yoghurt pies, the lot.
Especially when you bulk buy the ingredients.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:38 pm I'm finding out it's a lot cheaper to make your own everything. Bread cakes biscuits puddings yoghurt pies, the lot.
I know retail food prices are rocketing, but wonder which items are most cost effective to make yourself and which are least worth doing. Supermarket 'value' ranges can surely be cheaper than home made for some meals.

My starter for ten: Wine- Make it for about £1 per bottle: Beer for about 40p per pint. Bread and cake VFM varies widely depend on the cost of flour which, itself, varies massively.

Home made meals are MUCH, MUCH, cheaper than takeaways, no doubt of that, if we can just master the cooking.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:07 pm
I know retail food prices are rocketing, but wonder which items are most cost effective to make yourself and which are least worth doing. Supermarket 'value' ranges can surely be cheaper than home made for some meals.

My starter for ten: Wine- Make it for about £1 per bottle: Beer for about 40p per pint. Bread and cake VFM varies widely depend on the cost of flour which, itself, varies massively.

Home made meals are MUCH, MUCH, cheaper than takeaways, no doubt of that, if we can just master the cooking.
I can certainly vouch for the cost effectiveness of home brew. I have brewed for 30 odd years.Saves a mint.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

An enforced and complex "Free From" diet in our house means that DIY food is our only option -especially when you see the price of ready made Free From goods.

e.g. vegan mayo is over £2.50 and consists of oil, vinegar, soymilk and a pinch of mustard. Family like the commercial one a little better but will happily eat the diy.
Cakes and biscuits have been totally replaced by home made and sweets are heading the same way. We've been forced into it because so much prepared food contains wheat, egg or corn/maize or potato but I don't miss the prices.
Jam is cheaper to make if you grow/forage fruit. I rarely buy it now.
Pickles are also good. I now have a safe for us Branston variation which is also better value.
And dont get me started on frozen Yorkshire Puddings or Pancake mix, crumble mix, etc in the "normal" aisles. The person who thought of those must be worth a mint......
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

a little trip to B&M after work today to pick up some bicycle puncture repair kits(have a flat tyre on one of my wheel barrows),nice little kit these for £2.49 comes with two little tyre levers,more various tinned meats,aiming to have 20 tins of each at anyone time in the cupboards,and threw 5 bags of tea light candles in the trolly,25 in a bag for a pound,thought emergency lights and the wife likes to have some on the patio in the summer evenings...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Been repairing one of my sheds...... Actually, rebuilding is probably nearer the mark as I've pretty much had to replace the roof (with some fancy plastic stuff I got for free) and three walls (being planked out with pallet boards... Also free).
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
bobble

Post by bobble »

Been digging the garden plots ready to plant spuds and peas.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've got a food shop being delivered tomorrow, and I was adding to it tonight - but not nearly as much as I wanted. All sorts of things were showing as available, but it wouldn't let me add them, "no online stock". Jam, soy products, maybe a dozen things, I've never had that before. There'd trouble at t'mill.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:48 pm I've got a food shop being delivered tomorrow, and I was adding to it tonight - but not nearly as much as I wanted. All sorts of things were showing as available, but it wouldn't let me add them, "no online stock". Jam, soy products, maybe a dozen things, I've never had that before. There'd trouble at t'mill.
Not so much shortages,as fewer options. Having two dogs and two cats,we are very much having to adapt to less options. Nice article here:

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/short ... d-options/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.