What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by Arzosah »

Oh dear! Brave of you to write the update, Nick, kudos!

I'm plugging away ... decluttering old postcards and stamps :oops: clearing a path for a Man That Can to get to my overgrown cherry laurels and collapsing shed ... working out what to buy for a solar setup supported by Hamradioop :) ... weeding ... freezing rhubarb and cherries .... bits and bobs here and there.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Arzosah wrote:Oh dear! Brave of you to write the update, Nick, kudos!
Quite simply I wasn't going to be dishonest even if their goods have a lovely long over a year shelf life on them I certainly wouldn't recommend them.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I've got the day off so I thought I'd get some post SHTF preparation in with a seven hour marathon of playing The Division on my Playstation. Might be able to get my ranking up over 200 perhaps.......or........maybe I'll get off my behind and check out the route home from my new place of work by walking there. Yeah, why not? Exmoor Search and Rescue won't be doing much on a weekday....

I posted this because I was sorely tempted to laze about and it forced me to make the effort.

A very interesting walk and the data from my GPS is useful. At 27 miles via unclassified roads and footpaths with about 3 miles on A roads, it's doable with my current GHB kit. In fact, I reckon I can trim down the GHB kit to save about 3Kg maybe 4kg of weight. I can shave a kilo off by carrying 1 litre less water and using the filter. I did this walk to work which had a total elevation gain of 480m and loss of 702m according to the GPS, so I have to bear in mind that going home that will be reversed and there's 300m of elevation to account for. I also need to review sections to cut out the 3 or so miles of A roads.
Last edited by Briggs 2.0 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

I have been mostly working on our food stocks this last week or two.
Tesco had a great offer on for black eye beans, chickpeas and tinned toms at 5 for a quid.
I swept the shelves. Went back 2 days later and the offer changed to 4 for a quid. Still good so bought another couple of dozen tins.
All stuff we use so a good result.

Also been building up our wood pile for the winter. I can get it all free, just need to haul it and cut it.

Actually have the fire lit this evening, its a little chilly.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

got a few buckled tins so chucking them out and am planning another few just in case tesco value hauls.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Reviewed the fuel storage

Tried and tested the new water pump by filling the IBCs from the stream

Prepared/disinfected the turkey poult area

Scavenged enough straw to see us thro several months

Checked all the jars, waxed paper reserves etc and tried to plan in the massive jamming fest which will be upon us here at stashings immediately after the next good downpour of rain

Went a bit ott in a polish supermarket which has some foodstuffs I have never seen before to try and then see if they are 'stash worthy'

Alpha male has had to commandeer a new area for more winter logs........
Knowledge is power
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Finishing up my collection of 2-litre water bottles for my one month's supply. Bought a batch of carbonated water by mistake but the scientific papers I could find seem to suggest that stored carbonated water shows less bacterial growth than stored non-carbonated water, so I'll keep them.

Purchase life straws, mini-sawyers, a few purification tablets.

Finish researching rainwater collection systems for 1-month+ supply.

====================

Try to work out whether it's best to buy iodine crystals or concentrated iodine. Will probably go for the first option as I have chemistry knowledge (any suggestions?).

Finish buying a shed load of ibuprofen and paracetemol (aspirin collection complete).

====================

If time, finish researching freeze-dried food (I need one month's supply for 6 people).
Buy a bulk of pasta and rice and use and replace on a rotational basis.

====================

Go over fire safety and intruder protocols with my family.

Consider keeping a stash of cash in the house (I really hate this idea tbh).
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Sethorly, have you considered a dehydrator to augment your food stocks ?

You've fair been cracking on with getting your stuff together, well done. As for cash around the house, you probably have more than you realise anyway, do you have a coin jar to put all your smash ? Some of these have hundreds in them for example, no harm in getting it converted to notes and sticking somewhere safe for emergencies. There's a good chance that if things do occur then either the electric supplies or the banks computer system might be affected, people might just empty them in panic too.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

You will have to look hard to find Iodine for water treatment as the EU do not like it.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Hamradioop wrote:You will have to look hard to find Iodine for water treatment as the EU do not like it.
Its also not good for certain medical conditions, Thyroid and Pregnancy to name but two.

Chlorine based treatments are probably better, same as standard mains water treatment.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar