Unaccustomed As I Am To Whingeing (Honest!)...

How are you preparing
Dutch_Uncle

Unaccustomed As I Am To Whingeing (Honest!)...

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

Forgive me, I just have to acknowledge how bloody hard it is here to prep properly in comparison to the States, especially when you're poor.

It would be redundant to labour the obvious restrictions we face here when it comes to personal defence, hunting and fishing and so on, but restrictions on medications are just about as bad. I'm on a load of heart meds and as I understand it stopping Beta-blockers suddenly (for one instance) can prove immediately dangerous. If I was In America I'd often be able to buy extra supplies over the counter as long as I could provide my prescription. No such luck here, obviously.
The last time I checked we can't even buy imported fish antibiotics legally online.

I'm sorry for the rant, folks, but I've just spent a couple of fruitless hours trying to find out if there's ANYWHERE within bus-range locally where I can buy a bottle of b*m-b*ggering 6% hydrogen peroxide for treating wounds and clearing earwax; I can legally buy it online but what should cost about a quid is going to cost about six pound a bottle, or something.

Does anyone remember bottles of kaolin and morphine mixture? I do, it was the bee's knees for clearing up the trots and galloping b*m gravy when really needed. I haven't been able to get it for years because, according to various pharmacists I asked, they "stopped stocking it because the junkies would extract the mild morphine mixture which settles on the bottom of the bottle with a syringe then inject it." Pardon the pun, but I really couldn't give a **** what they bloody do, we could use some of it on hand if dysentery is stalking the land.

Another small thing that narks me is how dried beans compare here and there. The impression I constantly get from pantry videos online is that due to chillie con carne being so prevalent on the menu, everywhere Stateside sells ginormous 3k bags of various types for a couple of dollars. What do we get here? Red lentils that I still really don't know what to do with, that's what!

To top it all off, I watched a video from Canadian Prepper the other week where he spent 100 Canadian dollars on preps at his local Dollar store; one of the useful bargains he picked up was a perfectly serviceable cast iron skillet for a dollar! Even the bloody Canadians have it better than we do!

Oof!
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Unaccustomed As I Am To Whingeing (Honest!)...

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deep breaths you won't do your blood pressure any good what so ever :lol:

I agree.. :mrgreen:

Past week Mrs A has been in the manure... Like many her dental appointment in March (if you remember back then they found the woohan flu and dentist cancelled her appointment (much like the dr's that cancelled my blood pressure review). :? ..

Not to worry carry on ... Well she developed tooth ache ... Ring dentist :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: well few weeks ago rung again and got an appointment :D :D :D :D :D day before a text "sorry shut staff member has covid we are shut until further notice "... Over last weekend her pain got bad really bad obvious abscess I had 2 days worth of antibiotics left from my house maids knee she refused them.... Penacillin base

Monday night 50 mins to get through the phone call 111 dental . Nearest appointment 25 miles away on Tuesday . took her to A&E on Monday night on the back of the 111 call as she was in agony and had a obvious abscess ... Your breathing. Out you go not our problem ......

So Tuesday she gets to emergency dentist having avoided getting mugged (litterally thanks to a good Samaritan) :shock: (she couldn't fault the dentist) it needs to come out NOW! . Hull royal should have pulled it last night! .. YOINK... £65 ish please oh and here's a script for penacillin you might need it .. I got home ... Never mind you might need it you NEED it now..... She was sat on the sofa in obvious clinical shock .. managed to get fluids into her and get the antibiotics into her along with some decent pain killers I had left from a hospital visit last year the MIL came on Wednesday to keep an eye on her ....

