What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
OperationPrep

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by OperationPrep »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:02 am Pseudonym, well done you, sorry about your dad though, thats not good.

Weirdly, I have a set of crutches as part of my preps: I saw them in a skip, in amongst building rubble and earth, and dragged them out, I'm not going to let that happen.
I've kept my crutches (and moon boot) from the time I needed them - (un)fortunately they've not been used since in the household.
OperationPrep

Post by OperationPrep »

Cocotte wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:55 am For Xmas I got the lock pick set I've been eyeing for a while. It's far more fun than you'd expect.
Now I just need to get some harder locks than the 3 transparent practice ones that come with the picks. Comes with decent e-books too.
Welcome!

Do you know which set you got/where it is available?
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

jansman wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:21 pm I too, like to have plenty of kindling chopped. During furlough, I filled the normal storage area,3 dustbins full,and many fertiliser sacks too. It’s not my favourite job if I am honest.
Hmm. Kindling is my weak spot. I only have about .5m3 of sticks. Need to fix that tomorrow.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bosworth wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:44 am
jansman wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:21 pm I too, like to have plenty of kindling chopped. During furlough, I filled the normal storage area,3 dustbins full,and many fertiliser sacks too. It’s not my favourite job if I am honest.
Hmm. Kindling is my weak spot. I only have about .5m3 of sticks. Need to fix that tomorrow.
I was going to fish today/ tomorrow, but the weather ain’t good. I fish for spiritual nourishment, not punishment! :lol: so... I may use some time to split some more kindling. I’ll put the radio on, and the kettle too. It is an important job, as solid fuel is our primary heat source.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Thankfully teenage son has reached the point where he can be trusted with a hatchet so he splits the kindling and one of his little sisters stacks it to earn their pocket money.
He also stacks all the logs for the fire after I've cut them with the chainsaw.
Haven't quite managed to persuade him to go & bring in the wood late at night in the pouring rain yet ;)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Nurseandy wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:26 am Thankfully teenage son has reached the point where he can be trusted with a hatchet so he splits the kindling and one of his little sisters stacks it to earn their pocket money.
He also stacks all the logs for the fire after I've cut them with the chainsaw.
Haven't quite managed to persuade him to go & bring in the wood late at night in the pouring rain yet ;)
They will in time. Our youngest has returned home recently, and has been used to an underfloor -heated- internet-controlled sprawl of a place. Now, unless she sorts the stoves herself when here alone, she is cold! To be fair, she can get a fire up the chimney as quick as me.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Now need to restock the burns kit 9YO decided to try and make us breakfast in bed and emptied the kettle over her belly and wrist :shock:

Cold water cold water and more cold water 20 mins by the stop watch in the shower burns dressings after for another half hour fortunately just superficial with no blistering

Just dresses with a burns dressing and a smear of burns gell ( none fluffy breathable burn covering )

No major damage fortunately
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Not nice. Lots of tears I'm guessing.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Also very good you were able to deal with it there and then.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:00 am Now need to restock the burns kit 9YO decided to try and make us breakfast in bed and emptied the kettle over her belly and wrist :shock:

Cold water cold water and more cold water 20 mins by the stop watch in the shower burns dressings after for another half hour fortunately just superficial with no blistering

Just dresses with a burns dressing and a smear of burns gell ( none fluffy breathable burn covering )

No major damage fortunately
Oh bless. Hope she's ok.