Difficult to make, useful, but currently very cheap

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: Difficult to make, useful, but currently very cheap

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Sewing needles, I've made a couple for Living History and forging, grinding and finishing a knife blade would of be easier and maybe quicker..... But who is willing to buy a needle for 30 quid
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:37 pm Sewing needles, I've made a couple for Living History and forging, grinding and finishing a knife blade would of be easier and maybe quicker..... But who is willing to buy a needle for 30 quid
Needles would be the same as fishing hooks. Historically they were both made in Redditch, for what that is worth the ... So easy to store. Buy enough.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Jillybean wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:44 am
redskies wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:18 am
If you can use them, mooncups are better. They last longer, are easier to clean, and are all round far less hassle. Plus, a stock of those takes up way less space than a stock of tampons & pads.
I've heard good things about them. Might be worth adding to the preps, but not sure my girls would manage with them.
Another vote for Mooncups. It takes a couple of cycles to get it right but wouldn't use anything else now :)
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Cracking thread! This is one of the threads where I wish there was a like button. Lots added to my list.

I would add dental floss (lots of other uses) and kinesio tape. The KT tape from Home Bargains lasts around 5 days on me with running and a bath each night.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Lemne wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:27 pm Cracking thread! This is one of the threads where I wish there was a like button. Lots added to my list.

I would add dental floss (lots of other uses) and kinesio tape. The KT tape from Home Bargains lasts around 5 days on me with running and a bath each night.
What is kt tape please?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

jansman wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:26 pm
Lemne wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:27 pm Cracking thread! This is one of the threads where I wish there was a like button. Lots added to my list.

What is kt tape please?
Its a sticky tape / bandage (slightly elasticated) you apply to support muscles and ligaments, stays on for a few days at a time. It works but isn't great if you have hairy legs like me, I have to shave first. :oops:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:37 pm

What is kt tape please?
Its a sticky tape / bandage (slightly elasticated) you apply to support muscles and ligaments, stays on for a few days at a time. It works but isn't great if you have hairy legs like me, I have to shave first. :oops:
Thank you. One lives and learns.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:16 am
Arwen Thebard wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:37 pm

What is kt tape please?
Thank you. One lives and learns.

Worked surprisingly well on my burtitis swollen knee even shaved once I started sweating it didn't stay stuck for long though (superdrugs own branded stuff)

Plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to tape up various injuries a decent pair of scissors are a must
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:37 pm Sewing needles, I've made a couple for Living History and forging, grinding and finishing a knife blade would of be easier and maybe quicker..... But who is willing to buy a needle for 30 quid
I've done that myself just to see the work involved and made some brass ones. The smaller ones are more difficult than larger ones if only because they are more fiddly and fragile. Also tried bone needles which again can be fragile. One member tried sowing with hog bristle which worked but is not as convenient as a steel one.
In this thread soap was also mentioned and although we haven't yet tried making our own we've spoken about it but we have tried alternatives such as soapwort . That works but just be sure to plant it in a tub and not in the ground like i did as it spreads.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I am currently storing boxes of electronic parts, they are very cheap and come in large quantities. Should China stop shipping, things like resistors, capasitors, diodes or leds etc will become extremely expensive.

If you do not know how to use them, having a electronic spares box with a soldering iron solder etc will at least enable you to equip someone more knowledgable if needed.

I know we are dealing with the pandemic still but if an emp strike was launched all of our electronic equipment would become dead in seconds, having a box of parts gives you are chance to repair things.

On ebay you can buy soldering practise kits, for a couple of pound. Examples such as little led flashing christmas trees, or build your own torch kits etc. If you dont have electrical skills now is the time to learn.