No cost or low cost preps

How are you preparing
shocker

Re: No cost or low cost preps

Post by shocker »

Now you would think that makes sense, feeding leftovers to stock, but...

Since Foot and Mouth leftover human food can no longer be fed to animals in the foodchain. Including peelings etc. If I peel some spuds in the living room I can feed them to my pigs (and keep a record of it) but if I peel them in the kitchen...I cant. And so on.

If I have one of my pigs slaughtered at the abbatoir, have it delivered to me in a refridgerated vehicle (records again) then process it myself, make bacon or whatever, I cannot feed it to another family member. Unless I have an inspected, notified processing area. Recorded again for the movement forms. Which is in fact quite sensible after the havoc F&M caused.

Anyway, all good for a laugh at the end of the day and keeps people in work. Got to look on the bright side :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

If live close to the coast, can trust the water quality, seaweed is awesome.
An hr looking online will tell you all you need to need to know.
I love the stuff, delicious.

Winkling! You need a bucketful (I do anyway) but nutrient packed.

Samphire, a proper treat that is.

Eat for free, save some cash, best prep in the world imho
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

BlinkingCory wrote:If live close to the coast, can trust the water quality, seaweed is awesome.
An hr looking online will tell you all you need to need to know.
I love the stuff, delicious.

Winkling! You need a bucketful (I do anyway) but nutrient packed.

Samphire, a proper treat that is.

Eat for free, save some cash, best prep in the world imho
Seaweed is also an excellent fertilizer for the garden. I have seen it piled about a foot deep on some veg patches here, and left to rot down for a few weeks. Its then dug in and veg planted. Cabbage seem to do really well in it as well as potatoes.

I have 'winckled' for a few extra £s cash in the recent past. Have never been tempted to eat them, but if it came to it I'd know where to find them.

All good advice for those near the coast BC.

I would also suggest slowly putting together a good first aid kit. Buying a little bit at a time keeps the outlay manageable, and it will slowly add to a good fak. A few plasters here, a bandage there, a pack of wipes... You get the picture.
I buy a few bits like this through amazon, and look for low cost and free delivery.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Alan7997

Post by Alan7997 »

Hi there, what UK brands of bleach are useful for sterilising drinking water?
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Alan7997 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:39 pm Hi there, what UK brands of bleach are useful for sterilising drinking water?
Any unscented thin bleach.... If you can find one with the date of manufacture on it then get the freshest you can, as it degrades with time (as well as light and air, so it lasts longer in a closed bottle in the cupboard).

Thick bleaches are just thin bleach with thickeners added (and I don't know if those do you any good), and scents are just extra chemicals you probably shouldn't be drinking either
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

Milton baby steriliser or own brand equivalents (maybe Boots?) are safe for sterilising water
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

jansman wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:18 pm I was listening to Woman's Hour on R 4 today.The subject was poor womens' inability to access sanitary products in the Third World,and in the UK too.A spokeswoman from a Leeds food bank was giving evidence of this in her experience.
Menstrual cups are the way to go. A cup last for 3 years plus. I've had my Mooncup a lot longer.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Making yourself a little bit fitter and stronger than you are now. Start from where you are, build up. Even if it's just half-a-press-up on the knees, every day, until you can do one. Then two. Walk regularly, then run. Look at improving your diet.

We're heading for hard times and the NHS is going to be stretched, more difficult to access, and probably no longer free, in my lifetime. We need to ensure we can stay out of it as much as possible.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

featherstick wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:05 pm Making yourself a little bit fitter and stronger than you are now. Start from where you are, build up. Even if it's just half-a-press-up on the knees, every day, until you can do one. Then two. Walk regularly, then run. Look at improving your diet.

We're heading for hard times and the NHS is going to be stretched, more difficult to access, and probably no longer free, in my lifetime. We need to ensure we can stay out of it as much as possible.
Totally agree, and it's so, so important. Plus, looking after your teeth.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

A starter first aid kit, Poundland do one, basic but better than nothing. Alternatively make your own in a tub/box you own already. Most of the smaller shops selling various cleaning and toiletry items sell bandages, plasters, tape and paracetamol cheaply.
Growing old disgracefully!