What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by diamond lil »

I find the same here Arzosah, Traffic Scotland and the BBC have nothing on anything local, even hours after it has happened. Twitter sometimes and FB sometimes but the national newspapers have nothing about Scotland either. We can be buried up to our necks in snow or blown to hell in a force 9 - and the BBC will give half an hour's weather for England, then the very last sentence will be "and snow/windy in Scotland" :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:47 am I find the same here Arzosah, Traffic Scotland and the BBC have nothing on anything local, even hours after it has happened. Twitter sometimes and FB sometimes but the national newspapers have nothing about Scotland either. We can be buried up to our necks in snow or blown to hell in a force 9 - and the BBC will give half an hour's weather for England, then the very last sentence will be "and snow/windy in Scotland" :mrgreen:
Just checked the BBC , and your statement made me smile Lil. Because the Southern end of the isle has had a flood , they are all over it like a rash! :lol: Here in the East Midlands I felt like Kevin Costner in Waterworld getting to work today!😂 The Soar Valley is literally waterlogged.

Regarding what Arzosah said about local information, it’s very true. Having fished the entire river all my life, I am aware of the ‘pinch points’ where the roads flood. This year though, the flooding has been more severe, and for longer than I have ever known. My 4am commute was something else as a result.

One source of information is social media. I don’t use it, but my wife does. She is subscribed to ‘Spotted Trump ton’ and all the other villages I travel through, and she will send me texts to tell me where all the nosey people ( that’s social media!) are posting photos of their cats, dinner and floods! :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Lil, jansman, I'm afraid I live in the part of the country that gets the most attention, apart from London :oops: there were 3 photos of my town in the Daily Wail yesterday, even. And the stretch of the M23 that turned into a river isn't too far from me.

I returned to the same flooded corner locally this afternoon, still flooded, one grid still bubbling strongly, and there were two teenagers (in the dressing gowns. Wot?) I asked them the same question, where do we find out about this stuff. Turns out the town, and the local council (two different entities) have been posting madly on facebook. Words fail me.

The other really noticeable thing was that although the road was still under water for a stretch, the traffic cones were being pushed aside regularly on all three streets leading to the flooded junction, by people who wanted to drive through and not find a way around. Currently, its maybe three inches of water, along a total of maybe 80 yards of road. But what you can't see from the cars is that the brickwork for a culvert that goes under the road has collapsed - no one knows how safe that road is. It looks like elf an safety jobsworth, but its really not. I hope I don't hear any crashing sounds tonight :(
hobo

Post by hobo »

Anyone tried the British Red Cross emergency app for weather warnings?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I use the BBC late at night weekly weather forecast ('tape' it) and use the local (BBC Scotland) half hourly forecasts on BBC Breakfast for the more accurate daily forecasts. I also keep an eye on this, lots of stuff I'm not interested in but its decent too.

https://www.farmersguide.co.uk/about/team-fg/

Go to the weather, I'd have linked it straight to there but it keeps coming up with my postcode and I don't want the zombies to know where I live.
jansman

Post by jansman »

hobo wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:58 pm Anyone tried the British Red Cross emergency app for weather warnings?
I have.Its crap.

Joking aside about the BBC, I find their weather app to be quite good.The only downside is that it takes ages to find my area within their flood warnings; although when it flags up the warnings,then I know for certain where that will be locally.

The flooding is certainly an issue now.This global warming business seems to be showing itself .

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I get on ok with the red cross app pulls weather warnings and flood alerts together in one place.. just need to set the alert radius up to suit or it will bombard the crap out of you with alerts not relevant
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Getting some breakfast, and then I am going to crack on with ‘age- proofing’ my vegetable garden. Got to take out another tree, and then I am ready to dismantle the old greenhouse. Once the panels are out, I will take it apart with an angle grinder. Gotta get a bit jiggy with it, so the new one is up in time for the new growing season. I love a project :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just go steady with the grinder aluminium can be a bit snatchy

I've come down with a proper man cold spent the night kipping on the living room floor to give Mrs A a decent night's sleep slept most of Christmas afternoon and yesterday hopefully the sweating it out a thick winter sleeping bag last night will have done the trick
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm off to raid the two supermarkets that sit practically next door to one another. I won't be doing the cheap veg - doing my hands in to prep them wouldn't be a good idea, but anything thats shelf stable (Christmas puddings? :mrgreen: ) is fair game :mrgreen: