What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman »

peejay wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:46 pm Gathered another (very) full boatload of Woodfuel today - I'm basically grabbing every opportunity at the moment in case we get a bigger local lockdown which will stop it dead. Looks like a good weather day tomorrow to get it processed as well.
I am like you. I take every opportunity to snag wood for free. I keep the seats down permanently in my car, as I drive through about 15 miles of countryside, and I pick something up most days. I could do with a pick- up again!

We are just about to do our online shop Now, and we will be adding extra bits and pieces. Not so much because of Covid, but because it looks like we may have supply problems early next year.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

My wife hates it when I collect wood. Being based in a town it’s stuff from builders rather than deadfall but it’s free and it all burns. I’ve never bought logs in my life - most of my neighbours with fires do.

I’ve even trained the kids to look out for ‘good wood’ in skips they see on the school run and report back 😂
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bosworth wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:16 am My wife hates it when I collect wood. Being based in a town it’s stuff from builders rather than deadfall but it’s free and it all burns. I’ve never bought logs in my life - most of my neighbours with fires do.

I’ve even trained the kids to look out for ‘good wood’ in skips they see on the school run and report back 😂
Absolutely! I have a very good friend who cringes at what I bung in the stove. He told me once, “I like nice- looking logs”... I like free! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

"Nice looking logs" ....... :lol: that's a bit like gift wrapping your rubbish before putting it in the bin :twisted:
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Wood hunting like above is get mine free and I've never payed for logs ect .
Skips old kitchens building sites industrial estate's all good I know what you mean when you talk of wife not liking it taking wood out of a skip in the town centre she sat in car worrying if any bodyssey she knows might see her .

My way round this is to put cash away as if your buying it then at end of winter spend on something good for all the family to use.
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:40 am "Nice looking logs" ....... :lol: that's a bit like gift wrapping your rubbish before putting it in the bin :twisted:
I swear it's the truth.My friend is a BBC radio broadcaster.A lovely chap,and one of my oldest friends.I think it's the journalist in him,because he has a romantic view of everything!

Robert Frost.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

My source is the community Woodfuel project - working in local small woodlands thinning them out & "sharing the spoils" so it's a few hours graft but I'm happy to be outside, even if the previous session did rain all day. I was doing it last season but covid stopped it in its tracks so I only got a few sessions in but this time I'm booked on most of them so far & will stop when I don't know where to store it :)
Attachments
IMG_3848.jpeg
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I often find myself torn with timber like that. At the moment i have some large pieces of oak , sycamore , ash , cherry , pear and laurel along with some smaller pieces of hornbeam , alder and box just sat there not chopped up. For those who do any green woodwork that's some nice raw material and there are some who will pay decently for it. On one hand it seems a waste to burn it , a bit like buying a new shirt just to use as rags to clean engine parts . Fortunately i do have access to scrap timber so it's not as if i have to burn the nice stuff. On the subject of scrap timber i won't burn treated , painted and some manufactured boards .
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Yesterday was taken making a batch of chilli sauce and apple sauce/pie filling to be stored away for the winter. Today I'm doing another batch of dehydrated peppers and putting onions into tights for stringing up.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

peejay wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:51 pm My source is the community Woodfuel project - working in local small woodlands thinning them out & "sharing the spoils" so it's a few hours graft but I'm happy to be outside, even if the previous session did rain all day. I was doing it last season but covid stopped it in its tracks so I only got a few sessions in but this time I'm booked on most of them so far & will stop when I don't know where to store it :)
looks like the back of my van most days,perks of being ground maintance for the local council :D :D :D
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...