What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
ukpreppergrrl

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:36 pm If finances will stretch or Facebook local selling comes up trumps look into the refillable bottles

Eg (other models exist)

http://www.safefill.co.uk/

Then you can refill at local petrol stations with LPG pumps.. much cheaper than calor
Oooh had no idea these existed!!! Defo looking into this!

In the meantime I got a bit tipsy the other night and went internet shopping :o and today I've been playing with my new 12 volt TV! :D Works blinding powered by my off-grid solar panels/battery array. Plays mp4s off a usb stick. Important prep I feel, just in case the grid goes down....she says trying to justify her drunken shopping binge....
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:27 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:36 pm
preppergb wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:39 am Going out to get at least two more bottles of blue calour gas to go with the three I already have , bit worried about the cuts in production of petrochems globally. MAY see shortages but I cannot afford that risk. Definately under estimated my firewood needs as well but limited storage space does not help.

If finances will stretch or Facebook local selling comes up trumps look into the refillable bottles

Eg (other models exist)

Then you can refill at local petrol stations with LPG pumps.. much cheaper than calor
Thats great!
My main bone of contention with calor et al is the way they stiff you on the bottles, especially the smaller ones you use in campers etc
I'm lucky when it comes to empty gas bottles, our local council recycling centers GIVES them away to anyone who asks, its how I got the first three. So i never got stiffed with the bottle hire fees :) And as we also have quite a few travellers in the area they often abandon empty bottles in the spots they camp out in.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

preppergb wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:08 am
ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:27 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:36 pm

If finances will stretch or Facebook local selling comes up trumps look into the refillable bottles

Eg (other models exist)

Thats great!
My main bone of contention with calor et al is the way they stiff you on the bottles, especially the smaller ones you use in campers etc
I'm lucky when it comes to empty gas bottles, our local council recycling centers GIVES them away to anyone who asks, its how I got the first three. So i never got stiffed with the bottle hire fees :) And as we also have quite a few travellers in the area they often abandon empty bottles in the spots they camp out in.

Added bonus of you do your bit for the planet calor buy the empties back and you get £7.50. They regularly get dumped on the road to work.... :mrgreen:
Screenshot_20200414-100317.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We couldn't get a Calor dealer who would deliver up here so had to switch to Flogas. Just this minute arrived with a 47kg Propane cylinder, cost us £74.
jansman

Post by jansman »

So,week 4 of furlough. Already this morning I have fetched a car full of logs from the other end of the village;That was my workout for the day!.I'll saw those to size later,when I have put the new chains on the saws.Yesterday we got a chance delivery from Tesco.We have a lot of fresh veg now which needs sorting,so it's freezing and dehydrating time.

I have got tomato seedlings to prick out.My last lot damped off,so I slung these in and they are going like billy o'! My outdoor ' Marmande ' are as reliable as ever,and the indoor are some saved seed sent to me by one of our forum members a couple of years back.They are from Romania and simply labelled,'Tomato'.They are very vigorous.

Yesterday we braved the town,as we had to transfer money from building society emergency fund into the bank,as I have no money coming in this month as far as I am aware.The chancellor said at his briefing yesterday,that furlough payments should be up and running by the end of the month.Why does the cynic in me say, "yeah right!" ? So, ever the man to wear belt and braces,I have made sure there are sufficient funds to deal with ( what I believe) will be a monumental #### up by HMRC.I think that by May we will be hearing tales of awful hardship out there.Apparently,we will be informed later this week about how the lockdown will pan out.I am expecting at least another month,if not two,so planning accordingly.

There is now talk of food shortages over the Winter.That should not surprise anyone really,when you consider the flooding,labour shortages etc. So that scenario is what we shall be prepping for during the Summer ahead.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Decided I need a second air rifle , but what to get and how to get it. My Walther Reign though a bullpup is only 26 inches long its still bulky and hard to conceal but it is only 5 pounds in weight. Thinking about the ultra compacts like the Artemis PP750 but only 6 ft pound so I would have to get closer to quarry, or the Edgun Leshy a superb high quality Russian made folding single shot PCP but £1200 and only two suppliers in the UK, or the Ultra compact Ataman BP17 which is a full UK legal 12 ft pound PCP bullpup that is only 24 inches long. Arthritic hands prevent me getting a springer, so PCPs are the only viable option, will also look at investing in a compressor.

Got loads of decent archery gear but my wrists hurt to much these days.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

preppergb wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:37 am Decided I need a second air rifle , but what to get and how to get it. My Walther Reign though a bullpup is only 26 inches long its still bulky and hard to conceal but it is only 5 pounds in weight. Thinking about the ultra compacts like the Artemis PP750 but only 6 ft pound so I would have to get closer to quarry, or the Edgun Leshy a superb high quality Russian made folding single shot PCP but £1200 and only two suppliers in the UK, or the Ultra compact Ataman BP17 which is a full UK legal 12 ft pound PCP bullpup that is only 24 inches long. Arthritic hands prevent me getting a springer, so PCPs are the only viable option, will also look at investing in a compressor.

I only have one recommendation

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/archery/cross ... 0lbs/32031

Go on you know you want a semi auto!!!
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

cbp125 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:11 pm

Very nice, found a review on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Fn6qXvFkU

Also a similar pistol crossbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAnJZiGy8wU

Both look lots of fun.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Potatoes in, courgettes in, onions in and tomatoes in. I'm staggering it so I have something to do every day. Gawd! :lol:
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

cbp125 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:11 pm
preppergb wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:37 am Decided I need a second air rifle , but what to get and how to get it. My Walther Reign though a bullpup is only 26 inches long its still bulky and hard to conceal but it is only 5 pounds in weight. Thinking about the ultra compacts like the Artemis PP750 but only 6 ft pound so I would have to get closer to quarry, or the Edgun Leshy a superb high quality Russian made folding single shot PCP but £1200 and only two suppliers in the UK, or the Ultra compact Ataman BP17 which is a full UK legal 12 ft pound PCP bullpup that is only 24 inches long. Arthritic hands prevent me getting a springer, so PCPs are the only viable option, will also look at investing in a compressor.

Aye I do like them but I'm sticking with my compound bows for that duty :)