Prepping for future unemployment. and future work.

How are you preparing
dannytsg

Re: Prepping for future unemployment. and future work.

Post by dannytsg »

DustyDog wrote:Ok, for the first time in many years i face possible unemployment, the hotel i work for is up for sale and so i could be losing my job. So thanks to my ongoing food preps, i'm not going to go hungry etc and with prepping the house will continue to run etc, being a chef, i have done my share of working split shifts, starting at 7.45 in the morning and finally going home at 10 at night with a few hours in the afternoon, heading towards being 50 years old, i think i'm getting a bit to old for that, it's a young mans job.

So, bearing in mind that i live in a small rural town, where you are 20 miles from the nearest 'bigger' town, what would you do???, me and Mrs DD started thinking of what we could do as self employed people in our small town and have come up with sod all :lol: there are plenty of pubs, cafes, take aways, off licences, the usual shops, so can my fellow preppers give ideas of what me and Mrs or just me (Mrs DD still in safe-ish job) could do to earn a living, i'm not greedy, so not looking at being a £100.000 a year tycoon, jus any ideas that maybe we have not thought of. A bit of a daft question to ask really as i know there are so many variables, what skills i have etc, but you never know, there could be a "why didnt i think of that" moment.. Just a thought.
The best kind of small businesses are in sectors that potential customers don't necessarily like carrying out. 3 years ago my wife was unable to return to her full time job as a nurse after the birth of our daughter. After a year of doing nothing I encouraged her to start working for herself and she chose to do ironing from home.

In the last 2 years she has expanded to now not only do ironing but also domestic house cleaning as well as commercial cleaning contracts and has 1 employee. I think the reason she has been so successful is because these types of domestic jobs a lot of people either A; don't have time for or B; cannot be bothered due to the tediousness.

What I will say is that if you do your research and find what you want to do, you need to fully commit to it and no "half arse" it. Putting all your effort in and being relentless will really reap the rewards.

Good luck
Wild Camping motto - "Pitch Late, leave early and leave no trace"

Volunteer Parks and Forest Ranger in the RMBC district

http://www.uksaa.uk
adrian007

Re: Prepping for future unemployment. and future work.

Post by adrian007 »

Couple of thoughts here...

When I was an IFA I had a client who ran one of those little hot dog stalls. He had a decent pitch, on a pedestrianised high street in a town about 50 miles away.

He only did this on Saturdays... he reckoned a sunny Saturday would earn him £1000. Appreciate, he had to stand there on the rainy saturdays as well...

The other day i stopped at the local Bacon Butty/burger van on the roadside. It's a couple that run it, mostly 6 days a week.

VOSA were using the same car park for lorry inspections... I was chatting and they said they didn't like it when VOSA sowed up, their daily takings dropped by about £400. They were still busy... just less busy. My mind boggles at what their daily take must be that it can drop by £400...

Anyway, my point is, fast food - direct to the customer - that makes you the money, not someone else.

Next idea - Chimney Sweep. I know someone who has taken this up and does really well. This can lead onto selling firewood as a sideline. You get a new job and include your hobby as a sideline :-)
butterbean

Prepping for future unemployment. and future work.

Post by butterbean »

How's the situation now?

There must be something out there. How about an online lunch service, there is often office buildings with somebody taking sandwiches round to the workers at lunch. How about setting up a website with a menu and letting people have an account, they can log in in the morning, order lunch, pay through PayPal or similar, and you make it and deliver it. I'm sure you could work out a route and times, a cut off order time. I know my office could do with something like that, quite often people don't have cash when these people come round or don't like the choice that is left. When you think how much people spend in shops at lunchtimes the mind boggles, easily between £5-10 a day, definitely worth considering if the situation calls for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!