What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
Decaff

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by Decaff »

One step at a time will get you there Nickdutch, my youngest sisters marriage failed, they lost everything they had, home, car, even their furniture and she was left with just her clothes and a baby daughter to care for. She now rents with her young daughter, has a car, a new job and she will be through the bankruptcy this year. It does and it will get there for you. :)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

nickdutch wrote:Trying to plan income and expenditure for the coming year and working out how I am going to get the money in that I want to achieve the things that i would like and also to plan for savings and the future in general. Should it be silver? investing in insurance? Should I just sit on it and wait to see how things go when the bankruptcy is written off my record in 15 months? And how the heck am I going to get the money in? And then if a personal tragedy happens will I end up losing it all as I look after myself in the process?
The credit management has been ok during the past two years and so that will eventually translate itself into the building of a credit rating once the bankruptcy is history (after 6 years) although using credit i still find emotionally draining as there is an aspect of financial insecurity about it, but I have been able to successfully borrow when I was short and then pay it back when the anticipated money was going to come in and that worked out ok.... this time.... but then there is the anxiety of will i still be as successful if things change.
The last load of borrowing I did I did on the strength of receiving a cheque in a relatively mid term future timeframe, but if I hadn't received the cleared funds I would still have had an issue to deal with, but in practice it worked out ok.
about 75% of those expenditures were dental and medical so that couldn't have been avoided, but there was one "toy" expenditure there too, namely a high speed blender to make it easier to make smoothies from weeds (dandelion and chickweed) if I needed to gain my micro nutrition from free plants or cultivated weeds in the garden at some point when funds are low or I needed to save on the cost of vegetables.
So far I am Ok.
My own online business is still going ok, but the money is still sub standard, so that is a worry especially as I do intend on having a stable family and relationship life in the future. I have even been checking out a few jobs to see if they would be doable by me still having chronic fatigue syndrome. I dont know.

One step at a time :)
As Jansman said - it's not all about prepping for zombies, prepping for what sh*t-covered curve balls life chucks your way is far more realistic. I've had my fair share of cr*p and that's why I mostly have a 'don't give a cr*p attitude'. Regular readers may have noticed my new years resolution is to tell it like it is and not spare the expletives. I started this resolution early on the 26th when I pointed out to a family member that a third 50" television is not necessary and he'd be better off thinking less about watching the Homeland boxset on a bedroom big-screen and instead prepared for a few real-life sh*t-covered curve balls that I could see coming his way. Not what-if scenarios, actual S heading for his F. Horse, water, blah, blah, blah. Stable door, blah, blah, blah.

So, Nick, you crack on, fella. You seem to have your sh*t more sorted than most.

Briggs
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Andyfisher

Post by Andyfisher »

So just finished a three day project to prep my garage for prepping! Floor to ceiling shelves are now in place, I have built a work bench and have my first supplies in place - toilet rolls, pasta, water in 25ltr containers and a few other bits and pieces.

Trying to resist the urge to credit card the shelves to capacity...if the SHTF in the next couple of months I will kick myself but I am keeping my fingers crossed!

So a quick crowd sourcing exercise - given the news that a second Ebola patient has been admitted to hospital, are you looking to stock up on N95 masks before the prices go through the roof? I have some but not sufficient quantities if things go south. I would welcome your thoughts :)
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

FFP3 masks are recommended in most viral outbreaks. N95 is an American standard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Masks-R ... B009PPMVGC
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Andyfisher

Post by Andyfisher »

Thanks Hamradioop - have ordered some through the link provided and appreciate the feedback :)
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Went out yesterday and bought big quantities of mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots and kiwi fruits. Dried the kiwis and half the mushrooms and tomatoes yesterday and overnight so today I have a big peeling, chopping, blanching session with the remainder and all of the carrots. Fitting nicely in my kilner jars with oxy absorbers. This is such a good way to get fresh food stocks up and economical on space.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Bought a couple of little hexi stoves yesterday, £2.50 from Sports direct if anyone wants one.

The wife's winter car bag is almost done just got to get her a plastic plate, as she refuses to eat out of a mess tin. " Oh I couldn't possibly do that" so many stumbling blocks when the other half isn't on board, and is super dubious about any new experience, but I keep plugging away.

I've made my first lot of beef jerky in my dehydrator (xmas pressie) although it tastes more like biltong but I'll keep trying only problem is I'm not going to be able to store it my will power just isn't strong enough.

After the Xmas pressies I need to do a recheck on what I've got now so updating the lists is my main job next week.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

aldhelm wrote:Bought a couple of little hexi stoves yesterday, £2.50 from Sports direct if anyone wants one.

The wife's winter car bag is almost done just got to get her a plastic plate, as she refuses to eat out of a mess tin. " Oh I couldn't possibly do that" so many stumbling blocks when the other half isn't on board, and is super dubious about any new experience, but I keep plugging away.

I've made my first lot of beef jerky in my dehydrator (xmas pressie) although it tastes more like biltong but I'll keep trying only problem is I'm not going to be able to store it my will power just isn't strong enough.

After the Xmas pressies I need to do a recheck on what I've got now so updating the lists is my main job next week.
Have you tried pound land? They have those metal buffet plates with sections in? Failing that try looking for packed lunch boxes in Sainsburys that come in zipped bags, you can get boxes of individual cutlery to go with them, or even try a food thermos?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Wait till summer do a bbq get her in a deck chair and load a plate with grub and see how she manages ;) a mess tin makes sitting in a car or on a deck chair a less messy occasion :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Wait till summer do a bbq get her in a deck chair and load a plate with grub and see how she manages ;) a mess tin makes sitting in a car or on a deck chair a less messy occasion :lol:
LMAO That'd be worth seeing, if I'm still having the same problems with her by then I'll post the pictures :)

Good idea Decaff there's got to be something suitable for her ladyship there. Thanks.

BTW We went shopping earlier and I picked up some flavoured pork strips to do in the dehydrator and a load more toilet rolls. And Asda had some 50 odd litre boxes in stock for £3 which I can use to organise some of the stuff I'v already got.