What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by diamond lil »

Well I'm still testing out the chair and the booze. It doesn't pay to rush these things. Although now I've found something in a fancy bottle called Chambord. Or something. It's ok but not as nice as the Cointreau. See - an important prep sorted out there!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:07 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:52 pm I made an apprentice mistake today. Cut a shin of beef from a hindquarter, and instead of standing to one side, pulled the knife through and stuck the bugger into my stomach! What a prat!

Fortunately, it was a superficial cut( by butchery standard) and only took three stitches! :lol:
Last time I stabbed myself I had the police appear at the minor injuries unit... They didn't seem convinced it was self inflicted......
The fuzz were there, but the trauma bandage under the striped apron gave it away! Bit sore, but I’ve had worse.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

We caught a fairly strong whiff of gas by our drive on the road on Christmas Day which seemed to dissipate fairly quickly so no idea where it came from (we're near the top of a hill, unclear whether it would travel up or downhill upon googling).

Came back from dog walk today to find a Cadent engineer sniffing around (literally) as apparently a passer-by had reported a smell though none of us could smell it.

Glad I have enough means of cooking should a short-term need arise, plus the log-burner that we never had in the old house...

[Some years ago in the old place we reported a strong smell of gas - engineers confirmed & were about to shut our gas off when they investigated further & discovered that it was actually coming from two-doors down - they promptly shut their supply off instead!]
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:29 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:07 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:52 pm I made an apprentice mistake today. Cut a shin of beef from a hindquarter, and instead of standing to one side, pulled the knife through and stuck the bugger into my stomach! What a prat!

Fortunately, it was a superficial cut( by butchery standard) and only took three stitches! :lol:
Last time I stabbed myself I had the police appear at the minor injuries unit... They didn't seem convinced it was self inflicted......
The fuzz were there, but the trauma bandage under the striped apron gave it away! Bit sore, but I’ve had worse.
Least you get to rotate your trauma kit ;) bet when you return you'll have a rounded tipped knife on your block and a few smirks
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good grief, jansman! 3 stitches after you stabbed yourself in the stomach? No no no! Lil's recliner + booze is the way to go :mrgreen: I was back at my sister's today, as her son came down from London, and I was thoughtful enough to carry on drinking the bottle of red wine she opened on Christmas Day :mrgreen: can't waste this stuff :mrgreen: If the apocalypse turned up on my doorstep right now, I'd have to close the door and go to bed, in all honesty, I'm shattered :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That sounds like the proper way to deal with an apocalypse. Serve it right! Just ignore the bugger and go to bed. :mrgreen:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:51 pm That sounds like the proper way to deal with an apocalypse. Serve it right! Just ignore the bugger and go to bed. :mrgreen:

Oh it really does...... Slowly coming round from a bout of man flu topped up the cold and flu tablets 8 boxes added condensed the boxes and put away... Had to visit 4 shops but not hard when there's home bargains, pound stretcher savers and boots within a 5 mim walk of each other.... Glad I had them in as no way of getting them Christmas day...... Now stepson is coming down with it and he doesn't normally get I'll.....
Screenshot_20191228-214034.png

jansman

Post by jansman »

Round tipped knife!! ??? Wouldn’t hear of such a thing! My knives are proper pointy :lol: just one of those things, I am afraid. When I did it, I just said , “ oh dear, silly me.” And broke out the ambulance dressing I carry in my cargo pocket. It sounds worse than it is. The last time I was hospitalised was , ooh, 22 years ago , when I severed my tendons with a steak knife. Not too bad , for the thousands of cuts I make in a week.

My son in law is a mechanical fitter at our local quarry, and his life insurance is £200! A month!!! As his job is deemed so dangerous.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:23 pm Round tipped knife!! ??? Wouldn’t hear of such a thing! My knives are proper pointy :lol: just one of those things, I am afraid. When I did it, I just said , “ oh dear, silly me.” And broke out the ambulance dressing I carry in my cargo pocket. It sounds worse than it is. The last time I was hospitalised was , ooh, 22 years ago , when I severed my tendons with a steak knife. Not too bad , for the thousands of cuts I make in a week.

My son in law is a mechanical fitter at our local quarry, and his life insurance is £200! A month!!! As his job is deemed so dangerous.

Remember you saying about the lasses in the sausage plant stabbing herself and you taking the tips off the knives ;) ..

There's nothing worse than the feeling knowing it's gone in / across ..... Did you get the greenhouse down? :lol: and does it hurt when you laugh?

The copper when I did my leg getting little man's pram out the box only backed off when I showed him pictures of the pram held together with tiewraps...

The humble pop bottle lid became a very good local pressure applicator similar to the oales modular pressure dressing even the doctor expressed his amazement in what I'd done but our trainer is ex forces and done years of mercenary work as a medic he showed us how to deal with stuff ever if we didn't have a first aid kit with us stab wound layer/ pad of clean material pop cap lid then bind with material or a belt to apply direct pressure

jansman

Post by jansman »

I like the pop bottle idea! Regarding pointy knives,I cannot work without one.Yes,I rounded the knives the girls use ( they only cut sausages with them),but you can't break beef carcasses down without a good point!

Fortunately,I didnt so much stab,as slice myself - damned good job too! When I did it ,I knew I had made a mistake.I just said boll###s! and cracked open a dressing. As I said,its just a bit sore.It is an occupational hazard ( thankfully rare), that happened as a result of human error.Being tired was the reason,as we had a lot of work to complete yesterday,and I was literally on the last leg,and pacing it to get home. :lol:

I knew of a butcher some years ago who shut his shop for the half- day ( remember that?) and was doing the exact job I was ,behind closed doors.Sadly,he cut through an artery and bled to death quite quickly.It was his washing- down lad who found him when he came in after school.Sad.

Greenhouse comes down on Tuesday,as I have to take out electric,and all the other swag in there.I only move stuff once,although I have to be careful lifting for a day or two.

Robert Frost.

Me.