When to use your food stash

How are you preparing
Jerseyspud

Re: When to use your food stash

Post by Jerseyspud »

Personally I would take it to the local authority

And maybe leave it in the garden till then just in case 😂
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Firstly give it a shake to see if there is still liquid in it. That should tell you if the seals are still ok if there is. Try turning the valve , does gas come out of it or is it seized? If you want to keep the stove itself but not the canister then i'd disconnect it and let it degas outside. If it's degassing how are you going to take it to the tip anyway . You can't take it in the car as all that gas will just be filling the car or are you going to walk there with a canister hissing away in your hand. For that matter would it even be safe to take it whole to the tip and then disassemble it there? Probably be a risk to others. For what it's worth i've taken one apart and the gas comes out quite slowly really.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:13 pm But I *won't* be using it (sobs quietly). My question about the cartridge is specifically how to dispose of it safely? Is it okay to let it degass in the middle of the garden, for instance? Or do I wait to take it to a local authority tip?
With grenfell here. Let it blow out in the garden.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Is it really bad that I’d be tempted to put it in a hot incinerator with the lid off to see what happened?! 🤦‍♂️
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Bosworth wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:46 pm Is it really bad that I’d be tempted to put it in a hot incinerator with the lid off to see what happened?! 🤦‍♂️
No... I'd be tempted to do the same
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Tada! Grenfell, jansman, that's the vote, degassing it is :)

Bosworth, jerseyspud - you bad people :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I've had one like this (not quite as rusty).

As several people have said, dump the can well away from everything and let it outgas...... Empty cans can go into recycling

Then check the rubber 'doughnut' seal around the spike, if thats torn, cracked or rotten (it'll be slimey and/or stuck to the can) then its either a new seal (if you can find one) or a new stove.

Check the valve moves, its such a simple design it either works or it doesn't

If the pot arms are stuck try WD40, rust on the pot arms is irrelevant as long as the arms aren't eaten away.

The other option is let Bos or Spud blow it up for you :twisted:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks for that, forgecorvus :) those are great tips about checking it out. You know what, I'll video it outgassing, and if something happens, I'll post it on here :mrgreen:
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:12 pm My teenager likes to raid the stash when she's hungry.

Need to lock the cupboard really
we have 4 teenagers at home and a 22yr old at uni and oh how they like to do a midnight raid at times though in all fairness the eldest lad who is 16 did come up with a good idea this weekend when i was talking to him about me remembering what is in the cupboards,he said why dont you put white boards on the inside of cupboard doors and when its been used or added update the white board,which to be honest i thought was not abad idea...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

I’ve been the same about that, built up a nice supply in case of shortage but then never cycled through it, some stuff I had to chuck out because it had gone bad, I hate the wastage of food above a lot of things as I was brought up with ‘there are people in the world starving’ mentality, correctly too.
Up in the wet South Lakeland