What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman »

Le Mouse wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:40 pm I paid off my car loan today so that's a weight gone. My money is my own again. As is my car now :mrgreen:
Well done.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Moorland Prepper

Post by Moorland Prepper »

This week I stocked up on soups - 10 cans from Morrisons, all at 35p.

Dated the tins with a marker pen and rearranged my soups stock in date order. Still using a few dated 2019 and they are fine. Not very exciting but there is snow in the rain and its getting very misty outside.

When i first started prepping I had a lot of stock all dated similar dates but now the dates are nicely spaced out and I'm just topping up my preps as I use a few.

I'm getting low on wholemeal flour but I have to get the timing right as it doesn't keep as long as white flour. Lidl sells good white bread flour at 57p for 1.5 kilos. It cost at least three times this elsewhere.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:05 pm This week I stocked up on soups - 10 cans from Morrisons, all at 35p.

Dated the tins with a marker pen and rearranged my soups stock in date order. Still using a few dated 2019 and they are fine. Not very exciting but there is snow in the rain and its getting very misty outside.

When i first started prepping I had a lot of stock all dated similar dates but now the dates are nicely spaced out and I'm just topping up my preps as I use a few.

I'm getting low on wholemeal flour but I have to get the timing right as it doesn't keep as long as white flour. Lidl sells good white bread flour at 57p for 1.5 kilos. It cost at least three times this elsewhere.
We could do with a taste test subforum to compare some of these own brand products. I commend your stock rotation practices and like you I'm still loaded up with expired soups and beans especially. I can tell you that 2017 soups, baked beans and uncle ben sauces are still good from 2017. The beans give a little gasp as the can is opened, but a quick stir and you'd never know. Some sauces just need a bit of a shake. I did have a bunch of tubes of tomato puree go very bad just after BBE.

ASDA have 1kg bags of no-name plain and self raising flour at 20p each.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:06 am
Moorland Prepper wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:05 pm This week I stocked up on soups - 10 cans from Morrisons, all at 35p.

We could do with a taste test subforum to compare some of these own brand products. I commend your stock rotation practices and like you I'm still loaded up with expired soups and beans especially. I can tell you that 2017 soups, baked beans and uncle ben sauces are still good from 2017. The beans give a little gasp as the can is opened, but a quick stir and you'd never know. Some sauces just need a bit of a shake. I did have a bunch of tubes of tomato puree go very bad just after BBE.

ASDA have 1kg bags of no-name plain and self raising flour at 20p each.
A taste test subforum.Trouble is with that,as my brother often says, " one man's wombat p#ss is another man's real ale! " :lol: :lol:

Joking aside, during the March silliness,we purchased genuine branded Heinz baked beans.We normally use the Tesco own brand ( not the ultra cheap ones).Frankly,we couldn't tell the difference.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just about finished the bathroom off at last. . . Carpet fitter coming Thursday to put new floor covering down just a new blind to get and a bit of skirting to paint :D

Would have got a bit more done today but I ripped my finger open lifting the MDF cabinet down this morning. Local urgent care centre in and out in 10 minutes
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Tomorrow, I shall be bottling my Christmas Ale. I also have my sugar wash ‘wine’ which needs some further ‘processing’ shall we say. Needless to say, once that is done we shall not need to buy vodka. :D

I shall finish splitting enough firewood to last to the end of December. Christmas week I have estimated I shall do 70 hours, and the last thing I am doing whilst off is physical work. Happily, I have been informed I have 5 whole days off , all joined up together!

Shall call in at the gun shop for a box or two of cartridges as I shall be rough shooting over Christmas, all things being equal.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Over the last week, I've processed 1.8kg of quince, which became 950g of stewed and sieved gunk, and was mixed with lemon juice and 800g of sugar. Only two jars sterilised though, which was definitely part of my slapdashery, It hasn't set, I sloshed too much water over the quince at the very beginning of this process, so it would never have set. I've ended up with the two jars sitting in the freezer, and almost the same again in a plastic screw top tub, which I'm spooning over practically anything I eat. I'll put it on my porridge tomorrow morning :)

Next year: do it earlier, so I can use more quinces, and watch the amount of water. Also experiment with membrillo paste. An ongoing experiment.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:47 pm Tomorrow, I shall be bottling my Christmas Ale. I also have my sugar wash ‘wine’ which needs some further ‘processing’ shall we say. Needless to say, once that is done we shall not need to buy vodka. :D

I shall finish splitting enough firewood to last to the end of December. Christmas week I have estimated I shall do 70 hours, and the last thing I am doing whilst off is physical work. Happily, I have been informed I have 5 whole days off , all joined up together!

Shall call in at the gun shop for a box or two of cartridges as I shall be rough shooting over Christmas, all things being equal.
Draw Over Photo1607377190694.png

Got a new pair of modern army surplus softie trousers for work brand new unissued .. lovely and warm for their weight ) thickness £20 can't complain.... Like a sleeping bag you can walk in :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well I'm having to rethink. Because I depend on Sainsbugs to deliver every week, and tonight I see they have nothing after Dec 19th right through into Jan.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Processing fire wood in cold wet weather
Yuck.
Fill er up jacko...