owned home vs rent

How are you preparing
butterbean

owned home vs rent

Post by butterbean »

(EDIT: just realized i posted this in the wrong area, i was looking at this section whilst thinking about homes- could a MOD move it?)

hi all

people in rented accommodation

when choosing to bug in, has anybody given thought to what would happen with the owner.
eg, living in private rented house, SHTF - some sort of financial collapse, you have made preps to bug in, but the land lord comes around and says out the house, he needs it for some reason or another, obviously a contract covers you in everyday circumstances but if there's some sort of chaos, what happens then? or if the contract is about to run out in the near future and he tells you hes not renewing? are all bets off and you treat him the same as a marauder? or do you say ok, its your house, and just pack up your things into a shopping trolley and leave

has anybody else given this much though?

id be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
Plymtom

Re: owned home vs rent

Post by Plymtom »

Chances are most rented property is where your landlord type would prefer not to bug out to, but thing is in normal times you are protected by agreements, other than that the landlords are no different than any other threat you may face are they not?
I would be interested to know where my landlord lived in relation to the property I was renting if I found it a worry they would evict me in favour of a relative or friend in desperate times, because if things got that bad then the property would have to be close to their own ( in a city at any rate) in order to offer a sufficient refuge for who they had in mind.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

that was something i was thinking about, i live on the edge of the city, im pretty sure the landlord is very close by, i know he has family further away, so in the back of my mind i was thinking its a possibility he would want us out so he could get people in to be near him
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Being a landlord with my wife , we have 2 properties both within 10 miles of our own home , given there location, lower lying ,both overlooked , both with nosey neighbours ,one terraced ,one semi both 3 bed like our own home ,I would not go to evict them out of there home ,yes as been said a contract ,shtf not valid etc, but well it's not ours it's the banks .......... So they would be cast off into the general devistation untill normality resumed .

Relatives, friends would be accommodated with us.

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
bikerjoe83

Post by bikerjoe83 »

Personally, if the STHF and plunges the country into chaos where contracts become null and void, I'd be inclined to decide that the house I've been renting is now mine and anyone who tries to take it (i.e. put my family in harms way) will face the wrath of someone who puts his family first.

My Landlord could try and force his way in but without an army of heavy set men, we won't be leaving until the country is restored.

If the chaos is so bad that the Landlord could use force to get me out, I'd be at the stage of blocking all entrances/windows anyway to keep the chavs from nicking my valuables.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I used to wonder (when I had a mortgage) what would happen too. In a financial collapse for instance, the banks could not possibly take back all those properties. Who would they sell them on to to recoup their loss?
My Daughter and partner are moving into a rented property a few doors from us. That landlord wants them in ASAP to avoid squatters etc. He even gave them a couple of months rent-free to cover the notice on their flat. Landlords are not all bad.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Its the same with the council, im in a council property, many around me are private, but its a low priced area and im pretty sure these are not the houses they would want to snatch back in any hurry, more they would leave us to get on with it.
its a good point though, I was reading about what happened in bosnia I think, each street became its own guard and area, I live in a close, it wouldnt take much to barracade it so these 13 houses were closed to outsides, although I dont recon there are any other preppers but me, could be awkward :?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
munchh

Post by munchh »

AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

In a real SHTF scenario surely the logical thing to do for the landlord would be to snatch (and hold) an empty property near to them, rather than bugger a tenant about who is likely to be very anti and might just torch the place with the landlord in situ?
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Sorry being an actual landlord , emmm no is the simple answer . So you throw the tennant out , instant problem outside the door your behind .

I really dont get this now ........ :roll:

having re read it , yes empty . Got it , but why would an empty property be better than your own home that is funished and have your stores in it .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.