What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:01 pm Well I've cleaned pasta from the bath and washer

Amazing the capacity of a little ones digestive system :s

Tumble drier is a godsend at this time of year with the wet weather..

We run out of sheets (3x ) and also puked on 5 bath sheets Which we used as emergency bedding!!

Treated myself to ANOTHER torch today I had a £10 voucher which expires 31/12 from the spend £100 get a tenner voucher so the torch cost me nothing not the best but it's plenty bright enough

The strap is naff but meh

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7477997
I was a bit up on my online betting account so took 20 quid out, astutely invested it in another torch, well you can't have too many. :tinfoil

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I feel cheated now, it was 16 quid a couple of days ago. :( Still a great wee torch for the pocket.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Spent yesterday stocking the back door woodstore with logs and kindling,sufficient for two weeks,filling the self water/feeders for the animals and suchlike.Mrs J has sorted food shopping for next ten days,as when she finishes work she is helping me.In 15 minutes I leave for the start of what butchers call "Hell-Week". See you on the other side... :(
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:10 pm
I was a bit up on my online betting account so took 20 quid out, astutely invested it in another torch, well you can't have too many. :tinfoil

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I feel cheated now, it was 16 quid a couple of days ago. :( Still a great wee torch for the pocket.

Ohhh I like that I've been after something to replace the mini maglite solitaire LED which the third replacement has also died... The 17 year old bulbed version is still going strong but it hasn't got enough output for some situations...

Was looking for a twist on / off as the button torches often turn on in my pocket..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Here's a slightly off topic torch question for the electrical engineers on the forum - in the (possibly unlikely) event of a major EMP event will LED torches still work? It's my understanding that an emp will knock out electronics circuits and it's also my understanding that LED's have a small electronic circuit board to make them work. Sooooo, will they be effected and possibly useless after an emp?
Just wanna make it clear I dont think an emp is particularly likely but just curious.
Thanks.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:09 am
Ohhh I like that I've been after something to replace the mini maglite solitaire LED which the third replacement has also died... The 17 year old bulbed version is still going strong but it hasn't got enough output for some situations...

Was looking for a twist on / off as the button torches often turn on in my pocket..
That takes my pocket torches to 3 on key chains. :oops:
1 AAA, 1 with the small watch batteries and now the rechargeable. I know a lot of people aren't keen on 'non standard' batteries but I can put spare batteries in a strip of electrical tape and carry a couple spare sets in a wallet. Here's the others....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olight%C2%AE-K ... =aaa+torch

The second one isn't the exact same but close enough.

They're all decent pocket torches, there's loads of options out there. If I wasn't such a weirdo, one would be plenty. :lol:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Nurseandy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:27 am Here's a slightly off topic torch question for the electrical engineers on the forum - in the (possibly unlikely) event of a major EMP event will LED torches still work? It's my understanding that an emp will knock out electronics circuits and it's also my understanding that LED's have a small electronic circuit board to make them work. Sooooo, will they be effected and possibly useless after an emp?
Just wanna make it clear I dont think an emp is particularly likely but just curious.
Thanks.
I'm definitely not an expert but it depends what expert you choose. Some seem to think a fair bit of stuff will be ok, some that we'll be living like the Amish. I don't think anyone really knows to be honest mate. Like yourself, its not something I lose sleep over. ;)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Nurseandy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:27 am Here's a slightly off topic torch question for the electrical engineers on the forum - in the (possibly unlikely) event of a major EMP event will LED torches still work? It's my understanding that an emp will knock out electronics circuits and it's also my understanding that LED's have a small electronic circuit board to make them work. Sooooo, will they be effected and possibly useless after an emp?
Thanks.
I'd be surprised if even a massive EMP would knock out an LED torch. EMP's destructive power depends on induced current in the target system. Vulnerable systems will generally have significant amounts of wiring which would act as a receiving antenna. E.g. miles of telephone cable or electrical grid, car wiring loom, or even the cable from your tv ariel to the tv... and onward down into the mains network. Small circuits like mobile phones might be rodgered because they have tuned circuits, coils and antenna in them. Torches have very little that might be receptive to an EMP. EMPs target infrastructure mostly.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Thank you jennyjj01. Let's hope we never have to find out for real though? :D
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jeez, tonight a big chunk of tooth fell off. I feel like Tom hanks in castaway using an ice skate to deal with his bad tooth.

Tomorrow at 9:01 I seek an urgent dentist appointment At 9:05 I seek a bucket full of oil of cloves and co-codomol. (Cheers Arzosah)

We take routine dental and medical treatment for granted, but the absence of dental treatment in a crisis would be unthinkable. ( and currently un-thought of )

Will probably stock up on other trivia like athletes' foot cream and sudocrem and what the heck... a first aid course for me and 'tother.,
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:58 pm Jeez, tonight a big chunk of tooth fell off. I feel like Tom hanks in castaway using an ice skate to deal with his bad tooth.
Been there... done that.

I hope you can manage the pain until it's fixed.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.