What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Arzosah »

It's not good, is it, Lil :( Get into sprouting.

I've been dragging back a set of scrap wood from a building scrap pile. I've asked permission of everybody I've seen (including a passerby who had nowt to do with it, it turned out!). The guys there today were incredibly sweet, when I told them I wanted scrap that was suitable to make a raised bed, they were going to let me have a mooch, but they were worried about me stepping on nails, so they ended up mooching about for me, and when they found a lurvely couple of pieces, took 5 minutes to bang all the nails safely down. Very sweet.

I'm also tidying like crazy. And I've arranged for an online delivery today from Viking Direct - 1st class stamps are going up 12% on 1st January, and I'm not prepared to go into a post office to buy them. I bought a couple of dozen, which will probably last 18 months or so, fine. To get free delivery, I had a play with some prepping type things: cheap protective glasses (virus enters through the eyes, sadly :( ) plus a great quality suede pouch to go onto a belt, could easily hold prepping type stuff. I've been reading Selco on Organic Prepper, about layers of EDC - even if my bag was taken from me (eg even a street robbery from a bike) the pouch would stay with me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Like the idea of a belt pouch.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Im currently dehydrating broccoli and cauliflower and really wish I had either a bigger machine or two of them. I also have several bags of sprouts to prep and freeze. I'm really enjoying myself and said to youngest daughter that I could happily retire and spend days growing things, baking, cooking and making jams etc. Sadly not enough in the pot to retire or even go part time yet.
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Medusa wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:42 pm Im currently dehydrating broccoli and cauliflower and really wish I had either a bigger machine or two of them. I also have several bags of sprouts to prep and freeze. I'm really enjoying myself and said to youngest daughter that I could happily retire and spend days growing things, baking, cooking and making jams etc. Sadly not enough in the pot to retire or even go part time yet.
Furlough made me think that part time retirement would be great. Like yourself, there is not enough in the pot. Unfortunately, the company I worked for for many years, went into liquidation and the pension fund did too. Took me a year or five to lose the anger, but hey ho! Life goes on. If I learned a lesson, it was to never trust anyone in the financial industry. My late dad always said they and the legal professionals are the sharks that swim on the surface of society.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

I am making a list of what seeds to order. Can't order till Saturday as the RealSeeds website has put a hold on orders till after Xmas as they catch up with back log. I can still plan my veg layout - gotta rotate the crops, and I can plan what I need to buy/scrounge from seeds to materials. I have also been watching a lot of the American programme "Homestead Rescue." While some of it is a little "made for TV" as it were and the homestead rescuers themselves are somewhat gun-ho in their approaches to all the fixes, you can take some good ideas from it and learn a thing or two for a prepping point of view. The reason I count this as part of this week's preps is that it is part of me researching for ideas and different ways of irrigation for my allotment. Our winters are getting wetter and our summers dryer, so I am planning for next growing season now.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
OperationPrep

Post by OperationPrep »

Aside from keeping food preps topped up...

I have ordered two books:

The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster, Carr, Bernie

Street Survival Skills: Tips, Tricks and Tactics for Modern Survival, Aguirre, Fernando "Ferfal"

I haven't read Ferfal's first book, however it was much more expensive so will just keep an eye on it. Both should arrive at the start of January.
jansman

Post by jansman »

OperationPrep wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:46 pm Aside from keeping food preps topped up...

I have ordered two books:

The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster, Carr, Bernie

Street Survival Skills: Tips, Tricks and Tactics for Modern Survival, Aguirre, Fernando "Ferfal"

I haven't read Ferfal's first book, however it was much more expensive so will just keep an eye on it. Both should arrive at the start of January.
The first book is worth the money.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Today.... Dad fell down the stairs this morning, a trip to walk in hospital later and I told them to keep the crutches as I had my own set at home :mrgreen:

Then 500 meteres from the hospital clutch went in car. RAC cover to the rescue.

Emergency cash for the repairs tomorrow.

So apart from time, nothing out of pocket at all :shock:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:15 pm Today.... Dad fell down the stairs this morning, a trip to walk in hospital later and I told them to keep the crutches as I had my own set at home :mrgreen:

Hope your dad has a speedy recovery... He's dodged the Christmas Washing up tho ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:15 pm Today.... Dad fell down the stairs this morning, a trip to walk in hospital later and I told them to keep the crutches as I had my own set at home :mrgreen:

Hope your dad gets well soon and it doesn't spoil Christmas.

This is well within the scope of what we prep for, so well done having Crutches, RAC cover and emergency funds. It could have been so different if you had been a non-prepper. (OK. the crutches probably not a prep, but you know what i mean)

JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong