What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
Crows

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by Crows »

aldhelm - (when SHTF) why not duct tape a camera onto the bottom and feed the video on to a laptop and use it as a form of security/surveillance?
To prep or not to prep?

There is no question!
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Its great when things come together. I have lost hot water in my flat and needed a shower. Two electric kettles, one infra red digital thermometer and a watering can later I was sorted. Not quite enough water to wash my hair too, but it was doable and I am all clean.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
jansman

Post by jansman »

nickdutch wrote:Its great when things come together. I have lost hot water in my flat and needed a shower. Two electric kettles, one infra red digital thermometer and a watering can later I was sorted. Not quite enough water to wash my hair too, but it was doable and I am all clean.
Great! Necessity is the Mother of Invention.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Nice idea Crows, I knew somebody would come up with something, just gotta keep from crashing it until then :lol: , I suppose I could always use it to dive bomb anyone trying to break in, I'd be good at that.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

nickdutch wrote:Its great when things come together. I have lost hot water in my flat and needed a shower. Two electric kettles, one infra red digital thermometer and a watering can later I was sorted. Not quite enough water to wash my hair too, but it was doable and I am all clean.
http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/travel-acce ... oCGz_w_wcB

Just need a hook into a beam above the bath

:-)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:

There's also this, no idea how good it is. Price might be a clue but worth a look maybe....

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/sola ... wer-296997
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:

There's also this, no idea how good it is. Price might be a clue but worth a look maybe....

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/sola ... wer-296997

looks identical to me :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I think a watering can is a much better idea than those showers - I used to have one, from Wilko, and the water gets to lukewarm, fine, thats plenty good enough, but the shower nozzle is (or was) only pushed in, not screwed in, so it tends to pop out at inconvenient moments, and its *tiny* - you can see how tiny from the pix. I had to move it around to do anything with it. Its still a useful way to start to heat water, but as a shower, I don't think so.

ETA - you could use the nozzle itself to help you do the dishes :)
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Solar showers don't heat up properly unless its scorching hot weather. A cloudy and chilly rainy Mayday in the Shires wont cut it. With the galvanised metal watering can, you can pour hot water in that has been cooked up in the kelley kettle, on the camping gas stove or ethanol burners. You can then use a battery powered infra red thermometer and the addition of cold water to get the temperature right.

The only challenge then is the muscular control to get the water where its needed.

I suppose that ideally I would get myself more kettles, another watering can and more stoves so that I can be sure of a thorough shower and have enough hot water for my hair too. The next level of innovation would be to have a waterproof insulator to wrap around the watering can to maintain the temperature.

those plastic solar showers are crap in an emergency when you are time constrained.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

perhaps you would do better with one of these 12v showers available on ebay for less than £20.00 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Streetwize-12 ... 1545392921
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.