Lockdown?

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: Lockdown?

Post by jansman »

Looking at Italy,the term 'lockdown' is rather a misnomer.Everyone to stay at home, " except for buying food and GOING TO WORK"!

In the UK, not going to work will spell disaster to many,many households that live on the financial precipice as it is. A lot of the folks you have observed ' stocking up' have probably ' done their dollar' this month,or put it on credit cards. I am fortunate in that I can take a financial hit ( would rather not though) as for me No Work = No Pay.

Supply- wise,we are good for a full month.I have been running our stores down purposely since our daughters left home,and now we have a very good rotation.Timing could have been better,but a month will do ( it's probably more ,but I never overestimate), water is zero problem and if ,and I mean IF, there were power supply issues,then we have plenty of wood,coal and bottled gas.

I am with Deeps on this,it will be something or nothing.The only reason the governments of the world are flapping is not because of a relatively few mortalities,but the economic fallout.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

It would be interesting to see how italy's lockdown compared to china. We know cities there were locked and exports plummeted but were people still relatively free to move around within those cities for work and shopping?. I know i've seen footage of quiet streets but were people actually confined to their homes?
Interesting report on Beyond 100 days last night from italy . Again the streets were quiet but not totally deserted and a couple of oldish women who were interviewed said they could still go to the shops and travel on the trains. The reporter showed us a form that had to be filled in to travel with a warning that falsification could lead to prison but driving down the motorway he commented that he hadn't been asked to produce the form by any officials and that he hadn't seen any police checkpoints.
The report also said the china is sending something like 1000 ventilators (?) and 2 million face masks to italy , read into that what you like.
To be totally honest i'm still a little puzzled by this whole thing. Worldwide there have been , to date , 109,838 confirmed cases and 3805 deaths , last year there were 5million cases of flu and around 650,000 deaths. Why wasn't there lockdowns etc for that? Even if the numbers of covid19 are underreported that's still a long way off. More die of obesity and road deaths yet the markets don't panic and governments don't shut down economies.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I'm still of the opinion that the figures from Asia are somewhat "clouded" and we should be watching Italy for more genuine and honest figures on mortality rates etc.

The videos from China are only what the regime want the world to see IMO, so again I am very skeptical of the official releases. The number of social media blogs and videos posts from citizens under quarantine in the country have all but stopped.

I agree there is likely more to this than meets the eye, it is far to suspicious, my conspiracy alerts are working overtime at the moment. LOL. :tinfoil

For example, an economic collapse was past due anyway and this does make a perfect cover story does it not? :tinfoil
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:45 am
For example, an economic collapse was past due anyway and this does make a perfect cover story does it not? :tinfoil
Makes a good conspiracy but i'm not convinced on that last point. Growth , growth , growth seems to be the mantra of the ruling classes so i really can't see why they would deliberately wreck the source of their own wealth. I've seen some comments that it is so that "they" can have tighter control over the rest of us but even that seems fraught with problems. Another theory i've heard is that it's an American job to damage the chinese economy but again with economies so intertwined that theory has big whopping holes in it.
Perhaps , just perhaps it's all the work of Greta Thunberg and environmentalists . From that view it's probably done more than any other , less air travel and oil consumption down by over four million barrels a day , oil price down which serves to bankrupt already heavily indebted frackers and general wealth destruction. Not that i believe that one either.
One thing that does amuse me is when we are told not to panic and buy trolley loads of toilet roll yet we are ok with the markets panicking and wiping trillions off the books.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We've both retired early due to health probs so have had time to rub off the corners. I think you have to be able to blank out your partner to stay sane. Find something to do in a different room, or get immersed in a book or website.
We've got everything we need here now to sit tight for a month or two. I think. The problem is that you don't notice chinks in the armour until something hits you :mrgreen:
I hate cooking more than anything on earth (apart from tennis!!) but I'm doing menu plans just to make myself feel useful. Also going to start work on growing some food as soon as the weather warms up a wee bit. Nice to have some organic salad with all the tinned meat in the stash...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

QUOTE: To be totally honest i'm still a little puzzled by this whole thing. Worldwide there have been , to date , 109,838 confirmed cases and 3805 deaths , last year there were 5million cases of flu and around 650,000 deaths. Why wasn't there lockdowns etc for that? Even if the numbers of covid19 are underreported that's still a long way off. More die of obesity and road deaths yet the markets don't panic and governments don't shut down economies.
Grenfell, these other causes of death didn't come in a massive tidal wave and flood countries in 8 weeks and stops normal life. And this is a totally new unknown virus, they don't know what it does or can do.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

grenfell wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:10 am
Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:45 am
Makes a good conspiracy but i'm not convinced on that last point. Growth , growth , growth seems to be the mantra of the ruling classes so i really can't see why they would deliberately wreck the source of their own wealth. I've seen some comments that it is so that "they" can have tighter control over the rest of us but even that seems fraught with problems. Another theory i've heard is that it's an American job to damage the chinese economy but again with economies so intertwined that theory has big whopping holes in it.
Perhaps , just perhaps it's all the work of Greta Thunberg and environmentalists . From that view it's probably done more than any other , less air travel and oil consumption down by over four million barrels a day , oil price down which serves to bankrupt already heavily indebted frackers and general wealth destruction. Not that i believe that one either.
One thing that does amuse me is when we are told not to panic and buy trolley loads of toilet roll yet we are ok with the markets panicking and wiping trillions off the books.

I'm not. My ISA lost 10 percent of its value in 48 hours. Although, I did actually laugh because what else can you do?! :lol:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I meant more that we are ok with a pretty small number of people , " the market" deciding just how much things are worth rather than a personal "we" . Someone panics and buys a hundred toilet rolls those toilet rolls still exist , a stockbroker panics and wealth disappears.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:42 am QUOTE: To be totally honest i'm still a little puzzled by this whole thing. Worldwide there have been , to date , 109,838 confirmed cases and 3805 deaths , last year there were 5million cases of flu and around 650,000 deaths. Why wasn't there lockdowns etc for that? Even if the numbers of covid19 are underreported that's still a long way off. More die of obesity and road deaths yet the markets don't panic and governments don't shut down economies.
Grenfell, these other causes of death didn't come in a massive tidal wave and flood countries in 8 weeks and stops normal life. And this is a totally new unknown virus, they don't know what it does or can do.
SARS ,and MERS are similar to a degree and aids was a completely new virus yet non saw the closing down of whole countries. "Regular" flu spreads every year , mutates and kills an awful lot of people , we know what it does and can do yet we perhaps under react to it. I'mnot saying the response to covid 19 is an over reaction more that responses to known infectious and dangerous dieseases seem to not be proportionate.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:38 pm
SARS ,and MERS are similar to a degree and aids was a completely new virus yet non saw the closing down of whole countries. "Regular" flu spreads every year , mutates and kills an awful lot of people , we know what it does and can do yet we perhaps under react to it. I'mnot saying the response to covid 19 is an over reaction more that responses to known infectious and dangerous dieseases seem to not be proportionate.
Couldn't agree more mate, I'd like them to put the flu deaths up daily too, come to that, the road traffic fatalities as well.....

"In the news today, another 30 people got Corona viurs, there was one death. In other news, 1500 people got the flu and 50 died. On the roads there were 78 crashes, leading to 3 people dying.... and finally, lets laugh at this silly panda....."