Difficult to make, useful, but currently very cheap

How are you preparing
Catweazle

Difficult to make, useful, but currently very cheap

Post by Catweazle »

How about a thread for those more unusual stash items that will be very useful, but difficult to manufacture, if cheap Chinese imports dry up ?

I'll start with "Reading Glasses". Hopefully we'll all get old enough to need them.
Deeps

Re: Difficult to make, useful, but currently very cheap

Post by Deeps »

Catweazle wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 am How about a thread for those more unusual stash items that will be very useful, but difficult to manufacture, if cheap Chinese imports dry up ?

I'll start with "Reading Glasses". Hopefully we'll all get old enough to need them.
I stockpile the cheap reading glasses, I have some I'll 'grow into' rather than just what I'm using now.

I'll add making tape to the list.
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

Sanitary products. I know you can make them but I really don't want to have to clean washable ones for 3 femails!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Plasters. For little cuts, especially on my hands - I had a tiny paper cut yesterday and there was blood *everywhere*!
redskies

Post by redskies »

Jillybean wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:44 am Sanitary products. I know you can make them but I really don't want to have to clean washable ones for 3 femails!
If you can use them, mooncups are better. They last longer, are easier to clean, and are all round far less hassle. Plus, a stock of those takes up way less space than a stock of tampons & pads.
redskies

Post by redskies »

I would add skin care tools, the stainless ones which can be sterilised, as they can be repurposed for other things, sewing kit, suture kits, toothpicks, dental floss, lighters, flints, butane to refill the lighters, and decent, needle nosed, stainless tweezers - never underestimate how useful those are!
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

redskies wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:18 am
If you can use them, mooncups are better. They last longer, are easier to clean, and are all round far less hassle. Plus, a stock of those takes up way less space than a stock of tampons & pads.
I've heard good things about them. Might be worth adding to the preps, but not sure my girls would manage with them.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Jillybean wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:44 am
redskies wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:18 am
I've heard good things about them. Might be worth adding to the preps, but not sure my girls would manage with them.
Two of my four are on the resuseable pads - one of them still lives at home and she deals, aged 15, with the washing etc herself. I'm past needing such things, but found mooncups really good when I did need em, and one of my girls uses one of them too and gets on great with it. I guess it's on of those things that you're only going to find out if you try it, although I accept that at £20 a go, it's a bit steep for a maybe. On the flip side, once they get a bit older, have relationships etc, it gets a little easier for them to deal with such things, so it might be worth tucking some away for a later date.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Disposable rubber gloves. A couple of quid for a box of 100, they could be a lifesaver in the unlikely event of a new illness appearing.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Catweazle wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:00 pm Disposable rubber gloves. A couple of quid for a box of 100, they could be a lifesaver in the unlikely event of a new illness appearing.
Also re-usable rubber gloves. They can be sterilised and re-used till you wear through them. I bought some from Tescos recently £1.25 a pair they were half price. :P They were triple protection rubber gloves that are even thicker than the garden ones they do.

ermm I'll add the mask filters for N95 masks, technically if you had the right materials you could make them...if you know what I mean.

Also - sounds stupid but I was wondering this afternoon, can you "make" charcoal...for filtering water?
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted: