Bandages & Dressings

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Bandages & Dressings

Post by diamond lil »

Could I ask for advice re bandages, dressings, and other essentials for a home first aid box? Not meds, I have all I need of those - but I have no bandages or dressings of any kind and we live a long way from the nearest chemist.
featherstick

Re: Bandages & Dressings

Post by featherstick »

I rely on Elastoplast Knee and Elbow patches when out with the kids - extra large and sticky.

Elastoplast finger strips are good too - extra long to go around a finger.

Otherwise for more serious injuries I have a selection of HSE medium and large wound dressings, which have the pad attached to the bandage to bandage someone up.

If you were worried about a very serious injury e.g. chainsaw or axe or similar, you could get a few Israeli dressings, which have a pressure bar to put pressure directly on the wound. And/or a tourniquet.

Tap water is apparently fine for washing wounds, no need to bottles of saline.

Needle-nose tweezers to remove foreign objects, and a few tubes of some sort of disinfectant/antiseptic cream for when it's a grubby surroundings.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Must admit I read that as bondages :shock:

Lots of very fancy bandages (phew) out there but from the top the basic cohesive (vet) bandages take some beating..

With a gauze or wound pad they become a good pressure dressing and if mid way through you let the roll go it won't unwrap...

Can also be used on strains or sprains.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cohesive-Banda ... coh&sr=8-5

Then you move to the standard first aid kit dressings with a elastic roll and sewn in wound pad
A HSE or bsi refill kit is a cheaper way to get hold of them.. and will stop 95% of heavy bleeding

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safety-First-A ... 8213701899

Nothing fancy mind

Then you move onto trauma dressings these range from cheap basic to expensive bells and whistles jobbies the mutts nuts is the oales modular built in z gold gauze and occlusion layer for sucking chest wounds or blast bandages.(traumatic amputation) Closely followed by the Israeli bandage and the relience medical trauma fix bandages

Add some wound compresses and 3m transpor tape too
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Thanks both ;) I don't want fancy, just wanted something that was better than ripping up a clean pillowcase/towel. Much appreciated.