What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
izzy_mack

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by izzy_mack »

Might have to Forgecorvus, though as a rule I avoid evilbay (love it) and such, easy to get carried away, postage often high and living in the Highlands often get surcharges on delivery which makes things even more. Thats if they will deliver, often excluded from offers with a " no delivery to certain postcodes"

Still I could have a look for ideas, might give my other the credit/debit cards to take to work and look while he's out of the house to avoid temptation.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

built myself another inverter box.. had the battery sat there / modified sin wave inverter/ socket/ fuses and cable

so box was £16

12v socket was £6 ((good quality one))

isolator key switch £7.99

battery clamps £7 a pair

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pUFDyD]

to charge i have a 12v 4ah smart charger with a fag lighter plug in place of croc clips

fag socket is constantly live,.. inverter is on the key switch (when on red led strip lights up)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
hobo

Post by hobo »

Nabbed this idea from another site. Ordered one to try out as a possible Christmas present to everyone!

EDC Fire Kit
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K ... ge_o01_s00
jansman

Post by jansman »

hobo wrote:Nabbed this idea from another site. Ordered one to try out as a possible Christmas present to everyone!

EDC Fire Kit
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K ... ge_o01_s00
Let me know how you get on with that hobo. I have been looking at that and wondering.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Will do. Not expecting great things from the lightstick - would probably replace with a tinder stick or fire powder vial (I ordered a refill pack at the same time).
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

In light of the likely power outs we ordered my Mum-in-law a single burner campingaz stove and gas bottles.
Although my eldest daughter lives with the mum-in-law and will come over to ours when needed a hot drink goes a long way in a power out situation.
I was not a massive fan when she decided to go all electric.
I also took my wife's UV-5R radio to the pub for my birthday drink with my son-in-law. My almost 7 year old grandson did have fun on the PMR channels talking to me, dash, the wife can get me even there and I paid for the extra thumb print on my head.
Joking aside. I also ordered another Baofeng UV-5R for my grandson's Christmas prezzie with the express instructions that he will not use Ham frequ's until he understands about radios and passes his FL test.
The secondary thinking is that there will be a decent radio in their house for when it's needed other than the 'Goodnight granddad' which will no doubt happen lol.

I love being the grey wolf that loves to prep with his pack,
Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
SkyWatcher

Post by SkyWatcher »

Opened up our fireplace ready for installation of a log burner, finally!! Can't wait as our house is gas and electric so no heat or hot water in event of a power cut. Now, just got to build up a supply of firewood! :D
Area 11

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Once the SHTF thousands of other people are gonna want the same as you. What do you think your chances are of getting it?.......
Djorn

Post by Djorn »

- ShadowCompanyGhost -

Nothing wrong with a BB gun, I have thought about getting one myself for personal protection when WTSHTF, even 18 steel BB being dispatched at 450FPS would make anybody duck, I have even thought about hunting with them but tbh the impact damage just isn't enough for a clean kill. I have just purchased a Stoeger x20 Air Rifle and a Crosman 2240 Air Pistol, both .22 pellet. Got the Rifle zero at 25 yards and getting good grouping out to 35 yards. Made a tin can "bunny" target, grass height approx 25 yards, domed pellet went clean through, pointy pellet just off centre, hollow made a nasty mess of the can. The pistol is fun to shot but at 5.5lb you are looking at reduced distance and lack of scope more point and hope then Aim and assured kill.

Then I decided to look at a Crossbow, something that could in an event take down a Deer, Sheep etc. Went for a 175lb crossbow....OMFG I both love it and am scared of it, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it, still looking for a decent target to practice on as the bolts pretty much destroy normal archery targets and layers of cardboard and form may as well be chocolate.

Thanks for reading.

Dj
A Prepper is for life, not just for Doomsday !!
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Just be aware once its stuck its err stuck it grips very strongly and is a one shot type thing when you apply it they advocate using a decorators roller to press it down i just laid a magazine over it and smoothed it down with my hand
Duly noted! It's arrived :D now to put it in place... Given your warning I might find slow glow-in-the-dark arrow shaped stickers for the LED torches.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

Busy day today. Went Pike fishing at first light on a lake that belongs to a customer of mine. He wants the Pike removing. So I am dropping them into the river at the back(mind you there is no shortage in the river either. So I took the last one ,the smallest about 7lb and brought it home to eat. I don't normally but they're not exactly endangered round here.
This afternoon I built more staging in one of the greenhouses and a new bed in the polytunnel to house Aubergines next year. My Wife loves them(I think they are awful!), so we shall have a go. Next to those I shall be growing melons too.
After all that I had a shower and shave, and just as I was about to sit down and light the stoves, my neighbour turned up with a truck full of cherry tree! And there is more tomorrow! But I never turn down free fuel.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.