What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ChefSimon wrote:It's amazing what you pick up on here... Thanks to Yorkshire Andy, my wife is now off to ToysRus to buy some presents and get a voucher. (down goes my bank balance).

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/mobile/toys/co ... ift-coupon

:)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
JDandCoke

Post by JDandCoke »

My recent prepps? Bought: spade, shovel, axe, crowbar, wood saw, knife sharpener whetstone, meds box, all sorts of batteries, duck tape, wd40, paracord, defroster for car, water purifying tablets. All within week's time as I thought that once I need to do something or have an idea and don't have the tools - I don't do it and forget about it. Now I have all the tools I need around garden, so can do more and when I get the idea ;-). Funny thing is I live close to B&Q but hate driving there due to traffic ;-), prefer to shop over internet where I see people's reviews of stuff
7 lives

Post by 7 lives »

ThanksArzosah-my preps did not include having to bribe the local police in Malaysia to release the death certificate.So pleased to be prepping again- currently researching how long after use by date its safe to use canned food.
JDandCoke

Post by JDandCoke »

7 lives wrote:So pleased to be prepping again- currently researching how long after use by date its safe to use canned food.
The cans I buy have use by date of over 2 years (Polish canned meat), but lots of people say it will last longer, way longer, and you don't eat it if it smells bad. All you have to take care off is to oil lids once every few years and make sure the cans are not damaged atc.
This page http://prepersklep.pl/home/1-wek-prepersa.html is page with prepps article and the can is made for preppers (in fact they were doing it for paramilitary organisations in Poland or something) - it is 100% meat with salt and spices (some people criticised them for using underground salt rather than seasalt). Author of page says that use by date is 2 years but even after 20 years they should be good if stored properly (in temp of up to 18C)
Most of producers use 2 years (I've seen 5 years on some cans from B&M but the meat tasted awful) just for safety reasons but in fact I would eat even after 5 years without hesitation if it smells right.
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

As my OH walked in at lunchtime, dripping wet through to the skin and with the soggiest feet I've seen in a few years I now need to go looking for new wellies for us all...longer ones! The water is coming off the fields round us and turning the roads to rivers. Rivers seem to be at overflow and above and there are warnings out. We need a few days without rain for this to clear up. My brolly broke too so I'm going to sulk! :roll:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

SooBee wrote:As my OH walked in at lunchtime, dripping wet through to the skin and with the soggiest feet I've seen in a few years I now need to go looking for new wellies for us all...longer ones! The water is coming off the fields round us and turning the roads to rivers. Rivers seem to be at overflow and above and there are warnings out. We need a few days without rain for this to clear up. My brolly broke too so I'm going to sulk! :roll:
Sorry to hear that missus, I know things are bad down the SW, my brother stays in Zummerzet and he put off a trip to Brizzle today and worked from home. I hope things improve for you round your neck of the woods. On a practical level, try some of these bad boys........

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Had a fun drive home not seen rain like it for about 5 years main roads partially flooded and idiots riding your bumper till you hit standing water and swamp them with spray

Glad my cars got the 40cm wading capacity ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

I've been playing some catch up following a six week nightmare. We had a family crisis involving emergency life saving operations and several days in ICU, but everything is now evening out. So the preps have taken a bit of a bashing what with no time to to go shopping or anything in between hospital visits, livestock and work. The main prep related item of note to come out of this is that when people are in an emotional and distressed state what is craved is comfort food, and large amounts of it! These are the highlights

1 We had an annual supply of hot chocolate in the house. This was inadequate. This has now been pumped up to a two year supply (and if anything like this happens again I'm fairly sure it won't be enough)
2 We had 10 packets of biscuits. Gone in a couple of weeks. The Christmas biscuits also took a hiding.
3 Sometimes a bar of chocolate doesn't cut it. Sometimes it has to be a selection box of chocolates. The only boxed chocs to survive was the huge and hugely expensive Christmas box for the sister in law
4 Steak dinner is the quickest meal to prepare and serve for hungry men with zero planning, but will cost money
5 The potato peeler broke and the stash item was missing (apparently it was needed for camping this summer)
6 No one ate any yogurt (!?! weird)

So, I have re evaluated our stash levels for a number of items because clearly they were rubbish!

I've always felt very comfortable verging on smugness about our stash and tbh this has made me take a good hard look at not what we think we should have (or indeed are recommended to have), but actually to have what is needed

My shopping list for the last couple of weeks has looked quite odd! :lol:
Knowledge is power
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Deeps wrote:
SooBee wrote:As my OH walked in at lunchtime, dripping wet through to the skin and with the soggiest feet I've seen in a few years I now need to go looking for new wellies for us all...longer ones! The water is coming off the fields round us and turning the roads to rivers. Rivers seem to be at overflow and above and there are warnings out. We need a few days without rain for this to clear up. My brolly broke too so I'm going to sulk! :roll:
Sorry to hear that missus, I know things are bad down the SW, my brother stays in Zummerzet and he put off a trip to Brizzle today and worked from home. I hope things improve for you round your neck of the woods. On a practical level, try some of these bad boys........

Joe would love a pair of those just to show off in!
Do they come in pink? I like pink. :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

SooBee wrote:
Deeps wrote:

Joe would love a pair of those just to show off in!
Do they come in pink? I like pink. :)
Just for you.....

I hope you don't need them though.