The day to day systems are fubar

Had I been able to buy amoxicillin she'd have been on them last weekend before the infection really kicked in .. I'm guessing she was less than 24 hours from a sepsis issue she has a high temperature now but it's manageable and is slowly on the mend
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
bobble

Post by bobble »

Hi Dutch Uncle,
Yeah we do seem to be at the back of the race in the uk when it comes to being able to defend ourselves, both physically and healthwise. I looked into herbal medicines a few years back and you may be able to find some alternatives for some of your medications. They used to extract digitalis (a heart medicine?) from foxgloves, aspirin from willow bark and bladderwrack was used to help goiter(thyroid) problems.
There was a scene from the Outlander series where the lead female was trying to make penicillin from mouldy bread! So don't despair, there's a lot of info you can get online.
Chewing raw garlic helps to ease toothache and might help with abscesses🙂
bobble

Post by bobble »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:13 am Deep breaths you won't do your blood pressure any good what so ever :lol:

Past week Mrs A has been in the manure... Like many her dental appointment in March (if you remember back then they found the woohan flu and dentist cancelled her appointment (much like the dr's that cancelled my blood pressure review). :? ..

Not to worry carry on ... Well she developed tooth ache ... Ring dentist :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: well few weeks ago rung again and got an appointment :D :D :D :D :D day before a text "sorry shut staff member has covid we are shut until further notice "... Over last weekend her pain got bad really bad obvious abscess I had 2 days worth of antibiotics left from my house maids knee she refused them.... Penacillin base

Monday night 50 mins to get through the phone call 111 dental . Nearest appointment 25 miles away on Tuesday . took her to A&E on Monday night on the back of the 111 call as she was in agony and had a obvious abscess ... Your breathing. Out you go not our problem ......

So Tuesday she gets to emergency dentist having avoided getting mugged (litterally thanks to a good Samaritan) :shock: (she couldn't fault the dentist) it needs to come out NOW! . Hull royal should have pulled it last night! .. YOINK... £65 ish please oh and here's a script for penacillin you might need it .. I got home ... Never mind you might need it you NEED it now..... She was sat on the sofa in obvious clinical shock .. managed to get fluids into her and get the antibiotics into her along with some decent pain killers I had left from a hospital visit last year the MIL came on Wednesday to keep an eye on her ....

Had I been able to buy amoxicillin she'd have been on them last weekend before the infection really kicked in .. I'm guessing she was less than 24 hours from a sepsis issue she has a high temperature now but it's manageable and is slowly on the mend
Hiya York's Andy,
If your missus can take it, try chewing raw garlic , it might help ease the infection and the pain.
Dutch_Uncle

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:13 am Deep breaths you won't do your blood pressure any good what so ever :lol:

Ye Gods!
Maybe they had a pressing Tik Tok dance routine to choreograph, I suppose.
I do hope she's feeling better soon.
Dutch_Uncle

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

bobble wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:24 amHiya York's Andy,
If your missus can take it, try chewing raw garlic , it might help ease the infection and the pain.
Maybe salt water mouth washing and oil of cloves too.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Dutch_Uncle wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:28 am
bobble wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:24 amHiya York's Andy,
Maybe salt water mouth washing and oil of cloves too.
Been doing all that got to the point clove oil did nothing currently got a litre worth of generic cordisyl
(spl) mouth wash to gargle her way through post treatment
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

If it makes you feel any better, I watched that same video and I'm sure the cast iron skillet was actually a fiver *tries to help
Dutch_Uncle

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

bobble wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:21 am Hi Dutch Uncle,
Yeah we do seem to be at the back of the race in the uk when it comes to being able to defend ourselves, both physically and healthwise. I looked into herbal medicines a few years back and you may be able to find some alternatives for some of your medications. They used to extract digitalis (a heart medicine?) from foxgloves, aspirin from willow bark and bladderwrack was used to help goiter(thyroid) problems.
There was a scene from the Outlander series where the lead female was trying to make penicillin from mouldy bread! So don't despair, there's a lot of info you can get online.
Chewing raw garlic helps to ease toothache and might help with abscesses🙂
Hi bobble. Thanks for that. I have heard that about penicillin, digitalis and aspirin, cheers.
I do need to research alternatives to my meds and I do have to work something out, though I do admit that I worry somewhat about dosage even if I could source and process them.
So far, my plan B is to barter or scavenge where I could. :?
Dutch_Uncle

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:33 amBeen doing all that got to the point clove oil did nothing currently got a litre worth of generic cordisyl
(spl) mouth wash to gargle her way through post treatment
Bless her. I had a dry socket infection after extraction a couple of years ago and I found the generic Cordisyl stuff to be just as good.