Unaccustomed As I Am To Whingeing (Honest!)...

How are you preparing
Dutch_Uncle

Re: Unaccustomed As I Am To Whingeing (Honest!)...

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

pitchshifter wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:35 am If it makes you feel any better, I watched that same video and I'm sure the cast iron skillet was actually a fiver *tries to help
Yes. That's a little better, I suppose. Thanks pitchshifter.

You know, I've long thought English is missing a word to describe how I feel about of North American relatives when it comes to their prepping situation -slightly envious, but pleased for them at the same time.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Oh dear!

This country of ours does have a lot of good points,in fact a LOT more than many places.Whilst Brits whinge about the NHS for instance,it's there for you.Had I lived in USA my wife's cancer treatment would have seriously pushed us into debt,by what I read of their medical insurance system.

There is food in the shops,electricity in the grid,and water in the pipes.Oh yes,I got hydrogen peroxide to clean a cut ladt week from the local pharmacy.£1.80. Just sayin...

Off to work now to keep those shelves stocked. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
redskies

Post by redskies »

bobble wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:21 am Hi Dutch Uncle,
Yeah we do seem to be at the back of the race in the uk when it comes to being able to defend ourselves, both physically and healthwise. I looked into herbal medicines a few years back and you may be able to find some alternatives for some of your medications. They used to extract digitalis (a heart medicine?) from foxgloves, aspirin from willow bark and bladderwrack was used to help goiter(thyroid) problems.
There was a scene from the Outlander series where the lead female was trying to make penicillin from mouldy bread! So don't despair, there's a lot of info you can get online.
Chewing raw garlic helps to ease toothache and might help with abscesses🙂

The heart drugs digitalis & digitoxin are still made from the synthesised active ingredient from Digitalis Purporea, the common Foxglove, but I would caution, very strongly, against attempting this yourself. Regulating dose would be extremely difficult, and it's not something you really want to make a mistake with. I'd be reluctant, with over 30yrs experience, to do so. I can't emphasise enough how easy it would be to kill yourself or someone else with some things, and digitalis is one of them.

Aspirin from willow bark is easier, and viable for almost anyone. Ditto seaweed.

I'd suggest first looking at alternate methods - check out Dr Aseem Malhotra, UK Consultant Cardiologist in this case & then take it from there. Then look at potential substitutes for meds.

All of the herb based applications in Outlander are accurate; Diana Gabaldon is a lovely woman, and she really does do her research properly. But that doesn't mean it's a simple as mix it up and off you go. For example, what's not explained in the series - although it is, clearly, in the books - is that it's not mould that's penicillan. What you need is the substance the mould excretes to fight off other moulds. You also need to be able to stabilise that and preserve it. Thorn apple is another great one. In the series, it's used to loosen the breathing of an asthmatic.

For toothache - garlic is good, so is oil of cloves, but most find the taste a bit off putting. And you don't want to be chewing anything on a raw socket. If you're going to use garlic, slice it and tuck it over the socket. The other thing that's more pleasantly flavoured and also effective is peppermint oil.

Regular salt mouthwashes will help with healing. And if there's bleeding, gather some self heal, steep, as if making tea, then strain and use as a mouth wash. It's a bit less stinging that other astringents & whilst it doesn't taste great, it's effective. Don't swallow it!

Happy to help if anyone has any questions about herbs & general health that I can answer :)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Andy, I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's dental problems! Good grief :( My sister's been having a bit similar - pain started just before lockdown started, and there was *no* help available. She's just had an extraction under sedation (I had to stay with her for 24 hours, medically necessary) and the same thing is about to happen again, staying with her after an extraction. As things opened up a bit, she even had to go to London for a scan of some sort … interesting but unhappy about it, at our age. They couldn't decide what the trouble was till then, x rays didn't show anything :(
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

redskies - thanks for that. Will have a think.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Hi Redskies, thanks for the info! Much appreciated!
redskies

Post by redskies »

Just for the record; abcesses should be taken seriously, most especially by medical personel. That level of infection, that close to the brain, is not something to mess about with. The staff in A&E should be getting their backsides royally booted for sending someone so obviously suffering from a dental abcess.

There's a few things you can do for yourself, before it gets that bad.

A course of echinacea may help.

A very antibacterial mouthwash, held in the mouth for several minutes at least three or four times per day - pulped garlic, salt, cooled, boiled, water.

Tucking a green tea teabag down alongside the gum *might* help. Should be kept there as long as possible. Change it two or three times through the course of the day.

Prevention is better than cure. Stay away from sugar - and sugary foods such as most fruits, grains etc. Take care of your teeth; clean, floss etc.

And if you're suffering, don't tolerate being told to go away. Did that to a friend of mine years ago - female, sudden onset abdominal pain that was evident even with IV morphine. They were going to send her home with paracetamol, but I made a huge fuss, so they kept her in. Lucky really because it was an ectopic pregnancy. Never, ever hesitate to insist on a second opinion. Make a fuss, insist on being treated, whatever it takes. Hell, threaten to phone the media. But don't take chances with your health.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Hydrogen peroxide can be bought from a hairdressing / beauty wholesaler.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Lemne wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:33 pm Hydrogen peroxide can be bought from a hairdressing / beauty wholesaler.
Boots & many other independent pharmacies also sell it.

It's easy enough to dilute down - there's information here - https://www.mychemicalfreehouse.net/202 ... oxide.html
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

redskies wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:54 pm
Lemne wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:33 pm Hydrogen peroxide can be bought from a hairdressing / beauty wholesaler.
Boots & many other independent pharmacies also sell it.

It's easy enough to dilute down - there's information here - https://www.mychemicalfreehouse.net/202 ... oxide.html
I wasn't aware that Boots sold 6%, they only sold 3% last time I looked.