Help with shopping/building the stash

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Help with shopping/building the stash

Post by diamond lil »

Preppers I could do with advice please. You're out and about and I haven't been to a shop since March.
I depend on Sainsbugs online delivery, every week. But the prices are going up and up and the choice is steadily being cut. Where, in your experience, is cheapest and best for tins and weekly essentials? Is it Aldi? We're currently spending £60 a week and that's without tins for the stash (can't afford them!) and without meat, which I get separately online. Essentials in this house are cream, yoghurt, bread, eggs, bog rolls, fruit, veg etc. Really bugging me spending this much for two people who hardly eat! :evil:
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Help with shopping/building the stash

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Home bargains

B&M

Farm foods
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Bugger. Bit hard to get to but we could do it. Thanks Andy 8-)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:24 pm Bugger. Bit hard to get to but we could do it. Thanks Andy 8-)

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/everyday-essentials
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:24 pm Bugger. Bit hard to get to but we could do it. Thanks Andy 8-)
Farmfoods - Scottish company. Nearest to you.https://www.farmfoods.co.uk/store-finder.php

Jan and me are finding our budget being hammered.Its not easy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:02 pm Preppers I could do with advice please. You're out and about and I haven't been to a shop since March.
I depend on Sainsbugs online delivery, every week. But the prices are going up and up and the choice is steadily being cut. Where, in your experience, is cheapest and best for tins and weekly essentials? Is it Aldi? We're currently spending £60 a week and that's without tins for the stash (can't afford them!) and without meat, which I get separately online. Essentials in this house are cream, yoghurt, bread, eggs, bog rolls, fruit, veg etc. Really bugging me spending this much for two people who hardly eat! :evil:
Aldi is very good for all those essentials you listed, plus I've not noticed their prices increasing. They are pretty good on tins - I think their tinned chopped tomatoes are massively superior to the 'Aldi price match' Tesco version, which are poor quality IMO. If you're thinking of going into the shop (or sending someone else on an errand), going later in the evening is a quiet time. I think they are all open till 10pm now (but do check your local one!), and they are quieter after about 7.30pm. There's also a mid-morning quiet window too, or at least there is at my local one.

I'm finding my food budget vanishing and on top of that I'm buying Mum's food too so I've had a couple of months where I've run out of money :shock:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Farmfoodsno good, the only one within easy reach has a tiny cramped wee park. Aldi is possible but only if it's quiet as it's not a big shop. TY preppers.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Aldi own brand cooking sauces pretty cheap (59p for sweet and sour), but they benefit from adding a bit of puree and dried veg.
Check out Iceland. Since they introduced their warehouse brand, they've had some cheap staples and some larger cans and jars. I got VERY cheap john west salmon there and dolmio at £1 a jar. Iceland now do delivery too.
The major supermarkets are ramping prices up hugely and eliminating a lot of the best of their smart price/everyday value ranges.
Lidl for home brand tinned stuff, rice and durum wheat pasta.
Branded weetabix and jammy dodgers at Home Bargain and B & M seems to be second grade, if there is such a thing.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Iceland won't deliver away out here, but I can reach one that's next door to a Lidl and has a good big carp park... that's an option. TY.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Asda is much cheaper than Sainsbo - I only use Sainsbo to get a smaller "collection" slot, that I can carry in the trolley, or when they give me a voucher - I had a delivery from them yesterday, first voucher I've had for ages, and it was £12 off an £80 shop. Like you, Lil, I haven't gone in to any shops (I did walk round a big charity shop that had no one else in there, to buy a completely new seed sprouter for £5, but thats all, no supermarkets at all). Given that you want to stick with "no other buildings" as I do, then finding one that delivers is paramount next to price, surely?

Good luck with it. A lot of people down here seem to be assuming the problem's over, I don't know how the R rate is managing to stay as comparatively low as it is.