Lockdown?

How are you preparing
mikefranks

Lockdown?

Post by mikefranks »

Hi all. Hope you are all well.

I have been following the news very closely over the past few weeks, even more the past few days. Do you think we will start seeing lockdowns in the UK as we are seeing in Italy? The whole coronavirus hitting Europe sent shockwaves through Europe and some media outlets have shown images of supermarkets cleared out.

I’m undecided weather this will happen here, do you think it will?

Mike
diamond lil

Re: Lockdown?

Post by diamond lil »

Personally just what I think is that this govt will witter and dither and put it off until the very last minute. It's all about production not people with this lot.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Armed guards on the Tenerife hotel and in northern italy and our government did rush through the legislation to force people to stay in quarantine while the group were stopping on the wirral but yes i reckon dl is right i think they'll fanny about.
I'm almost surprised we haven't seen bleating about human rights being abused by forcibly resistricting people's movements.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I just dont see any strong leadership coming out and getting to grips with this, until its too late, then we will probably see towns shut off and companies closed up. Its a very difficult call to make as panic follows close behind, but I cant see why it wont happen here, after all we are not so different to Italy or elsewhere.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
hobo

Post by hobo »

Locking myself down this weekend instead of taking a busy train to Oxford and back, staying in a youth hostel and visiting my air stewardess sister. Honestly, I tried not to get anxious! :? :? :shock:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:25 pm I just dont see any strong leadership coming out and getting to grips with this, until its too late, then we will probably see towns shut off and companies closed up. Its a very difficult call to make as panic follows close behind, but I cant see why it wont happen here, after all we are not so different to Italy or elsewhere.
Its another example of damned if they do, damned if they don't, in fairness to whoever is running the show, we'll not know if its been well handled or not until after the dust has settled. Some will happily blame a regime because of politics, some like a moan or a worry.... I'm NOT sticking up for the Government here, just pointing out that it will be history that says if its been well handled or not, generally holes can be picked in pretty much everything for lots of reasons but its always the worst when its NOW !
korolev

Post by korolev »

hobo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:46 pm Locking myself down this weekend instead of taking a busy train to Oxford and back, staying in a youth hostel and visiting my air stewardess sister. Honestly, I tried not to get anxious! :? :? :shock:
I'm getting the train to meet my mates in the pub tomorrow, going to a football stadium on Saturday and flying to Spain next week.

Bovvered ? Nah.
mikefranks

Post by mikefranks »

Following the news in Italy, we may follow suit here. We are only a week or so behind them. Watching ever so closely.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:14 pm
Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:25 pm I just dont see any strong leadership coming out and getting to grips with this, until its too late, then we will probably see towns shut off and companies closed up. Its a very difficult call to make as panic follows close behind, but I cant see why it wont happen here, after all we are not so different to Italy or elsewhere.
Its another example of damned if they do, damned if they don't, in fairness to whoever is running the show, we'll not know if its been well handled or not until after the dust has settled. Some will happily blame a regime because of politics, some like a moan or a worry.... I'm NOT sticking up for the Government here, just pointing out that it will be history that says if its been well handled or not, generally holes can be picked in pretty much everything for lots of reasons but its always the worst when its NOW !
It will be what it will be. A lockdown ala China will not happen here. It will all be voluntary. And sorry to say it, the economy DOES matter. Those who can lock down without money - earning worries seem to be the most enthusiastic it seemed in the pub last night ( retirees, financial independent people,etc. ) will soon start bleating when the workers aren’t putting grub on the shelves and water in the pipes.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Ant not a single word have I seen from official sources re foodbanks. If supermarkets have less then they will give less to the foodbanks. People depending on them will be worried right now.